-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
My bro inlaw first bout this junk. He fired it out of his Mossberg 930. It broke the pin in the action and wouldnt eject. It split the shell 1/4" and nearly closed the empty back up. I bought some and tossed it out my Browning Gold 3.5. The recoil was massive. It blew the gas seal out. The wad was ripped to shreds. The shell split half way down and again was nearly closed shut. The shell also looked as if you had tried to bend it in half at the brass. The ejector tore a small piece out of the shell rim and the rim was swollen like mad. Im not sure what they were thinking when they designed this stuff but it seems to be way too hot for my gun and his. Unfortunately, my bro inlaw didnt check his gun over enough after shooting this stuff. He made a long trip the last weekend and had to sit it out due to a broken gun...I told him to buy a Browning..he didnt reply..

If the world didnt suck we would all fall off!
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
So I tried it too... flat hammers birds, and way on out there too...
Never had any case issues, wad issues, or other issues. Never had a jam or failure to fire.

Wish it wasn't quite so expensive or I'd get a couple more cases for next year.

Mind you it wasn't fired in anything fancy... 870s and 11-87s

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
My Browning Citori ate it fine, of course, we all knew it would. Not much to bust on a nice O/U.

I didn't strech my shooting any further than normal, but no cripples either, and that's a good thing. It worked everywhere we tried it, but i'm still sticking with Black Clouds, good price/value balance.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
A hunting buddy bought some cuz more is better. It never broke anything but when he fired the stuff at first legal light it looked like a broadside from the battleship Missouri crazy

O

Too old to suffer fools
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
That's about the best explaination i've ever heard! Big Boom!

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
My buddy ran it in his Nova this season with no problems. Kicks like a mule though. I could not tell that his hit percentages were any better.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I thought in my 870s, that if it only kicked like a mule it wouldn't be bad... I thought it more a mule and jackass combined..

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I used a couple boxes in my Maxxus last year. I had no problems with it and it seemed to hammer ducks. I was happy with it and will buy more next year. I did notice when I was missing birds it was because my lead was too large. Started just putting the muzzle on the bird and swinging through and got back to nailing them. I started out 18 for 23 this season but went down after that.

NoCAL

I used them in my 870. No problems but they do KICK!

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
And the reason you guys like to get beat up by your shotguns would be...?

I've been shooting "mild" loads of 1 1/8oz. #2 Nice Shot at 1250fps loaded into AA hulls with regular old target wads for the last 2 seasons now and the pickup truck-load of geese I killed were flat out hammered out of the air, more than a few at long range. No bruised shoulders here, no broken guns, no muss, no fuss. Just saying...

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We've had this argument a number of times on other sites. Some won't spend the jack for hevi type shot.

And some don't get out often enough.

Some hunt public where you often don't have the luxury of getting em to lock up, only a passing glance..

Everyone runs different. For me, if I"ve spent 200 bucks of fuel to get there, 200 on lodging, and who knows how much in the airboat... well if they are a bit further out, I"m still gonna kill my birds...

Of course my percentages on shooting say that I can't afford the hevi shot stuff. Just me anyway.

I do intend to buy and try some though eventually. Once I find my MECs back and get em running.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
1-1/8 is plenty to kill ducks and geese. The heavier you go the more fliers you will find in your pattern in my experiance. Then again I have had no problems killing Mallards, Woodies, and Teal with my .20ga.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
gnoahhh - What powder and charge weight were you using in that load?

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Longshot 28 grains, AA hulls, WAA12 wads, W-209 primers. Had some 'splainin' to do with a game warden who was checking us out once, but he went away satisfied.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (204guy, 12344mag, 257wthbylover, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 19rabbit52, 59 invisible), 2,248 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,505
Posts18,509,229
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.