Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm just curious how other chapters are doing. I worked with our local group for about 10 yrs and have backed off and simply attended for about the last six. Our event used to pack in about 300+ and there was about a 3-year wait for those who had not attended previoulsy to gain entry.

The last 4 years have seen a gradual decline, and last night there were about 120 folks present with a potential to just walk in at the last minute. Several early supporters abandoned our chapter when the fine banquet rifle went from an auction item to a raffle chance. They were folks that were competitive bidders, and if they truly wanted the rifle, they would pay the price.

Is our local situation just a sign of depressed times or a trend across the board? The organization has done some fine work, and I'd like to see them survive.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/27/11.

1Minute
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The South East Missouri Banquet fell apart three years ago and as of now is totaly MIA

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A victim of their own success?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by 1minute
I'm just curious how other chapters are doing. The organization has done some fine work, and I'd like to see them survive.

For a few years prior to wolf dumping in the Rockies, RMEF promoted bringing the wolves in. Said wolves would make the elk herds stronger. RMEF was in a postition to actually stop the wolf dumping, but instead promoted it and continued to promote wolf dumping till about 2008. I realize that RMEF is now speaking out about how harmful wolves are to their elk, but they have to at this late date, or there wont be any elk left to hunt. If RMEF could have gotten it soooo wrong in the early 1990's why would I want them to have any of my support now?

Further, RMEF simply raises money to buy private land and then gives it to various government agencies. I pay enough taxes to the govt. already, so I don't need to donate more through RMEF. Frankly, I don't want the government getting thier hands on more private land..........

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I heard APF was gonna buy them out.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Was a member of RMEF many years ago until they screwed the pooch and supported intro of wolves. Looks like they have seen the light and am thinking of rejoining. I want to see the organization aggressively address the wolf situation before they see another dime of my money though.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Alot of DSMFer's thought wolves were a good idea.
Problem never was the wolves so much as it is the DSMFer's in DC and suburbia.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i was a member for many years, but dropped my support after they took the pro-wolf stance. i won't be rejoining any time soon.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by hotsoup
i was a member for many years, but dropped my support after they took the pro-wolf stance. i won't be rejoining any time soon.

Same here.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I heard APF was gonna buy them out.

Who is APF?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 1minute

Is our local situation just a sign of depressed times or a trend across the board? The organization has done some fine work, and I'd like to see them survive.

All the conservation groups have taken a hit. RMEF is still primarily based in in western USA and Canada. The west seems to always suffer the most from economic downturns, plus corporate donations are down significantly for most non-profit groups. Throw in less matching money from states and the feds.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
American Prairie Foundation - suspect that was tongue in cheek.

RMEF lost many members when they removed their association with hunters on their magazine Bugle (the ones that brought them to the dance). David Allen is a breath of fresh air for the organization and if he sticks around, they might get many of us back.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
When did the state or federal government match funds with any non-profit conservation organization? They come to the non-profits for funding.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Toolelk
American Prairie Foundation - suspect that was tongue in cheek.

10-4.....grin

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

You're killin' me........

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Damn, Sam...I was hoping by the time I came up to visit/hunt that you would have not only "haystack deer" but some "haystack buffalo" as well....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I am a life member of the RMEF and live in western PA. I have been active as a committee person for may years. Yes, our banquet numbers have been in decline for several years, but so has our local economy.

Also, the RMEF did not do themselves any favors in PA when they pulled their support from The Elk Visitors Center near Benezette, PA. Several chapters folded and a spin-off group formed called the PA Elk Alliance. Many former RMEF members went with them.

Our local RMEF banquet is next Saturday and we expect between 150 and 200 attendees. That is down from 300 to 350 from the '07 or '08 years.

We have no intentions of giving up at this point.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Toolelk
When did the state or federal government match funds with any non-profit conservation organization? They come to the non-profits for funding.

Not exclusively.

One of the reasons the RMEF was formed was to take advantage of federal matching money under a program Reagan created. Antoher is Pittman-Robertson money the feds also receive for habitat acquistion and improvement. Some states also have matching money available.

One of my complaints of RMEF is from day one they would advertise their involvment in a conservation effort, but neglect to mention their financial role was less than feds/state/other non-profits who were also involved.

Often the RMEF acted as a facilitator with a relatively minor financial role, while others ponied up the money. But organizing the effort was something RMEF did very well.

For example the elk migration corridor on the Yellowstone River from the Park to BLM/NF was a effort that nobody else could get done until the RMEF stepped in. That was funded primarily by the Park Service.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Their buff got out recently. Had 'em back in within' 48 hours though...via helicopter!

They want buff all through the Breaks. Cool idea just like Yellowstone except for one small problem. Where they gonna Winter?

Cross the lake and hit Miles City?

grin

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Their buff got out recently. Had 'em back in within' 48 hours though...via helicopter!

They want buff all through the Breaks. Cool idea just like Yellowstone except for one small problem. Where they gonna Winter?

Cross the lake and hit Miles City?

grin

That's what subdivisions are for......... grin

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (160user, 21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 70 invisible), 2,598 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,949
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.