Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
My Son is trying and not doing so well at it. I did it cold turkey after a Doctor's diagnosis that scared me to death.

Any suggestions ?

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I didn't want to quit, just cut back. So I cut back from two packs a day to two and a half packs. Then with a real effort to cut back using all the tricks I cut back to three.

At four and a half packs a day I got good and mad and quit. That was thirty 32 years ago last September. I had to come to the point where I realized the cigarettes were getting stronger than me. That got my Scott temper up and I have not has a cigarette since. Gave away my engraved Zippo and eight packs of cigarettes that day. I believe we have the inner strength to beat bad habits but lack the desire. Once you make up your mind and mean it then we can quit.

After several years of not smoking I went back to a cigar a month and an occasional pipe. It helps I like cigars that are beyond my finances. wink

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
BTW, Did Heather call? She is out of town this weekend and I cannot ask her.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn
My Son is trying and not doing so well at it. I did it cold turkey after a Doctor's diagnosis that scared me to death.

Any suggestions ?

I had smoked about a pack a day for 25 years and kinda thought maybe I should quit but when my two daughters began to beg me to, I quit. Just quit buying anymore and that was it. Really wasn't all that hard to do.

I tried to get a very good friend to do same but he wouldn't and died of lung cancer.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
I know lots of people are having great success with the new electronic cigarettes. Basically a water vapour with nicotine,so it`s like smoking without all the most harmful crap in it. They are not really meant as a stop smoking aid, but they do seem to have that effect on a lot of people. Supposed to be a lot cheaper than cigarettes too.
I think that nicotine is often the lesser part of the addiction, which is why regular nicotine replacements don`t seem to have a very high success rate. The electronic smokes are basically jsut like smoking a regular cigarette without most of the health risks. Might be worth a shot.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If anyone comes up with the real answer, let me know. Quit for 2 years using some drugs from the doc that turned me into a green eyed monster but couldn't stay away from them Russ

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Scott F
BTW, Did Heather call? She is out of town this weekend and I cannot ask her.

Not yet, though maybe today, I was away most of the day, looking to buy a RV so went the show in Birmingham. Will check my calls after, and will let you know.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

As a general rule, and there are exceptions, the ones that I see do best are the ones that quit cold turkey and toughed it out.

If Mom can do it, so can he.

- Tom

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Zyban.

Totally flipped that little nicotine switch in my head from "on" to "off".

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I quit cold turkey and used certs as a placebo. For years I was always sucking on certs.. I have always believed that if want to do something bad enough you will find a way. I had friends who tried every aide in the book for years..It wasn't until they really made a comittment to themselves that they quit. I know.. It isn't that easy.

IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I never started..

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I smoked cigarettes for 50 years. Then one day, Nov 15, 2005, I just quit. Quite easy once you make up your mind. It's all in your head.

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm going to tell you something Miss Lynn. Hypnosis works.

I know of three guys who went to the same Dr, and none of them ever smoked again, or ever fell off the wagon. My neighbor was in such disbelief he actually went out and bought another pack just to light one up. He took one drag, didn't want another and threw the pack away. He says people at work smoke in front of him, and it doesn't bother him. I think it was 2K, but it was guaranteed for life. If they ever get to feeling weak again, they come in for a free session. So far all three have been over two years, none of them have smoked and they say they don't have the urge to smoke. They did get the weight gain attributed to most who give up ciggys, and I'm not sure I understand why. If they have no urge, why do they eat more?

2K is worth the investment, and like I said, it was a money back guarantee.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I quit because my wife was going to start smoking again because I smoked when we started dating so I quit.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Tossed the cig I was smoking, crumpled the pack and never smoked again. That was in fall of 1987...

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Start hunting big mountains. When your heart feels like it's going to explode when you're hiking, cigs just aren't worth it anymore. At least that's what changed my mind.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
CHANTIX,worked like a wonder drug for me.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Quitting smoking was the toughest change I've ever made. I've quit smoking (1985), drinking (hard liquor 2007 & beer 2009), lost the 50 lbs I gained after I quit smoking (2004), and a few other things along the way. For me it is only about the switch inside my head. With smoking, I decided when my then 3 year old daughter came home from preschool and asked if smoking really caused cancer and said she didn't want me to get cancer.

I wish your son luck.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
started dippin.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I quit cold turkey Oct 15, 1985.

I was the poster child for R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co.

Two+ packs of Kool 100's per day, I smoked a pipe and inhaled, smoked cigars and inhaled, and chewed Red Man. All in the same day, every day. If you saw me, I had tobacco on board.

I threw a half pack of cigarettes, my pipe & tobacco, and a new box of cigars away that morning.

My (then) boss had quit about four years earlier and he told me to get a case of Sugar-Free Wintergreen Certs and a box of toothpicks.

I went through a ton of those Certs and still have toothpicks around.

There is something about the sugar-free Wintergreeen Certs that really calmed the craving and the toothpicks gave my hands something to do

I think that tobacco might be as hard to quit as heroin since they both affect the same brain chemistry.

Prayers sent.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (12344mag, 16penny, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,820
Posts18,477,798
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.