-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
I recently sold a 99EG in .300 Savage (637,xxx) and the customer seemed happy with his purchase. Last week I received a phone call saying there is a problem. He told me that the magazine wouldn�t feed shells. He had taken it to a gunsmith (who supposedly did a lot of work on Savages) and he said it was worn out. I didn�t remember having any problems with it, but I don�t think I fired it in 15 years.( I know, I SHOULD have checked it out BEFORE I sold it. I won�t make that mistake again any time soon!) The gunsmith also said there weren�t any parts available. (He doesn�t have a computer.) I said I would look into it and see if I could find any parts. Well I found that if dig around a bit parts are available. I call him back and tell him I found parts and would buy them and send them to his gunsmith and pay him to install them, but I wanted to talk to the gunsmith to make sure I got everything it needed the first time. I call the gunsmith and he lists a few parts and then asks me �Who are you going to get to work on this?� I said �You.� He said �I won�t work on it again. Putting in new parts won�t fix it. It�s worn out.� That pretty much ended the conversation.

I guess my main question is �Is this possible?� I am in no way a Savage expert, but I have never heard of such a thing. Looking at the schematic every part that moves or is moved in is replaceable. That leaves the receiver. I find it difficult to believe cartridge brass can wear out a hardened steel receiver. Is there something I�m missing, or am I getting my chain yanked?

If it is �worn out� and not repairable I will send his money back, but I would rather buy the parts and pay a reasonable fee to have them installed. What do you think?

BK

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
my view... gunsmith is an idiot... probably just needs to have the spindle tightened slightly... click on the the thread above that says "misc good info" and look in there until you find a post about tightening the spindle spring... only go one step at a time and check between each step.

I doubt you need any parts at all.

my $.02

Andrew
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
here, I cut and pasted it for you

Posted by Longbeardking:

Rotor (carrier spindel) spring adjustment. If you have problems with the magazine not accepting enough rounds (or not feeding all of the rounds) you might have a rotor that is wound too tight (or not enough).

"If you look just above the cartdidge counter window, you'll see a small screw. If you remove the forend and look at the end of the receiver you'll see a ring that is slotted. You'll need a flat bladed screwdriver with a slot cut through it so it fits well into the slots on the ring. Now being careful. loosen that screw above the window. It only has about 6 or 8 threads on it IIRC and then it's a straight shank beyond that. DO NOT FULLY REMOVE THIS SCREW YET!!! While you are loosining that screw, you want to have the slotted screwdriver in place holding the rotor from turning. On the rotor, there are a series of slots around the diameter for that screw above the window to engage. If you rotate the rotor ever so slightly you can feel the slot on that screw. Holding the rotor in place, gently remove the screw. Once that screw is fully removed you should feel resistance on the slotted screwdriver. This is where you have to be careful. 2 people really help, although I did it alone. Rotate the rotor only slightly (clockwise if too tight and counter-clockwise if too loose)and place the screw you removed back into the hole you took it out of. You'll feel it contact the rotor. Carefully rotate the rotor until the screw engages the next slot in the rotor. Replace the screw once it's in a slot and thread it in. You want to go no more than one slots adjustment and I think you should be OK. I hope I haven't confused you any more than you already might be."

Andrew
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lovemy99
my view... gunsmith is an idiot...

To funny, thats the same thought I had, go figure?

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
You couldn't wear one of these out if you used it every day. I've seen some pretty old beatup pieces and they still functioned perfectly. Especially one as new as yours.

Yes the so-called gunsmith is a moron!

What is your obligation to the 'customer'?? If he took it to be diddled with before he contacted you I would tell him to go pound sand.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mad_dog
Originally Posted by lovemy99
my view... gunsmith is an idiot...

To funny, thats the same thought I had, go figure?

X2. Yall should get a load of gunsmiths down here, make ya pull your hair out.

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
don't start... there is not a decent rifle smith in all of St. Louis that I have found... I consider myself supremely lucky to have one of the best nationally known double gun smiths in my backyard but he has no interest in working on a 99...

Andrew
B
OP Offline
B
I suppose I could have mentioned I am in MN and the gun is now in TN.grin I won't be inspecting it without sending out a check. Thanks lovemy99, but I had already copied that in a Word file! I went through 6 months of posts before I even registered, clicking on anything that looked pertinent (or interesting!)Funny thing, I didn't see any posts about "worn out" 99 magazines!!

I shipped it on 1/14 and it was delivered on 1/18, so he had it for about a month before I heard about any problems. Anybody live in NE TN want to pop over and take a look?whistle

I just don't know what to do here. The guy clearly doesn't want the gun. I'm not really in a position to afford to send the money back. I CAN, but if I didn't NEED the money I wouldn't have sold the gun in the first place!!

Take a look at a "worn out" 99

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by bravokilo; 02/22/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
gun smith is not......
buyer is yanking your chain

Last edited by norm99; 02/22/11.

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I don't see where you mentioned how you sold it. If you went through an internet auction then you only need to abide by the terms of site.. Most generally, a 3 day inspection period is allowed and shooting or disassembling the piece voids the return.

After a month I would take the stance that he owns it - end of story.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Tell him the 3 day inspection period is over. it was worked on without your approval so it is his problem now.

I have delt with a few Idiots and nothing you can do will shut them up less giving them their money back which I would not do in this case. tell him nicely to kiss your azz. eek

B
OP Offline
B
Thank you to all who took the time to respond! I think I will leave this one in TN.........

BK

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,406
Posts18,488,965
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.