Print Thread
Hop To
B
bender Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Watched some C-Span this morning, and the question of the day, "do you support a government shutdown" missed the mark. By concentrating on the threat of a shutdown, rather than the REASON for it, they set up a "bad cop" scenario for the right. It has always seemed to me that though they make a show of impartiality, C-Span leans to the left. In any case, the government has finally spent so much more money than we actually have, that nobody is going to be untouched, if real budget cuts occur. As much as I would like to say just cut everything, accross the board, the fact is, I get a government issued retirement check in the form of retired military pay, and would be reluctant to see it stop. I could see a bit of a cut though ,and not be hurt too bad. The strategy of paying out entitlements to people who do not pay into the system is at the point of being unsustainable. Truth is, it was NEVER sustainable, and should have seen some adjustment/correction long ago. We're is so deep now, that we will all need to tighten the belt some, but tighten we must. All this talk of taxing the rich more is ridiculous class warfare. Why is it fair to tax the wealthy at a higher rate than anybody else? Whether they are successful, innovative, self - made men, or just some lucky SOB, doesn't matter at all. Everybody should have an equal stake in financing their government. This "free" government money crap has to end. If you get a welfare check, you should have to repay the government in some way. A certain amount of work for a check seems to have worked since paychecks were invented. Though some people really do need help from time to time, generations living off of entitlements is proof enough that it does not fix anything, long term. Shared burden would go a long way toward ensuring careful stewardship of our money. The people in charge have failed miserably. To fix it, will take time and sacrifice. I doubt that those in power have the courage to accomplish it.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The nanny state has fostered a generation of folks that don't understand the reality of spending more than you have.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
saddest part of this whole deal, and the one aspect NOT mentioned at all, is that the concept of 'shared sacrifice' would be moot, if the [bleep] in Congress had ANY sense of responsibility at all.

We are in this shape because folks on both sides of the make political decisions based on vote buying, and do not even attempt to govern based on what is best for Americas current situation, let alone the future.

Sam......

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

464 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 160user, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10ring1, 54 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,075
Posts18,501,538
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.