Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Ah he's a 7X guy, probably take him a few days to catch it..grin

Dober

Next time you need pike flies, better inspect them carefully ..

Just sayin'..... whistle

Just saying, next time you need to break in my fly rod on pike be careful...grin

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ingwe
Tough crowd...

You can blame Dober... laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Gee...a guy trains a couple dogs...

[Linked Image]

And ties a few flies...

[Linked Image]

And he gets a reputation....

Go figure...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cool thread. Bob for govenah- I'm there! grin

I wouldn't expect much diff between a .284 and .308 caliber bullet at equal velocity yadda yadda. Pretty similar.

I would expect a discernable diff between a .284 cal and .338 cal; some say there is, others say there isn't, I'll never kill enough elk to know for certain.

.323 cal works pretty damn good though. smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Randy-how do you like the CDS?

Dober

I'm curious to hear as well...

Wasn't sure what to expect when they first sent them, but now they fall into the "How did I live without this category."

We killed a lot of critters on the show last year, and all were with rifles topped with Leupold VX3 CDS.

Once you set your zero, and you have your loads and turrets properly matched, it is idiot proof. Idiot proof is necessary for a guy like me.

They sent me four of them. One each for my .300 Win, .308, .270Win, .270 WSM.

I have a lot of guest hunters shooting these rifles, so when I range it, it is really nice to be able to dial it up and tell the hunter to hold dead on.

My uncle, who is notoriously an excitable guy with questionable marksmanship was sure he could shoot an AZ elk at 450 yards. I hesitated, but dialed it up and handed him the rifle. Boom. Time to notch the tag.

If you ever want to see or shoot one, let me know. Glad to meet you out at the range and you can play "hit the gong" with them.

I mounted all four rifles in one day. Once zeroed, I started marching them out to the gongs at MWA range. All four rifles hit the 450 gong 5 for 5 by dialing and holding dead on.

That is not shooting that I am known for, so I cleaned them up, put them in the truck and called it good. A tribute to the rifles and the CDS system, not the shooter.

This MT bull was 295 yards. 180gr Trophy Bonded Tips - Federal Factory ammo. Complete pass through with big wounds on the off side shoulder. Same results with everything I shot this year with that load.

Wish some one could tell me why that load/round kills so much better than it seems it should. But, until the results change, I am going to keep using it.

[Linked Image]

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Since this is a .284 v .308 thread, I should mention that I finally got to see the new Kimber 84M Montana in a .280AI.

Given how well my 84M .308 has performed, I told them they should let me do some promo of that rifle. It sure felt sweet, and what is there to not like about that cartridge? Can there be a better all-around cartridge in the lower 48? Probably, but that would be one I would pick. Send me anywhere in the lower 48 with that one, and I am comfortable.

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Which VX3?

You ever use dots?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Which VX3?

You ever use dots?

VX 3 - 3.5-10X40mm

Never have used dots.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Exit hole made via 7RM 150gr BT. I don't know if I've seen a larger hole made by a .308" slug...
[Linked Image]

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jordan that's nasty....as I think back the biggest holes were made with stuff like Power Points,Speers, and Corelokts,ie standard stuff that held together.....not Partitions.

Like I said....can't see much difference...

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Exit hole made via 7RM 150gr BT. I don't know if I've seen a larger hole made by a .308" slug...
[Linked Image]

Jordan,

I used a 7mm 150 NBT from a 7mm-08 on a buck 6-8 years ago. As luck would have it, I shot him in the neck and the wound was remarkably similar to that one in your picture, albeit rounder and with more meat missing. MV in the mid-2600's tops, range 35-40 yards.

You can make a hellacious hole with a 7mm bullet.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Randy...thanks for the run-down on the CDS...been toying with that idea..thats good info...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That particular shot was at about 230 yards, and I watched my client put a bullet through the base of the neck, and the bull crumpled. The hide is kind of shifted over the hole in that pic, but there is a lot of meat missing, too!

That was a nice cape, too. We had to get the taxi to supply a spare for that mount!

Like Bob said- 7mm or .308"....it doesn't make as much difference as the bullet you choose wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've used the 150 NBT a ton out of my Mashburn, it can be a bit less than subtle when rearranging meat etc.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sure gets the job done, though wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When my 7wsm arrives, the three bullets I'm focusin on are the 162 amax, 160 Accubond, and 150 Noz BT. That 150 is cheap & easy locally and if it'll shoot I'll be shooting bunches of them.

Man I got raped on shipping on the 162's! THOUGHT they was cheap... not so much, by the time the get here.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BigFin
Hey Fin, what 30?

Scenar shooter got me hooked on this .308 idea, but I did not take it quite to the level he has with his setup. Mine is rather pedestrian.

I have a Kimber 84M Montana. It carries a Leupold VX 3 CDS. The setup is far more capable than I am. Two elk bit the dirt with it this year, as did some deer.

[Linked Image]

Randy, I spent the fall with my 308 MT and took two elk, one antelope and one mule deer at ranges from 185 to 400 yards.

Seemed to work. laugh

What bullet in yours?

What bullet(s) in yours, Brad??

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Sure gets the job done, though wink

And dats why I keep using them, they hit a deer/lope at long range sort of like a 9 iron hits a field mouse off the T box..grin

Dober

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by John_G

What bullet(s) in yours, Brad??

John, 165 AB... was planning on using the 168 NBT but couldn't find any locally or nationally after I'd shot up my supply.

My rifle really dotes on the 168 Ballistic Tip. The Accubond, not so much, but it did work well...

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,509 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,822
Posts18,516,744
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.