Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've been looking at and shopping rifles for a few months now, and I've come close to pulling the trigger on several different models at various times. My cartridge choice during this time has flip-flopped more than a Democrat at a Tea Party rally..... laugh

As you may recall, I have to pay attention to recoil as I've had multiple shoulder reconstructions and cervical spine (neck) reconstruction. I had narrowed my choices down to the .25-06, .270 and 7mm-08 because the rifles I liked (all Winchesters) were available in those chamberings.

I have always thought the .260 Remington was going to be the perfect all-around cartrdige for me, but there just aren't any rifles I like currently being chambered for it, so it had kind of slipped from my radar.

Then, lo & behold, a sweet little .260 shows up in the calssifieds on the 'Fire ... and I'm now a certified .260 Loony!

The build is a blued BDL with a 24" SS Sporter contour screwed on. It has a drilled handle and fluted bolt, and the whole ball of wax has been Cerakoted in matte black.

I don't have it in my hands yet, as it's being converted to ADL, getting dropped into a Mountain Rifle McSwirly and being topped with a Minox ZA-5 2-10x40. She weighs 6 lbs. 12 oz with bases & rings (not bad for a BDL with a 24" Sporter).

With this fine .260 in the safe, I can't imagine I'd ever need a .25-06, .270, 7mm-08 or even a .243, for that matter.

I'm very excited I found a great rifle chambered in a great cartridge for my needs. And the fact she shoots 120gr TSXs into ridiculously tiny little groups is just icing on the cake!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by seattlesetters; 02/18/11.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Very nice!
I'm a 260 Rem man myself, but in an XP 100. Thinking I need a left hand version of yours....

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It will indeed make you a very nice hunting rifle! I myself thought about one but I already had committed to a 6.5/06 in a model 70 Winchester. Good Luck with your new found hunting tool.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I do like it better in the mcbomber better than the laminate

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by seattlesetters
With this fine .260 in the safe, I can't imagine I'd ever need a .25-06, .270, 7mm-08 or even a .243, for that matter.

I've often said almost the same thing, though a little differently.

I have a 7mm-08 that I just love, so will probably never have a 260, though if the 260 had happened along first, I'd probably be saying the same thing in reverse. I think I could've been equally happy with either.

Always thought it was a great little round, and it sounds like yours will be a sweet set-up. Enjoy!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've never seen a 7-08 shoot 100 grain Accubonds on one end at 3180 FPS, and 140 NPTs on the other end ot 2750... At least not with the SDs that are common in the 6.5's.

I dig that Mickey, tell me all about it.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh.... If it makes you feel better, I don't have my newest 260 in my hands yet.

Stripped SPS action, blueprinted, cut rifle 1:8.5" twist, Lawrence Rifle Barrel #3 shop contour, in a hogged out and painted 700 Ti 1st gen takeoff that Carl used to own, with a Hollands lug. Should be 7.5 Lbs all up and will do duty as my prone match rifle, and Eastern Montucky gun.

I can't wait to introduce it here on the 'Fire, but my gunsmith is still holding it hostage frown

I'm Irish...

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DanAdair
I dig that Mickey, tell me all about it.

It's the famous (or infamous shocked ) Coyote Bomber pattern, which is 50% dark grey, 25 percent black and 25% medium tan.

It is the Rem M700 Mountain Rifle pattern, standard 13.5 inch length of pull, ADL style, and wears a 1" Decelerator on the back end.

More on the rifle: Action trued and Cerakoted by Darrell Holland. Wears Holland one piece scope bases lapped and trued to the barrel. Bolt is Ti fluted and Cerakoted by Karl Feldkamp at Kampfeld Customs. Bolt handle was drilled by McWhorter Rifles. It sports a Remington stainless X-Mark (old style) trigger set to 3 lbs, no creep or let off - very crisp.

Only 44 rounds through the action and barrel, which shoots 120gr TSX into under 1/4". Best groups have been .121 and .133".

Last edited by seattlesetters; 02/18/11.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Awesome, thanks for sharing and enjoy.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't have shoulder/neck problems like seatlestters, I'm just recoil sensitive.

I was looking to rebarrel to either: 243win, 257roberts, 260 rem, or 7mm-08. I want something I could use for deer hunting as well as something predators and varmints.

The 7mm-08 would have been a better big game round if I ever moved up from deer hunting but I felt it didn't offer the versatility for the predator and varmint I potentially wanted to try. So I ruled it out, even though it's a great round.

That left the 243win, 257roberts, and 260rem.

I was also looking at getting started into reloading which swung my choice to the 243win.

The limited availability and selection of brass for the 257roberts and 260rem was what swung my vote to the 243win.

I don't think the brass availability or selection for the 257roberts will be remedy antyime soon.

Hopefully we will see what happens with the brass components for the 260rem as it looks like a sweet round!

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by seattlesetters
I've been looking at and shopping rifles for a few months now, and I've come close to pulling the trigger on several different models at various times. My cartridge choice during this time has flip-flopped more than a Democrat at a Tea Party rally..... laugh

As you may recall, I have to pay attention to recoil as I've had multiple shoulder reconstructions and cervical spine (neck) reconstruction. I had narrowed my choices down to the .25-06, .270 and 7mm-08 because the rifles I liked (all Winchesters) were available in those chamberings.

I have always thought the .260 Remington was going to be the perfect all-around cartrdige for me, but there just aren't any rifles I like currently being chambered for it, so it had kind of slipped from my radar.

Then, lo & behold, a sweet little .260 shows up in the calssifieds on the 'Fire ... and I'm now a certified .260 Loony!

The build is a blued BDL with a 24" SS Sporter contour screwed on. It has a drilled handle and fluted bolt, and the whole ball of wax has been Cerakoted in matte black.

I don't have it in my hands yet, as it's being converted to ADL, getting dropped into a Mountain Rifle McSwirly and being topped with a Minox ZA-5 2-10x40. She weighs 6 lbs. 12 oz with bases & rings (not bad for a BDL with a 24" Sporter).

I'm very excited I found a great rifle chambered in a great cartridge for my needs. And the fact she shoots 120gr TSXs into ridiculously tiny little groups is just icing on the cake!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Absolutely lovely!

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by leomort
I don't have shoulder/neck problems like seatlestters, I'm just recoil sensitive.

I was looking to rebarrel to either: 243win, 257roberts, 260 rem, or 7mm-08. I want something I could use for deer hunting as well as something predators and varmints.

The 7mm-08 would have been a better big game round if I ever moved up from deer hunting but I felt it didn't offer the versatility for the predator and varmint I potentially wanted to try. So I ruled it out, even though it's a great round.

That left the 243win, 257roberts, and 260rem.

I was also looking at getting started into reloading which swung my choice to the 243win.

The limited availability and selection of brass for the 257roberts and 260rem was what swung my vote to the 243win.

I don't think the brass availability or selection for the 257roberts will be remedy antyime soon.

Hopefully we will see what happens with the brass components for the 260rem as it looks like a sweet round!

The 260 remington is available in Factory ammuntion from several suppliers - Remington, Federal, Nosler, and Corbin. Brass is now available from Remington, Nosler, Norma and (soon) Lapua. Not to mention that it is a quick pass through a full length die with any .243 brass on the planet. You owe it to yourself to try the waters......

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Count me as a fan of the 260 Rem.

[Linked Image]
Kimber Montana, 260 Rem.
Sako 75 Varmint, 260 Rem.

I've settled on the 130 gr accubonds as my bullet of choice
[Linked Image]

works on hogs
[Linked Image]

and Varmints
[Linked Image]

What's not to like

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very nice rifle. Welcome to the family! I've got two myself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The one in the works right now is #4 for me, and I've smoked a stack of barrels in the caliber...

So when I tell the dude from PA that a 260 does everything that the 243 does 14% better, and you can go up to 140 grain big game bullets that will whack the hell out of Mule Deer and it can kill Elk if you can shoot and know your big gama anatomy.

I'm Irish...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by geedubya
Count me as a fan of the 260 Rem.
I've settled on the 130 gr accubonds as my bullet of choice
[Linked Image]
What's not to like

GWB

Nice rifle, but you missed... wink

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's my .260. It's actually a ".260-06AI". wink

[Linked Image]

Interarms Mark X action, Krieger barrel, Boyd stock, Timney trigger. Works great on clay pigeons at 600 yards, even with fire-form loads.Daughter #3 thinks it is the cat's pajamas. I think it would turn up missing if I didn't keep an eye on her...

A .260 Short, I hope, is somewhere in my future, perhaps in a compact.

Congrats on your new toy. It looks great.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 02/19/11.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
CH,
You must be kin to big stick if you can hit clay targets at 600 yds. without irons or optics. Need to git me one of those. Just point in the general direction and it does the rest. Only on the internet.
Best
GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 02/19/11.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Im fuggin rollin here laugh

I'm Irish...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by geedubya
CH,
You must be kin to big stick if you can hit clay targets at 600 yds. without irons or optics. Need to git me one of those. Just point in the general direction and it does the rest. Only on the internet.
Best
GWB

I guess every rifle you own came with a scope attached???

That picture was taken right after I got the rifle back from Krieger, just before elk season in 2009. Put the bipod on for the pic. It now sports a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14xAO with Ballistic Plex reticle.

Clays at 600 aren't easy but with a good rifle and a cooperating wind, they aren't that hard, either. Just before the 2010 elk season I checked out the two rifles I as taking, a .300WM and .30-06, taking a total of 5 shots at 600-yard pigeons. Got one hit with each. Daughter #3 had never shot at 600 yards as far as I know or recall but last time we were at the range (Christmas give or take a couple days) she fell in love with that rifle. She missed the 600-yard pigeons on all 5 of the shots she took, but three were just under and two were just above - all easily in what looked to be an 8" group. Had I zeroed one of the cross-hatches in the scope at 600, instead of making her interpolate between them, I think she would have gotten hits.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

649 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 78 invisible), 2,078 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,891
Posts18,479,187
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.