Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RufusG
Originally Posted by temmi
[quote=Etoh]

The units of pressure are lbs. (the force) divided by square inches.

No Pounds PER square inch

Hey, no kidding? Thanks for that. Just what is the difference between "divided by" and "per" though? I guess being an engineer for the last thirty plus years I never figured that out. Maybe I should have attended the University of Wikipedia.

If you actually read my post you might have noticed I was trying to explain the proportionality of force, area and pressure to someone who thinks it works backwards, and by saying "divided by" instead of "per" it might make it easier to visualize. I guess it only made it easier to gig me using google. Yep, you got me good there.

I did not mean to offend...

You being an engineer, most likely use the statements interchangeably.

I can understand why you saw it as a gig even though I did not intend it to be.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=Etoh]

The units of pressure are lbs. (the force) divided by square inches.

No Pounds PER square inch

Hey, no kidding? Thanks for that. Just what is the difference between "divided by" and "per" though? I guess being an engineer for the last thirty plus years I never figured that out. Maybe I should have attended the University of Wikipedia.

If you actually read my post you might have noticed I was trying to explain the proportionality of force, area and pressure to someone who thinks it works backwards, and by saying "divided by" instead of "per" it might make it easier to visualize. I guess it only made it easier to gig me using google. Yep, you got me good there.

I did not mean to offend...

You being an engineer, most likely use the statements interchangeably.

I can understand why you saw it as a gig even though I did not intend it to be.

Well, sorry to be offended. The "divided by" is not really a real term. But as JOG posted, in essence it means the same thing. Since I was posting about how if pressure remains the same, and pressure is force divided by area, the force and area must be proportional, I thought it would flow easier if I changed "per" to "divided by" to be more visual. But following the law of unintended consequences, it probably confused more than it helped, so maybe it wasn't that great an idea.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have shot 40 gr H110 405 gr cast 2.1" in 45 Colt brass with large rifle primer in a .410 shotgun.

45 Colt brass is very strong... except the wimpy rim.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
First of all, as a defensive round against even large bears, some 10mm loads have plenty of penetration. Double Tap's 200 gr. wide flat point pushed at 1150 fps. shoots through three 2.5 gallon water jugs placed end to end. That's about 36 inches of penetration. The only jacketed bullets I know of in the .44 Magnum that can match this are those bullets designed for .444 Marlin velocities.
Second, as far as "speed of recovery" goes in a shooting, it only matters to those that compete in matches. On the street, frankly, one of the biggest mistakes made is literally shooting too fast. Only hits count, not how fast those rounds are fired. The other thing is that if one or two central mass hits don't do the job, you'll need to stop, and put the bullet into the head. Almost impossible to do if you are doing your best to get your rounds on target as fast as possible like you would in a match.
Another thing is that the ammo companies abandon the 10mm as a combat round because they thought they could do better with a lighter gun in a higher pressure load than the watered down 10mm load in a heavier gun. So we got the 40 S&W. Smith and Wesson's 40, the 4006 is lighter and does hold more rds. One more. One only. And you have to put up with a more critical to load round in the process. No thanks. E

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Eremicus
First of all, as a defensive round against even large bears, some 10mm loads have plenty of penetration. Double Tap's 200 gr. wide flat point pushed at 1150 fps. shoots through three 2.5 gallon water jugs placed end to end. That's about 36 inches of penetration. The only jacketed bullets I know of in the .44 Magnum that can match this are those bullets designed for .444 Marlin velocities.
Second, as far as "speed of recovery" goes in a shooting, it only matters to those that compete in matches. On the street, frankly, one of the biggest mistakes made is literally shooting too fast. Only hits count, not how fast those rounds are fired. The other thing is that if one or two central mass hits don't do the job, you'll need to stop, and put the bullet into the head. Almost impossible to do if you are doing your best to get your rounds on target as fast as possible like you would in a match.
Another thing is that the ammo companies abandon the 10mm as a combat round because they thought they could do better with a lighter gun in a higher pressure load than the watered down 10mm load in a heavier gun. So we got the 40 S&W. Smith and Wesson's 40, the 4006 is lighter and does hold more rds. One more. One only. And you have to put up with a more critical to load round in the process. No thanks. E
Why sure, a FMC .357 is prolly great for bears too. As you say, no thanks.

As to the rest, how many LE agencies now issue the 10?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Clarkma
I have shot 40 gr H110 405 gr cast 2.1" in 45 Colt brass with large rifle primer in a .410 shotgun.

45 Colt brass is very strong... except the wimpy rim.
I've never loaded that.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
None that I'm aware of. Nor do any issue the .44 or .41 Magnums to my knowledge.
No, I wouldn't hunt any kind of bears with a .357 Magnum. Nor would I hunt Black Bears with the 200 gr. wide flat point Double Tap bullet. But to shoot into the skull of a grizzly, either the .357, 180 gr. wide, flat point cast or the 200 gr. wide, flat point cast load in the 10mm should work. E

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
None that I'm aware of. Nor do any issue the .44 or .41 Magnums to my knowledge.
No, I wouldn't hunt any kind of bears with a .357 Magnum. Nor would I hunt Black Bears with the 200 gr. wide flat point Double Tap bullet. But to shoot into the skull of a grizzly, either the .357, 180 gr. wide, flat point cast or the 200 gr. wide, flat point cast load in the 10mm should work. E

We weren't talking about .44 Mags and .41 Mags in regards to LE though. You were talking about the 10 v. the 40. The 40 may be even more popular than the 9 in LE right now, though I don't have the stats. There's just no real reason to carry a 10 in dangerous game country when you have better options. The 10, OTOH, still makes a lot of sense for personal defense or LE. The 10 makes a fine woods round where truly dangerous game is not on the table. I wouldn't want to tackle Griz with the 10. So for most of the lower 48, it's great.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Of course, I don't see a whole lot of difference between the 9 and the 45 either, real-world, I mean.
I will have to challenge that. Shoot, side by side, a Browning High Power in 9mm and a 1911 (standard size, all steel) in .45 ACP. Very noticeable difference in recovery time and felt recoil.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Actually we were talking about the 10mm vs. the .45 ACP.
Frankly, in my book, you are a fool to hunt grizzlys with any handgun unless you have a guy with a heavy rifle backing you up.
As far as getting the job done with a head shot, I'm confident it, the 10mm would work. I understand that Phil Shoemaker seems to think that a .357 loaded with Federal's hard cast 180 gr. bullets will work. He, of course, carries his old reliable .458 Win for serious defense against big bears. E

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RufusG

Thanks for understanding...

T

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Of course, I don't see a whole lot of difference between the 9 and the 45 either, real-world, I mean.
I will have to challenge that. Shoot, side by side, a Browning High Power in 9mm and a 1911 (standard size, all steel) in .45 ACP. Very noticeable difference in recovery time and felt recoil.
~shrugs~Maybe I wasn't clear. I know there's a difference in recoil, as far as personal perceived recoil, I can't tell a lot of difference. Part of it could be that I tend to shoot 45 autos for pleasure more than my 9's. As such, lots of times I'm shooting standard ball ammo or not-real-hot reloads with the 45. With the 9, I'm usually shooting hot, bordering on real hot stuff.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Actually we were talking about the 10mm vs. the .45 ACP.
Frankly, in my book, you are a fool to hunt grizzlys with any handgun unless you have a guy with a heavy rifle backing you up.
As far as getting the job done with a head shot, I'm confident it, the 10mm would work. I understand that Phil Shoemaker seems to think that a .357 loaded with Federal's hard cast 180 gr. bullets will work. He, of course, carries his old reliable .458 Win for serious defense against big bears. E

Another thing is that the ammo companies abandon the 10mm as a combat round because they thought they could do better with a lighter gun in a higher pressure load than the watered down 10mm load in a heavier gun. So we got the 40 S&W. Smith and Wesson's 40, the 4006 is lighter and does hold more rds.

On the hunting thing, I think most here who are toting the 10 in Griz country are doing so for personal protection and not hunting purposes. If I go hunting for a Griz, it will be with a 45-70 or the like, in a rifle. I will have a 44 Mag. or 45 Colt for backup.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
~shrugs~Maybe I wasn't clear. I know there's a difference in recoil, as far as personal perceived recoil, I can't tell a lot of difference. Part of it could be that I tend to shoot 45 autos for pleasure more than my 9's. As such, lots of times I'm shooting standard ball ammo or not-real-hot reloads with the 45. With the 9, I'm usually shooting hot, bordering on real hot stuff.
That explains it.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
The .45 ACP is perfect just the way it is. It was designed to be as low pressure as they could manage, because it�s a military cartridge and lower pressure is always preferred over higher pressure for military applications for a lot of reasons.

In the case of the .45 ACP and most other handgun cartridges pressure is incidental and important only as a factor in bolt thrust. Parts will start breaking down due to bolt thrust long before a barrel suffers pressure damage.

The top handguns during the development of the .45 ACP ran at around 3,500 lbs. of thrust. My guess is that Browning used that as his design limit. Since the .451" diameter was already mandated the pressure was limited by default.

its just a linear momentum problem, if your going to use bolt thrust lets throw in bullet thrust. pressure is more important , if the other were correct the various makers of barrels would have never made supported ramps, beefed up the 1911 to the LAR grizzly, made 38 super + brass, invented the 9x23, wild catted the 10 to the 35 Dillon, on and on.
so the higher pressure 308 was accepted over the lower pressure 30-06.
the 45 and 10 are what they are today because of the gamers, not the other way around, they are responsible for the market demand which gave better parts to replace most of the pos stuff in the earlier colts. which brings up another question why do IPSC and action shooters use the 40 instead of the 10?
congrats to the poster who can shoot a hot 10 faster than a major 45 in the same configuration -- you have just done what 10000 IPSC shooters have tried to do for 20 years and failed. The whip down you describe is called the "pogo stick effect" and is the last thing you want.
Multiple shots may not be somes forte, but a controlled pair or a double tap will beat a single any day.
and why are muzzle brakes on pistols called compensators and when on a rifle they are called muzzle brakes?.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If "pressure is more important" than bolt thrust in handgun design, explain the design differences between the 24,000-psi .22 Long Rifle and the 21,000-psi .45 ACP.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now when it comes to grizzly bears gents, I will agree 100% with "Eremicus", this critters are faster than you can imagine and can soak up lead like a spronge does water.

I have personally seen what grizzly can do and the effects of 4 men shooting at it while it charged. Only a brain shot stopped that bear that day and the other 6 shots that hit didn't even slow him down. No sir! I want a damn big rifle facing one of those charging bears and the minmum pistol caliber for me would be the .44mag........pray I never had to use it too.

Now on subject, the 10mm is more versital than the .45acp, it shoots faster, flatter and will expand a HP bullet out to 3/4 of an inch and also out penetrate the .45acp.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Bolt thrust is a really bad term. Its really an impulse. thrust is the stuff rockets and jets use. rate of change of mass with respect to time. Which configuration--- a 22 conversion kit used on a kimber 45 frame? not alot except ones a blow back and the other doesn't. Again an apples and orange comparison. How about something like a browning hp with side cuts that won't take the pressure without splitting when compared to a barsto in a 1911 configuration? A little more to the point.
the op stated the conditions that use factory loads, but if you get reloading in to it, the 10 is neither flatter, faster or more expandable than the 45. For me a min. on the bear charge would be a 454 casull or a 500 sw.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Tonk
Now when it comes to grizzly bears gents, I will agree 100% with "Eremicus", this critters are faster than you can imagine and can soak up lead like a spronge does water.

I have personally seen what grizzly can do and the effects of 4 men shooting at it while it charged. Only a brain shot stopped that bear that day and the other 6 shots that hit didn't even slow him down. No sir! I want a damn big rifle facing one of those charging bears and the minmum pistol caliber for me would be the .44mag........pray I never had to use it too.

Now on subject, the 10mm is more versital than the .45acp, it shoots faster, flatter and will expand a HP bullet out to 3/4 of an inch and also out penetrate the .45acp.

the pistol to use when a Grizzly bear is chewin on you?
Is for shootin yourself in the noggin and ending the agony!

You might kill the bear with one too, but odds are on the bear!
You might as well make it easier for him!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Etoh
Bolt thrust is a really bad term. Its really an impulse. thrust is the stuff rockets and jets use. rate of change of mass with respect to time. Which configuration--- a 22 conversion kit used on a kimber 45 frame? not alot except ones a blow back and the other doesn't. Again an apples and orange comparison. How about something like a browning hp with side cuts that won't take the pressure without splitting when compared to a barsto in a 1911 configuration? A little more to the point.

Yep, "bolt thrust" is a horrible term. It's rifle terminology and since semi-autos and revolvers don't really have "bolts" in the rifle sense it doesn't fit. I'm all for someone inventing a new term. You're spot on that bolt thrust is an impulse: Area x Pressure

The '.22 LR vs. .45 ACP' design question was intended to show that despite the higher pressure of the .22 LR very few elements are needed to manage it. The .45 ACP on the other hand requires a locked breech and a comparatively delicate balance between Barrel/slide weight and spring weight. Those elements are not needed to manage pressure - they manage bolt thrust. Similarly, the 9mm +P operates at a higher pressure than the 10mm Auto, but it would be hard to argue the 10mm Auto is easier on pistols.

It's no big feat for barrels, cylinders, or chambers to handle 50,000-psi. The trick is designing the supporting cast - the pins, slide stops, cylinder bolts, frames, and springs that have to take the pounding.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

128 members (6mmbrfan, 907brass, 3333vl, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 673, 15 invisible), 1,961 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,893
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.