Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Fellas I need some of yor knowledge. Hell who am I kidding, I need all you got! Anyway I'm wanting an AR style rifle and honestly have no clue. Was looking at the Ruger AR, but there are many on the market.

What are things I need to know and what things are favorable? I'm not wanting a picatanny rail to put a bunch of crap on. Just want a quality AR for around 1500 bucks. More than likely it would be a 223, but open to other calibers.

Perserverance is a virtue,,,unless your an idiot
HR IC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd be in flat top,round freefloat,20" fixed mode. Mainly due to noise reduction.

223 or bust and CM would be my least favorite bore....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What he said, and you can get somebody to screw one together for you out of top-shelf parts for that kind of money. I like single stage triggers.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hate two's myself. Full length gas is a good start.

1500 clams will scope it nicely...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have an Armalite 16 inch carbine with a National Match lower, topped with a Nikon 3-9. It's not real fancy and can be had for less than $1000. I really like the National Match trigger and would consider the same trigger again. It's in 5.56.

It's my understanding Armalite used the Wylde chamber, which is tighter than a straight 5.56 chamber but not as tight as a .223 chamber. None the less, it's been a good shooter right out of the box. Here is where I do business. kwg

http://762sass.com/catalog.php

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
You can build one for about $750...Not hard to do. Built my first one with zero AR experience, and nothing but a book. Have built quite a few since then...

Just decide its intended use, and go from there. I am a big fan of freefloat tube handguards though regardless.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Is the AR going to be for precision shooting at 400 yrds, or bump-fire mag-dumps? Different barrel lenghts and setups would be desired for each. Longer barrels are less handy, but get better velocity.

I think a 18" (WOA for example) barrel is the best compromise of length issues.

$1500 will buy you a VERY nice AR. You could get 2 good ones for that. Some people will tell you a Colt 6920 if you want M4 style can't be beat. Upper level brands like Noveske and others will be available around that price range too. ar15.com is your friend. Start reading.

Good luck.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
thanks for the replies fellas. i will need to inspect further. my plan is more or less a beat around gun. bang a few coyotes and such, no precision long range stuff as of now.

Perserverance is a virtue,,,unless your an idiot
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like mid-length gas systems myself.........An 18" mid-length, bull barrel, in .223 covers lots of bases including a nice compromise between velocity and handling.

Take all of the above advice, make sure it is twisted at least 1-8".... Put the lower together yourself from a parts kit (EASY) to save money. Include a quality single stage trigger in that kit and purchase an upper based on the advice received here.................Hard to hate "fast food" once you have learned to read the menu!!

X-VERMINATOR

Last edited by xverminator; 02/22/11.

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I like that Noveske rogue hunter with 18 inch SS barrel. I have to agree that the 16 inch tubes are just too close to your face/ears with the 223 unless I guess "tactical" is the idea and that is definitely not me . My next purchase is the Noveske, wish it was a 20 inch barrel, but their barrels are pretty good none the less. I think the upper is $995, just buy a lower and put a trigger in it somewhere else.

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
As a first AR I might suggest a standard Colt or Bushmaster (or Rockriver, or etc.....) HBAR with 20-inch barrel and carry handle. It will set you back a lot less than $1,500. With the money you save you can add a 2 stage match trigger and a scope. Also, you can use it to shoot High Power matches. It will likely shoot better than you can. After you play with it for awhile you can always add a carbine with collapsable stock, heavy barrel varmint rifle, Bushmaster DCM match rifle, and on and on.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16penny, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 55 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,050
Posts18,501,017
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.