10 days or 10 yrs? Either way should be yood grin

Something clever here.

GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
10 days.

Have you ever heard of this happening before?

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Was it a hydro lock situation ?

Did you check the oil for fuel?

With 200k on the engine it should be so clapped out that the starter should spin it like the spark plugs are missing. lol!

Something clever here.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
No oil in the fuel, I do know that it goes through about 2 quarts of oil per 3k miles and think its going out the exhaust cause there is no oil leaks under my vehicle.

The antifreeze is nice and green the oil looks normal but every once in a while at startup it smokes.....especially if I dont drive it for a while.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
And yes I think it was a hydro-lock situation

IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
drinking oil past the valve stem seals I suppose?

Something clever here.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Thats my guess.

I aint putting too much money in the thing, it has been a very good vehicle and in reality since I owned it I probably put less than $500 into repairs in it.

I guess I will drive her till she dies than get a different one or replace the motor.....I can do that.

Wonder if i could shoehorn in a double overhead cam 4.6L? grin

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Tom264

Wonder if i could shoehorn in a double overhead cam 4.6L? grin

Stick the new Boss 302 in it. laugh

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Actually I have been watching Mike Rowes durability tests on the new 3.7 Ecoboost...wow.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Me too. Impressive.

Some day....

Something clever here.

IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Uncle_Dusty
could be.over 500/000 grin

By the way, nice welding on the lower kingpin ear on that axle housing.

grin

Someday you'll have to tell me the story of how you managed to break it in the first place.

grin

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
They have my attention with that one too. By the time I'm ready in a few years to buy a new rig, I'm hoping they have the bugs worked out.

With the luck I'm having with my Tundra, it's going to be a hard sell to go a different route though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tom with the good things you keep sayin about the tundra, I think I might have to get me one once I get back workin, especially if I'm stayin up here, which I kinda hope I am. I hate the cold but once a Minnesotan always a Minnesotan I guess

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Well, remember what I said about making sure you aren't too nice to your old fords?

Well I crawled under the old plow truck with some 80-90 weight oil and a grease gun. Filled the differntials, the front axle knuckles, transfer case, transmission, rear diff. Then started greasing.

I discovered a bad u joint on the transfer case input. So I replaced it.

Then I went to start the truck to back it out of the garage... click-click...

Well I knew the starter had been hanging up on the flywheel & not kicking back, acting up pretty terrible actually. Well it just plain died right there tonight.

So, I pulled that damn thing off and tore it apart. Ouch! Starter drive linkage busted and the drive gear looked pretty bad. Plus the whole thing was just full of dirt.

Well I robbed guts out of the starter that busted on the 77 half ton earlier this week and junk yarded a starter together. I decided to replace the cable from the solenoid to the starter too.... which lead to a broken solenoid crazy

I had an extra out on the blue donor truck...

Good news is the starter is awesome, hasn't cranked like that for a couple of years.

Bad news is while I was goofing around under the hood I noticed that the water pump is on it's way out. Pump shaft is very loose, I'm sure it's been leaking antifreeze.

Oh and the snowmobile with what I thought was a broken chain, well the chain is fine, it turns out the upper drive housing bearing is gone. I'm afraid it's so bad that the housing is shot.

It never ends.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Toyota made it an easy decision when I bought this one Ryan. I bought it used, but it was what Toyota calls a "Toyota Certified" vehicle. It has a powertrain warranty to 100K miles. Even major seals in the powertrain are covered.

There are fancier trucks out there than mine, but man I like this one from a reliabilty standpoint. It has 77K on it, this has been the time where I've had to start sinking money into all the newer trucks I've ever had. We'll see what happens here I guess.

The service I've had from them has been top notch as well. I wanted to get my tranny fluid changed because I tow a fair amount and the dealer said it's covered to 100K miles no matter what so he recommended wainting until it's time.

I'll tell you in the next 30K miles or so how I feel about it. At this point there has been a grand total of $0 in non-maintenance costs.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I also forgot to add that the Certified cars and trucks get a full service before going on the lot, a clear Car Fax report, new brakes and tires, and the 100K warranty, on top of the existing factory warranty. It's nearly better than a brand new one.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by northern_dave

It never ends.

Man your run of sucky luck is still going. It will get better, you know that. But sometimes it sure don't seem like it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Well, remember what I said about making sure you aren't too nice to your old fords?

Well I crawled under the old plow truck with some 80-90 weight oil and a grease gun. Filled the differntials, the front axle knuckles, transfer case, transmission, rear diff. Then started greasing.

I discovered a bad u joint on the transfer case input. So I replaced it.

Then I went to start the truck to back it out of the garage... click-click...

Well I knew the starter had been hanging up on the flywheel & not kicking back, acting up pretty terrible actually. Well it just plain died right there tonight.

So, I pulled that damn thing off and tore it apart. Ouch! Starter drive linkage busted and the drive gear looked pretty bad. Plus the whole thing was just full of dirt.

Well I robbed guts out of the starter that busted on the 77 half ton earlier this week and junk yarded a starter together. I decided to replace the cable from the solenoid to the starter too.... which lead to a broken solenoid crazy

I had an extra out on the blue donor truck...

Good news is the starter is awesome, hasn't cranked like that for a couple of years.

Bad news is while I was goofing around under the hood I noticed that the water pump is on it's way out. Pump shaft is very loose, I'm sure it's been leaking antifreeze.

Oh and the snowmobile with what I thought was a broken chain, well the chain is fine, it turns out the upper drive housing bearing is gone. I'm afraid it's so bad that the housing is shot.

It never ends.

yikes! aint that the way it goes, look at the bright side when you're done you'll have fixed everything on them there machines and won't have to worry about em for another 30 years

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
How much is a new starter these days? Shoot, you need 3 of em.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It does never end as it seems in our house for the past 2 months....seriously.

Thinking of having a BIG junk sale pretty soon...even the plow truck, no offense Uncle Dusty. But today the junk will have to wait because..........

PWM is 7 today!!!!!!!!! Yep the creator, visionaire of the "Chickenbuck, swamp squids, flying bears, etc", our baby. Hope YOUR day is exciting and fun filled as every birthday should be.

"I'm not crying!!"
Page 619 of 1,842 1 2 617 618 619 620 621 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

254 members (2500HD, 160user, 17CalFan, 257 mag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 23 invisible), 1,831 guests, and 954 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,368
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.