Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Lawdwaz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Gentleman....A friend of mine is interested in getting into reloading for CF rifle hunting loads. If buying a kit, which would you choose and why?

Best bang for the buck?

HR IC

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Lee because it's cheap but does a good job. Then if your friend finds he really likes reloading, he can upgrade some of the components as funds permit. If reloading just isn't his cup of tea, he's not out a lot of money. In addition to the basic kit, I'd suggest first purchases of a tumbler and a Chrony.

Aim for the exit hole.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Lawrence (I'm assuming). I think the "best bang for the buck" is the RCBS rockchucker supreme kit. Like stillbeeman said, your friend will still need to get a few other essentials. I'd also add: powder trickler, good electronic calipers, different load manuals, good case trimmer, tumbler, and a set of scale check weights. An electronic scale isn't nesessary.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 for Lee Anniversary Kit

Add electronic scale, calipers and dies. Good to go.

Murphy was a grunt.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My recommendation is the RCBS kit and be sure the press is an "O" style. Pay your money once and get good stuff. On calipers, I prefer a good set of electronic but they're more expensive. There's no possible interpolation error, they're faster to use and they can be set to different "zeroing" for such things as seating depth. No need for a beginner to get an electronic powder scale IMHO. I have one and ended up using it only to weigh my cast bullets for my .45-70 BP target rifle. Too much "swinging back and forth", IMHO.
One other item I'd be sure to get is an RCBS hand priming tool. Lots faster and nearly fool proof.
Just what I'd get.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I would recommend the Lee Anniversary Challenger Kit. It has all you need except for the dies. Get those from Lee too. If there is something in it you don't like after using it for a while, then selectively upgrade it. Will be a lot cheaper than buying the overpriced RCBS kit. Stay away from electronic scale, unless you want to drop a bundle to get good ones. The Lee will certainly work well to get started. If you don't like the plastic, then upgrade to a Redding Model 2 balance beam.

Last edited by Ron_AKA; 02/20/11.
L
Lawdwaz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Thanks guys. I'll pass this thread on to him and let him decide.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 for RCBS Awesome customer service!!!! Get the best kit he can afford... Use the Lee trimmers...

Save Some Elk, Shoot A Wolf...........
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
lee is ok to start with but if you like loading and want to do a really good job save the hassle and just stsrt with most of the stuff you will keep for years get the RCBS you will be $ ahead in the long run

Last edited by ldholton; 02/21/11.
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by wyohunter99
+1 for RCBS Awesome customer service!!!! Get the best kit he can afford... Use the Lee trimmers...

+2

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

IC B3

D
dcd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
im the friend. thanks for info. will monitor threads.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I worked with a few new reloaders that started with the RCBS Rockchucker kit. All have had good success with it including me when I started with the same basic stuff 37 years ago. RCBS is solid equipment backed by excellent customer service.

You can spend more or less but as in most things the best price/performance is somewhere in the middle of the price range.

I'm not a big fan of Lee equipment. Lee has some excellent design ideas but sometimes it's not manufactured well enough to hold up to hard use. RCBS and others make stuff you can expect to last for decades.........................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
L
Lawdwaz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by DMB

+2

20 years ago I started with a RCBS Rockchucker kit. Only thing is, I know nothing about the "awesome" customer service from RCBS because I haven't wrecked anything yet!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wouldn't buy a kit, as I don't believe any single manufacturer makes the best of each item. For a press, Forster co-ax, powder thrower Redding BR, scale Ohaus, hand primer rcbs, dies Redding, caliper Mitutoyo.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Which way to go depends more on what you KNOW if you really like reloading AND what cartriges you will be doing, color of the paint is NOT the issue. Unfortunately, well meaning guys frequently point new guys to what they use and like for their own needs and that may be vastly different from what the new guy will actually need or be able to justify.

IF he's going to be loading for handguns and/or small rifle cartridges, like .308 or smaller, buying a massive case iron press is meaningless, the Lee stuff will do all he will need for the next 10-20 years. AND, if he really gets into reloading and wants something bigger/stronger/faster he will have enough personal experience to make his own choices intelligently - and even then he won't toss his first press in the trash, he will always have needs for it later. ??

Kits aren't perfect, no kit has everything needed but noobs will do well to get a basic Lee kit and add what he needs to it.

Forget the 'quick die change' bushing things, it really isn't terribly difficult to screw dies in and out even for a mechanical klutz nor does it take a lot of time; well under a minute to do a full die excange by hand and no die needs be wrenched in place.

Last edited by boomtube; 02/22/11.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I would have to throw in the Hornady lock and load kit as well. Though the cats meow in presses is the forster co-ax as stated above. Price point is your only limitation. If you don't mind splurging, get the forster co-ax. If on a budget then the rcbs or hornady kits would be my second choice. And if budget is really tight go with the Lee kit. Just my 2 cents.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
my first kit was lee . it went in about a year for the rcbs i would say buy the best you can afford .

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by fredIII
my first kit was lee . it went in about a year for the rcbs i would say buy the best you can afford .

Good point. Buy something you are going to use for 20+ years. I've had my RCBS rockchucker supreme kit for 15 and it is still working like new. I did, however, have to tear apart the press the other day and clean the gunk out of it because it was getting harder to operate when it was cold. Works like new again grin now. RCBS has awesome customer service: The other day I was kicking around the idea of finally replacing my cutter on my case trimmer and decided to contact their CS. I was just asking how much they would sell me one and they said, "give us your address and we'll send one out right away free of charge"!!! I have had one problem with a 300 win mag sizer die that wasn't sizing the neck down far enough. I had thought it was just the short neck problem you hear about often and wrote it off as that. I contacted CS on that and they said it didn't sound right and to send them the die set and they would inspect them and replace free of charge if it was bad. They sent me a new die with a sized case to show that it works perfectly now. My old die was only sizing the inside of the neck down to .307" and it was barely holding the bullet. After recieving the new sizer die, I checked the resized cases and they were .304" and held the bullets like a vise. Nothing but good to say about RCBS products and their CS.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Lawrence (I'm assuming). I think the "best bang for the buck" is the RCBS rockchucker supreme kit. Like stillbeeman said, your friend will still need to get a few other essentials. I'd also add: powder trickler, good electronic calipers, different load manuals, good case trimmer, tumbler, and a set of scale check weights. An electronic scale isn't nesessary.

Couldn't agree more...

My friend just go the lee kit and I wasn't impressed with the plastic parts but ymmv.

Brett
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
Originally Posted by DMB

+2

20 years ago I started with a RCBS Rockchucker kit. Only thing is, I know nothing about the "awesome" customer service from RCBS because I haven't wrecked anything yet!

I think I've had my Rockchucker 24 years. Get a Rockchucker first, then get a Dillon 550.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 66 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,471
Posts18,529,309
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.