Print Thread
Hop To
X
XLTFX4 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
X
I took the buttplate off my recently aquired 99EG .300 Savage to check the tightness of the buttstock/ action screw. I understand that it should be tight but not gorilla tight. Anyway I tried to loosen the screw and I couldn't budge it. It is either too tight or the oil on the screw dried and cemented the screw on. Leave it alone or try harder to get it off?

While I had things apart, I noticed it had the serial number stamped into the stock and it had the manufacture? date stamped in ink below the serial number: March 16, 1945. Was this typical to have the date stamped in ink?

Also, I noticed the serial number stamped stamped on the inside face of the buttplate. Oddly, it was correct except the 3rd number. 426xxx instead of the actual serial number of 427xxx. Is this another never say never thing?

Thanks to all who reply.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NRA Endowment Life member
NYSRPA Life member
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Pends on why you need to take the stock off. If you don't have too....why mess with it?

What if you strip the screw head or break it or crack the tang trying to twist too hard? For what?

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Leave the stock bolt alone but post pictures of the date stamp...first I have heard.

Andrew
X
XLTFX4 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
X
Well, I understood that you have to take the buttstock off to check that there is clearance for the upper and lower tang to avoid the stock splitting. Besides, don't you have to remove the stock to clean the action?

I knew when I put it back together I should have taken a pic. Ok, I'll have to dig it out again and remove the plate.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NYSRPA Life member
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hey, you asked:

Impact wrench should take it right off. Then your broken gun will be nice and clean wink

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
That date stamp from that era has surfaced in the last few months - this is not the first. Just a flash in the pan effort apparently.

If you don't have a tang crack by now I wouldn't screw with it. Not much inside there that needs cleaning so don't lose any sleep over that.

X
XLTFX4 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
X
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
That date stamp from that era has surfaced in the last few months - this is not the first. Just a flash in the pan effort apparently.

If you don't have a tang crack by now I wouldn't screw with it. Not much inside there that needs cleaning so don't lose any sleep over that.

OK, great, that really answers my questions. The date stamp may have had a reason back then, or at least they thought that it did. Nice part is that it definitely dates the manufacture date of the rifle. Thanks.

Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NYSRPA Life member
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I agree with Lightfoot in that IF the action, safety, etc. is working fine, why risk damaging the wood to remove the rear stock. But, if you NEED to remove the rear stock, I would spray the SMALLEST amount of PB blaster (using a plastic tube) down into where the bolt head is, leave the rifle standing barrel down for an hour, then with a flashlight (to line up blade) and a tire iron (type from GM cars of the 70's) try to remove the stock. IMHO the tire iron blade (hub cap removing part) fits the stock bolt slot perfectly, and the diameter of the tire iron keeps it centered in the round hole in the stock. It's a trick I learned here from Don or Jed (can't remember who). I'm not doing the work, so use your better judgment. I've heard stories of cracked stocks or tools coming out the side, but it's never happened to me. -TomT

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
X
XLTFX4 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
X
TomT: Might as well leave it alone, like it's been said, but that's a very clever idea for removal!

Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NYSRPA Life member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think this is the 2nd or 3rd from that timeframe where it had the date. Definitely not normal outside of this, tho. Would you mind giving us one more digit, and leave just the last 2 x'd out? Would like it for my records.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Or you could do what I do and just hacksaw the stock off through the wrist to get at the bolt with a pair of ViceGrips. A little Elmer's Glue when your all finished and no one will be the wiser. (Ah sheesh, now some dumb elbow out in the sticks will actually try that.)

As others have said, leaving well enough alone should do no harm. That said, I'm kind of anal about stripping any new gun down for a thorough inspection/cleaning just for peace-of-mind that there aren't any gremlins hiding in there that'll jump out and bite me in the ass when I least want them to. Or at least to clean up a century's-worth of dried grease and oil.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
X
XLTFX4 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
X
Calhoun: PM sent.

Ideally, it would be nice to clean but considering the tiny amount of use that it will ever see from me, it's probably completely not necessary.

Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NYSRPA Life member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
now i'am going to have to check my 446o0o

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In the past I have used a slotted screw driver bit on a 3/8" drive ratchet. That being said the rifles were of no concern as they were parts rifles and I never had an issue with breaking the stock, bolt or any other issues. Just a little more mechanical advantage and it came loose. I would be very careful if I was doing this on a good rifle.

Blair

X
XLTFX4 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
X
Originally Posted by norm99
now i'am going to have to check my 446o0o

It would be pretty interesting if others would check WWII vintage 99 rifles to see if they also had a date stamp under the buttplate. There had to be a reason for it since it wasn't done all the time.

Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NYSRPA Life member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have letters for 44 and 46 I think and don't remember ever seeing a date stamp... Though I am not sure I ever took them apart.

Andrew
X
XLTFX4 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
X
Hah, a probable answer to the buttplate number. Took the forearm off and noticed that someone stamped it 426 also instead of 427, like the buttplate. In this case they stamped a 7 over the 6 to correct it.

Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NYSRPA Life member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Can't check the buttplate on my lucky EG for a date since it's a replacement, but I do have a "5" stamped on the bottom of the barrel like you do. That's 2, so maybe it does mean 194"5". Be interesting to know if anybody else with 425,000 thru 432,000 series shooters had dates on the buttplate or a number on the bottom of the barrel.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
an impact driver that you strike with a hammer will remove that stock bolt . I have one and have used it several times for this.
just don't use a 5 lb hammer . they will work with a 3/8 extension from a socket set.

plab

Gotta love them 303's
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Checked 4317XX and has a "5" stamped on the front of the receiver where the EG stamp would normally be. No date stamp on butt plate nor a "5" on the barrel.

God is pursuing you America ---turn around!

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 72 invisible), 3,372 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,633
Posts18,533,253
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.