Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hey guys,

My wife and I are going down to Fairbanks for a few days next week. Passed thru there once a few years ago but not familiar with it. Any suggestions on good eating places and other things to do?

Thanks,
Dave

" The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson.

Molon Labe
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
PM/hook up with Randy 2 legit. But ya gotta be quick to grab the check, he's fast.

Do it today. Tomorrow there may be a law against it.
NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Chena Pump House is nice and has pretty good food.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1. The best meal I have ever eaten in my entire life was last Sept at Alaska land/pioneer park - The salmon bake. It was a $30 buffet with all you could eat prime rib, salmon, and crab legs, plus all the trimmings & veggies. It's not open at this time of year, just offering this for those who may be visiting Fairbanks when they are open, in season.

2. Another very good buffet that sticks out in my mind, is a sports type bar In North Pole, it has the bar downstairs and the buffet upstairs. Located on the north side of the highway.

3. One of the best burgers I have ever eaten was in North Pole, right near safeway, but I'll be danged if I can recall the name. Sports bar type of place.

Number 2 & 3 were like 6 years ago, so memory is not serving. I hope Randy can name these places based off my descriptions.

Pikes landing has good food, but a touch spendy.

Pizza hut in North pole, bad service, but tastey grub.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pikes Landing has a great ambiance during warm weather, A very nice outside deck overlooking the Chena river,I guess that wont apply next week, However the food was great.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
+1 on getting a reco from the Ranster.

I bet BIF Bear In Fairbanks knows a place or too.

15 years ago I would have been more help, but things have changed.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mesabi
Chena Pump House is nice and has pretty good food.

The Pump House is just that. It was a water pump house smile that pumped water to the hydraulic giants to remove the overburden to access the gold-bearing gravels. It was turned into a restaurant in the 80s (IIRC).

The "Senator Saloon" is named for Frank the Bank (Liiisa's daddy) who helped get the PH on the Nat'l. Historic Register when he was the senator. I always called it the "drunken senator saloon". smile The McKinley burger with a couple pints of AK amber used to be a Friday night highlight.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
sep Offline
S
I like the Turtle Club in Fox for prime rib and Pagodas in North Pole for great chinese food.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think the best place to eat in the Fairbanks area currently is the Silver Gulch in Fox. Great food and an extensive beer selection, local, domestic, and imported.

[Linked Image]
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Mayan Palace for Mexican Style.

Big Daddy's for BBQ.

Brewster's for Burgers.

Turtle Club for Prime Rib.

Llavelle's Bistro for Yuppie Style Food.

Pagoda's in NP is best for Chinese Food.

Breakfast at Hilltop.

Chicken Fried Steak at the Cookie Jar.

Sincerely,
Thomas

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 for the Pagoda... and a slice of strawberry rheubarb pie at The Hilltop.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd agree that the Pagoda is very good.

but we prefer Thai food, Thai house downtown is our fave, but Bahn Thai, Pad Thai are both good too.

think Mike/Peterbilt was referring to Elf's Den in NP, change of ownership last few years. the burger joint in NP he referred to is Food Factory, closed in NP, still open in FBKS by Sam's Club

I have good eatin joints close to home, the Vallata is still my fave for fine dining, but no flies on the Turtle Club, though I prefer their seafood over the prime rib, but their salad bar is what i really love, simple, limited selection, but oh so good.

imo best ribs in town was at Sockeye's/Players, shut down as the owner got pinched growing 200+ what looked like parsley plants

Pump house is often good, sometimes not so good, great Sunday breakfast buffet love their flown in fresh oysters

also fond of Ivory Jacks, down the road from the Vallata on Goldstream road, Silver Gulch and TC are at the other end and I do like SG beer, specially their pick axe porter

one of my fave sandwich/soup shops is Chowder house, good food

also for dining I really like Zach's in Sophie Station but much prefer to eat in the bar, very comfortable and great food

Ajimi is a great little Japanese place down the street from Chowder house

Oasis serves good cheesesteaks and other grub, but a bit of a dive, but sometimes I like that

it's a good place to get fat for such a small town

as far as stuff to do, not much, in March we'll have the Ice Art Championships that are actually worth coming here for and dog mushing events, but imo dog mushing ain't much of a spectator sport

UAF often has college b-ball but they ain't all that good these days, had a few glory years when Sokitas coached them.

UAF museum is cool but small, don't know why they built such a big azz fancy bldg for it

there's all kinds of local theater production that happens here it seems but we don't take much of it in, we get our social needs pretty well fulfilled at work and spend the rest of the time at our kids ball games it seems

you can always get a massage for two at Elements (shameless plug) my wife's salon/spa or get the missus a pedicure, manicure or her hair done up, all your body hair waxed off (yikes) I'm trying to talk them into offering the frozen OJ concentrate, shave yer junk package, but they ain't big thinkers like Northern Dave, even though I certainly benefit from any dollars spent there, I will have to admit, the place is very, very nice and momma would probably enjoy her time there if she likes to be pampered

other than that, it's just the usual shoppin stuff that ain't in Barrow....yet, Walmart, Frontier Outfitters, SW, Barnes and Noble etc.

give me a jingle when you're in town Steve, life is resuming to normal hectic instead of super hectic (gettin her new place opened up last month) 388-4515, if time and schedule permit, would love to have a cuppa with you or buy you a drink, and have a FTF, though even our normal hectic doesn't leave us a lot of free time.

going thru the lists, you should be able to grab a good meal, see some stuff not before you every day and relax a bit.

if you have time or inclination, would love to hear from you and see if we could get together. Randy

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good post on the eateries, Randy! I'm tempted to print dat out for future visits..

NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks to everyone for all of the information; looks like I will be eating 24/7! LOL Looking forward to getting down to the "big city".

" The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson.

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by arctic338
Hey guys,

My wife and I are going down to Fairbanks for a few days next week. Passed thru there once a few years ago but not familiar with it. Any suggestions on good eating places and other things to do?

Thanks,
Dave

It's the Turtle Club, hands down for prime rib. Nobody (except my wife) does it better. Out in Fox about 10 miles.
For Italian, it's Geraldo's on College Road. The other Italian place, Gambardella's on 2nd Ave. seems to be "iffy" at times.
For Oriental, we like the Pagoda in North Pole and, since it's pretty close to our house, we go there quite often.
Another Oriental place we like is Lin's Asian Bistro. On Airport Rd., across from the movie theater. It's got a full menu and has sushi, if you like that.
The Pump House, as mentioned above on Chena Pump Rd. is pretty good as well.
Since we don't care for the owner of Pike's, we don't go there.
Another place you never hear of is Zack's on Univ. Ave. It's upstairs in the hotel complex. Nice atmosphere.
The Salmon Bake mentioned above is in AlaskaLand (we old timers still call it that) but it's only seasonal so isn't open now.
Another place that has since reopened after the owner was killed in a vehicle accident is Little Richard's Diner. (Harley's to you local old timers). Off the Rich Hiway about a mile west of North Pole towards Fbks. Atmosphere is a 1950's style diner, complete with music, period posters, etc. Since it's so small, it can get kinda crowded but has REAL JUMBO buffalo burgers & milk shakes. If ya have lunch there, I don't think you'll want dinner later.
Finally, for Mexican, we usually go to Gallo's at the intesection of College & Illinois. Pretty good & clean. They have soappapea's (sp?) AND flan. UMMMM!!
This list oughta keep ya fat, dumb & happy for quite awhile. Enjoy your time in the burg.
Later, Bear in Fairbanks

Last edited by Bear_in_Fairbanks; 01/30/11.

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bahn Thai is another good one if you like Thai.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by sep
I like the Turtle Club in Fox for prime rib and Pagodas in North Pole for great chinese food.

+1, After spending 10 days in the Brooks, prime rib at the Turtle Club really hit the spot!

"A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends upon the character of the user" ~ Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When did the Food Factory in NP close Randy?

My favorite restaurants in and around Squarebanks are:

Turtle Club

Pagoda

Elfs Den

Badgers Den (for grill your own steak)

Pump House

Silver Gulch Saloon

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[quote=AkMtnHntr]Turtle Club

Pagoda

Elfs Den
/quote] & My house... http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_...ts-Alaska-in-world-championship-cookoff? there fixed it for u wink

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
2legit2quit "I have good eatin joints close to home, the Vallata is still my fave for fine dining, but no flies on the Turtle Club, though I prefer their seafood over the prime rib, but their salad bar is what i really love, simple, limited selection, but oh so good."

+1 for the Turtle club and their prawns are huge!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,874 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,798
Posts18,477,446
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.