B
bsteve Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Originally Posted by bsteve
O.K. thanks. I'll probably go with one from Numrich, might as well stick with original piece.

Numrich doesn't have originals. They will send a substitute of some style. They are bad about that. Same with rear sights and elevators.

I have originals but they are not cheap.
What's your price ?

GB1

B
bsteve Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Does it have the proper rear sight?
I think so, I believe it's a semi buck horn. If I knew how to post pics I would.

Last edited by bsteve; 02/15/11.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Welcome bsteve...the 300 is a great shooter & deer rifle. Folks around here are phenominal on the 99's. As LBK welcomed me some months when I first joined after buying my first Savage 99 & introduced myself, "it's real addictive". I've gained more usable info here than any book could ever give. BTW I now own "6" and enjoy hunting with everyone of them!

Ron
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
O.K. thanks. I'll probably go with one from Numrich, might as well stick with original piece.

Numrich doesn't have originals. They will send a substitute of some style. They are bad about that. Same with rear sights and elevators.

I have originals but they are not cheap.
What's your price ?

I sent you a Private Message. Look for a flashing red envelope at the top of the page.

B
bsteve Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I have the front sight coming in the Mail. The previous owner found it and sent it to me.

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Glad he found it. It was worth the effort!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Chicopee Falls goes with your date range (though post the SN and we'll narrow the year down more), but goes against the straight stock. All Chicopee Falls rifles would be a pistol grip stock. Schnabel forearm would be a 99EG. Now we just need to figure out what's with your "straight" stock..

Here's a picture of a 99EG, but it's been d&t'd and mounted with a scope.

[Linked Image]

Calhoun.... you need some help to get rid of those pesky deer.. especially those one with the big ol horns that tear everything up?? you just call me and Ill come right quick!

"real men use Savages-and wear mustaches"
[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What I really need is help getting the big ones to come onto my land. Keep having to settle for the medium bucks. Though it's sometimes a struggle getting just the medium ones into the truck by myself.

Sigh.. Maybe if I owned more than 28 acres I'd do okay.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Interestingly, both my EG and my R shot too high with the modern ammo, even with rear ramp backed right down. The R was factory tapped and now has a scope, the EG i used the stock front sight like in Calhoun's photo and with my oxy-acetylene torch carefully brazed a bronze "shark-fin" over it, then filed to suit. Now she shoots great, and i like the look of the shiny gold front arrow-head effect way better than the stock sight! These guns are hunters, mind you.

From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information.
� Edward Abbey

B
bsteve Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I installed the front sight and tried a few shots at the range. I knew the sight would need tweaking so started at 25 yards. Using Win. 180 gr. soft points (they came with the rifle unknown vintage, yellow box) Elevation was dead nuts, windage was approx. 1 1/2" right. Moved target to 50 yards andshot 2 rounds. One was touching the 25 yard shot and the other was 2 inches low. The rear sight was all the way down. I bought a box of 150 gr. core lokts but haven't tried them yet.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,673 guests, and 1,414 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,409
Posts18,528,073
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.