Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#4981963 02/25/11
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Given similar impact speeds using the same bullet, ie Nosler Partitions or whatever, 160s in 284 and 180s in 308, does the larger caliber bullet kill better? It would seem that it would, but I wonder, if in the field, is there any practical difference? thanks, capt david

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by captdavid
Given similar impact speeds using the same bullet, ie Nosler Partitions or whatever, 160s in 284 and 180s in 308, does the larger caliber bullet kill better? It would seem that it would, but I wonder, if in the field, is there any practical difference? thanks, capt david

Given your criteria, but depending on critter, not much practical diff.

Having said that, greater mass still counts for something.

I mean, if I was going to kill a brown bear, I'd prefer the 30 cal 180 over the 7mm 160 given equal velocity for both.

An elk?--not so much........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I don't know that you can ever truly know-shoot two hundred elk and maybe you can close in on a legitimate opinion but you can never get rid of all the variables..

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Can't see that there would be any practical difference between the 284 and 308 when using proper bullets at similar velocities.

I load 140 grain Partitions in my 284s, because of the COAL limits of the short bolt and lever actions, and would feel well armed to shoot an elk.

JEff

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I think it would take several lifetimes of killing with each to be definitive about it... and then I'd bet the answer would be a definitive, "no difference."

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are we talking at 300 and or 301 yds...grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ok sorry couldn't resist...no in all seriousness and I totally believe this. I am a fan of two holes and I do feel that it'd be tough to keep a 284 slug in the elk and from time to time one would find the 30's. No bigga casa grande really but to me it's important (sort of, plus I luv the 7's and borderline loathe the 30's.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used a .308 all season this year. 180 grain as you mention. In every instance a .284 with 160s would have done the job just as well as the .308.

Differences are so negligible, I wouldn't worry about it. Pick whatever you like the most. If they took my .308 from me, I would think long and hard about a .284 to replace it.

Hell, that sounds like a good addition. Gunbroker, here I come.

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey Fin, what 30?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Ok sorry couldn't resist...no in all seriousness and I totally believe this. I am a fan of two holes and I do feel that it'd be tough to keep a 284 slug in the elk and from time to time one would find the 30's. No bigga casa grande really but to me it's important (sort of, plus I luv the 7's and borderline loathe the 30's.

Dober

I actually think you may be right about 30's staying inside.

Then again, I've seen the reverse too... one was a 160 7mm Speer Hotcore that was on the offside of a spike elk on a broadside double lung shot at 200 yards from a 7RM... go figure. But the bullet looked like a Speer ad!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've killed elk with both (although I used 150gr Partitions in the .284) and never saw much of a difference b'twixt the two.

Saw my dad kill a few more with his .308...still no difference.

Given that, I still have to say that in my estimation, the .284 is the bee's knees. Just somthin' about that cartridge....goes faster than it should, shoots straighter than it should....kills like lightning. And for some reason, the felt recoil was less than it should be, too. when I was running a .284, I had an identical rifle in 7mm-08 that felt the same (no lie!) and the .308 was noticeably stiffer.

With today's bullets (say, a 150gr TSX), the .284 is about as good an all-around cartridge that you can find that is still pleasant enough to shoot.

Last edited by seattlesetters; 02/25/11.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

This is hard to answer,and I don't profess to be the last word on tis or anything;just my point of view cause we are in a grey area.....I can only tell what I have seen.I think bullet action has a lot to do with it....

From the standpoint of tissue destruction(mostly fired from 7mm and 300 mags cause that is what I have seen the most),I've traced bullet paths through elk killed with both,seen the destruction,and would say (guess)that the 30 destroys more tissue,or seems to....

..after a long stint with 270's and 7mm's on large buck deer, I whacked a big bodied Saskatchewan buck 350 yards across a field with a 165 Partition from a 300 Win Mag started at 3250 fps.....I was a bit surprised to see the damage and size of exit wounds. I have seen the same thing on other animals and bullets fired from 300 mags.

But does the 300 "kill" quicker or "better"? I suppose it should....but I have not been able to detect it from the standpoint of how far the animals travel,given similar hits and comparable bullet action, and considering that no two shots are precisely the same.......

I think this is because,all things being equal,the 7mm destroys "enough" vital tissue,penetrates well enough,and creates enough damage, that the animal simply cannot handle the trauma......and I think also this is because ballistics is "Physics",or science,and in contrast to what happens to cause an animal to die from a bullet is something else,hard to quantify in certain terms.

I'd say the animals is in tough straits regardless which of the two he is hit with.....

These are my thoughts and observations on the matter....all contrary viewpoints welcome.. smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 02/25/11.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I believe NH is looking for a new Governor... throwing your hat in the ring?

I'm thinking your middle name is "Equivocation."

grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just kidding of course!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bob 4 Govenah...grin

I like that

Dober

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Bob 4 Govenah...grin

I like that

Dober

Mark, you even got the accent down. laugh

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Heehee....... grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Brad/Dober:Have you guys seen bigger holes from 300's than 7mm's? Is it my imagination? Thinking back I have seen some pretty ghastly holes from 300 mags.....funny thing I also recall the animals moving off, too....

I have not seen much difference in how quickly they died though...... confused

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Gee, nobody ever called me "equivocable"..........I wonder why?...........

And I'm such a nice guy, too........

wink
Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have not killed as much stuff as some of the guys in this thread but from my expierence the .308 bullet wins.

Take that for what its worth because I am a fan of 30 caliber and have hunted with one for more than anything else.

I think you would find the occasional .284 bullet instead of the occasional .308 bullet.

Dink

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 1337Fungi, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 52 invisible), 2,211 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,767
Posts18,476,729
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.