-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 630 of 1,842 1 2 628 629 630 631 632 1841 1842
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Permanant. They called one of my refrances already.

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Maybe it was this one I had a good vibe about, not the other place.

Can you still get a deal on liccorice? grin

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
grin I think I can. I don't know if it would be as good of a deal. It sounds like they have a store for the employee's. It won't be as fresh as right off the line. I will check it out. I didn't get my mom and dad's yet, thought I would be there through this week. I was bummed I didn't get to try the root beer. frown

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Wrung out but I got a nice 8 ft bed load of firewood cut to length. Mix of jackpine, birch and tamarack.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Finished loading just after dark.

Dammit, sweeped the tailgate with the last tamatack I dropped and bent the F-ing tailgate mad

But I got it closed and I think I can straighten it.

Wolf tracks all the way in and fresh wolf tracks in my tracks on the way out.

Makes it hard to concentrate when you are rigging a chain to a tree in the dark to hi-lift jack winch the back end of your truck back onto the trail...

But I made it home, decent slug of wood.

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
fricken wolves man, they really need to do something to keep them in check

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
SSS

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I can understand the trepidation of having "something" out there dogging,so to speak,your footprints and shadowing you unseen.But I thought there were no recorded unprovoked attacks on humans by wolves.We do not have wolves here in South Carolina but we do have coyotes and they can be "around" but unseen and kind of make you a bit apprehensive but I have heard of no problems with them as far as causing any danger to humans.
I remember many many many occasions as a youngster camping in the woods with no type of firearm protection.I wouldn't do that in this day and time.
Sorry "bout the tailgate,Dave.Just add that that to your to do list.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Wolves have been laying tracks on top of tracks in Northeastern MN since forever, never gave me a speck of trouble. Not even when I was a tasty morsel of a subteenager. Not anyone else either. A whole bunch of folks have been torn up pretty good by labs and golden retrievers in that time though wink

You will be okay if you can keep from busting up your machinery.

I've got all of next year's firewood cut and stacked. But need to work out at least another year ahead. Seems it never ends.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BrentD
Wolves have been laying tracks on top of tracks in Northeastern MN since forever, never gave me a speck of trouble. Not even when I was a tasty morsel of a subteenager. Not anyone else either. A whole bunch of folks have been torn up pretty good by labs and golden retrievers in that time though wink

You will be okay if you can keep from busting up your machinery.

I've got all of next year's firewood cut and stacked. But need to work out at least another year ahead. Seems it never ends.

and the times they are a changin'

More wolves attacking pets, livestock

Wolf attacks on domestic livestock and pets hit record levels in Minnesota and Wisconsin in 2010, most likely because there are more wolves living in both states.
"In Minnesota, trappers with the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Wildlife Services killed 192 problem wolves last year, down slightly from the 196 killed last year. The state Department of Agriculture paid about $96,000 last year to people who lost livestock to wolves. No compensation is paid for lost pets."

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Muffy
I still can't believe it has been 2 years since you did that.

Woot Woo, I got a job interview at Tuffy's tomorrow morning. They are affiliated with Kenny's, so I hope that will help. smile

With a name like Tuffy's they must make jaw breakers. laugh Good luck Muffy.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Hey sorry I mentioned the "W word" guys.

I dont love em, don't hate em, they just are.

There is a fair number of them concentrating on the area around our camp and I think it's because the deer are yarded up in the cedars.

To not have an elevated awareness of their presence would be careless and foolish in my opinion.

Stats mean nothing to me, especially the whole wolf/human relationship record. It means nothing to me because over the years I have observed reports of wolf attacks on humans (not a lot, but some) but for some reason the tally resets to the default setting of "zero" after a bit of time has passed. �There has never been a reported case of a wolf attack on a human�
Yeah, whatever.
To me that is as silly a statement as �Wolves prefer humans to any other meat on the planet.�

Skewing facts either direction to compliment a group or an individual�s radical anti or radical pro beliefs irritates me.

I truly stand in the middle on the wolf topics. (I despise the topic in itself for what it brings out in people on both sides pro and anti)

To think any wild animal could not and would not attack a human is just silly.

As if they have a program in their brain that says "everything is food except for the humans"

LOL!!

They are a wild animal striving to survive day to day.

And a very capable animal at that.

I wouldn't shoot them on sight out of fear, and I wouldn't try to pet one either.

Common sense lays somewhere in the middle.

I don't take my eyes off an unfamiliar domestic dog around my kids either.

That�s about all there is to my state of mind when I know I am likely being observed by wolves as I work out in the woods. It�s simply an awareness, I try not to lend myself a convenient victim no matter where I am and no matter what I am doing, that�s all. Not in a walmart parking lot and not out in the forest cutting firewood.

Damn it got cold again. -10 this morning.

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree with you there Dave, it sure is cold this morning!

and the wolf issue is a touchy subject, so I'll leave it where it is although opening a hunting season isn't gonna make em extinct.
I've never seen one in the wild, they sure aint dumb.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Stupid weather, cold fronts roll in for every weekend goofing up the fishing.

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Hey sorry I mentioned the "W word" guys.

I dont love em, don't hate em, they just are.

There is a fair number of them concentrating on the area around our camp and I think it's because the deer are yarded up in the cedars.

To not have an elevated awareness of their presence would be careless and foolish in my opinion.

Stats mean nothing to me, especially the whole wolf/human relationship record. It means nothing to me because over the years I have observed reports of wolf attacks on humans (not a lot, but some) but for some reason the tally resets to the default setting of "zero" after a bit of time has passed. �There has never been a reported case of a wolf attack on a human�
Yeah, whatever.
To me that is as silly a statement as �Wolves prefer humans to any other meat on the planet.�

Skewing facts either direction to compliment a group or an individual�s radical anti or radical pro beliefs irritates me.

I truly stand in the middle on the wolf topics. (I despise the topic in itself for what it brings out in people on both sides pro and anti)

To think any wild animal could not and would not attack a human is just silly.

As if they have a program in their brain that says "everything is food except for the humans"

LOL!!

They are a wild animal striving to survive day to day.

And a very capable animal at that.

I wouldn't shoot them on sight out of fear, and I wouldn't try to pet one either.

Common sense lays somewhere in the middle.

I don't take my eyes off an unfamiliar domestic dog around my kids either.

That�s about all there is to my state of mind when I know I am likely being observed by wolves as I work out in the woods. It�s simply an awareness, I try not to lend myself a convenient victim no matter where I am and no matter what I am doing, that�s all. Not in a walmart parking lot and not out in the forest cutting firewood.

Damn it got cold again. -10 this morning.

Well said

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
last fishing report I heard down here was folks were pullin their houses off the lakes a month ago because the fishing sucked frown

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
last fishing report I heard down here was folks were pullin their houses off the lakes a month ago because the fishing sucked frown

Compared to LOW, all the fishing pretty much sucks around these parts year around. frown

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
even on silver lake? I lived on that lake til I was 7 smile

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
even on silver lake? I lived on that lake til I was 7 smile

I actually had really good luck on silver two years in a row from opener in mid may until about mid june. Trolling a red weedless hook with a leach, in 8 feet of water would get you your limit of walleyes in a couple of hours. Nothing huge but good eaters. And you couldn't catch 'em in 7 feet and you couldn't catch 'em in 9 feet. It had to be 8 for some goofy reason. confused

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bill
Originally Posted by Muffy
I still can't believe it has been 2 years since you did that.

Woot Woo, I got a job interview at Tuffy's tomorrow morning. They are affiliated with Kenny's, so I hope that will help. smile

With a name like Tuffy's they must make jaw breakers. laugh Good luck Muffy.

laugh They make dog food.

I think the interview went well. She is going to call me Tuesday. Tuffy's does not have an opening, but Kenny's and Barrel O Fun do for third shift. It is a toss up of what one I would prefer. I will take what I can get.

So Tom if I get into Kenny's, endless supply of licorice. laugh

Page 630 of 1,842 1 2 628 629 630 631 632 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 19 invisible), 1,621 guests, and 890 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,290
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.