Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
How do you guy's determine what you keep and what you don't? In another thread folks were saying they don't like to freeze fish. I freeze fish all the while in a vacumn sealer and they stay good for quite some time.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
you can give a man a fish and feed him for a day...
You teach a man to fish,feed him for life...

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I keep enough for a meal. If I freeze its to easy to get lost in the freezer. So only fresh now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A couple of times a year I'll keep enough for dinner the same night. Anything that's deep hooked and doesn't look like it'll live also goes on the table. We don't have a big freezer or vacuum sealer.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I really don't like to freeze feesh,though many come in sizes you cain't eat before it slips.

I bet my bonk/release ratio is better than 100:1................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I fish for mainly sport,catch and release most always where we go,as we don't have the fine water round here like many of you have in your backyards..[Stick] grin If I want to eat fish one of my favorites is grilled cod with drawn butter wink

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd much rather knock stuff in the head,because it's a whole lot faster/easier,than being nice to schit and very much hurts production.

Because I like my feesh fresh,I bonk in accordance to dinner time.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I bonk in accordance to dinner time.............

I'm not much of a fish eater, but thats pretty well what happens when its time...

Dinner....

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Happiness is snaking fillets offa still writhing Sockeye and tossing same on a grill over an open campfire...with but a leetle salt/pepper and butter.

Eating like a Pig,betwixt casts..................(grin)

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Pretty much the same here, with littler feeshes...

those little dudes either get released into a pan of hot butter and a bit of season salt, or wrapped in foil with S&P onions and butter and tossed on the grill/fire..

Ingwewife likes Brookies...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Then there was this one time at Fish Camp when a pard and I bonked a few Sockeyes and destined them for the grill...

[Linked Image]

See...you aren't the only one who can get the sun to shine in AK... grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You fished with Capt. Sobel? grin

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm not the best fisherman but love fresh fish whether panfish, 'eyes (which I'm best at) bass, northerns too. I'll keep my limit if I get there with the exception of big brood fish northerns and bass which I'll release.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
my preference for eating is walleye and sauger mainly cause the wife beotches if i keep snot rockets though ive cooked it a few times where she couldnt tell the difference, all else is usually turned loose......with 'eyes what i keep depends on what i catch, if the fishing is good we always toss back the big females and keep those between about a pound and a half an 5 pounds, if i havent caught chit all day ill throw a 9 pounder on the grill grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Trout come home, as long as they're legal, in abundance. Freezer stays full of em.

Cats come home. They're filleted and froze.

Walleye and pike are kept when I'm lucky enough to catch em. Knife, then straight to the pan or grill.

Small and largemouth go back in.

If I get a craving for bluegill or crappie I'll go catch a load and cook em up, but rarely ever have them stored.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
As a guy around hers says . . .

There is catch and release and there is catch and grease.

I personally believe is up to the person doing the fishing to determine as long as the requirements of the law is met. Where I fish I don't catch enough of the fish I eat to bother so I throw everything back.

NOW, if I were to stumble in to a bunch or bluegills or such. or catfish then things would be different.

Last edited by LouisB; 02/27/11.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I look at the life cycle of the fish.....if it's Pacific Salmon, that mature and die in 4-5 years, I put a few in the freezer.....if it's lake trout that grow at 1/2" per year, I only keep a small one for shore lunch and never take any home and all that old brood stock is returned to the lake.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Typically, I always let trout go.....although it depends on the stream, trip, where I am and if I have dinner plans. Every Laker caught goes in the freezer for fish tacos....and we can catch those by the truckload.

Reds get filleted on the half-shell and grilled. Steelies and Bass all go back

Ingwe, you need a stick to put those brookies on!

[Linked Image]

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We always throw all our lakers back, how do you make the tacos?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
I crappie fish all spring eat all winter

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (338reddog, AdamT204, 10gaugemag, 6MMWASP, 673, 7 invisible), 1,694 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,759
Posts18,514,953
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.