Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
The wolf did me in too I let my member ship end. But now they are thinking they made a mistake and I intend to resign up this year.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sam - You ever seen that TV show called American Serengetti? I'm assuming this is the APF, sounds like the have 120,000 acres in the breaks and are looking for more so that they can, in their words, "make it just like it was when Louis and Clark went through." Tom Selleck narrated the show - sounds good until you think about the concept for a minute or two.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
SamOlson: You postings are almost always best described as deranged and ambiguous, at the same time - so I am NOT sure if you are trying to be funny or just acting stupid i.e.: "Where are the Buffalo gonna winter in Miles City"?
Well to begin with the Breaks of the Missouri River were the ancestoral home of the Buffalo and they do not need to migrate anywhere to "winter" from the Breaks area!
That area is about 5,000' lower than Yellowstone and certainly at least 2,000' lower than where the Yellowstone Buffalo sometimes migrate to in the winter, from Yellowstone.
No... the Breaks Buffalo do NOT need to find "wintering grounds" they are low enough already.
In fact this past late November we were camped in the Breaks country Hunting Elk and we woke up to a howling snow storm.
As we exited the camp in the pre-morning darkness we found that we were surrounded by at least 50 mature Buffalo!
That mornings Hunt found us a bit fidgety as we worried about the Buffalo "rubbing" down our camp!
Luckily when we returned to camp the Buffalo had moved on without damaging our gear.
Over the last several years I have been IMPRESSED with one main thing regarding the "owners" of those Buffalo in the Breaks - they have UNLIMITED money supplies!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Good morning Varmintgay...

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep..

And VaginaGuy thinks some ELSE besides himself is deranged??

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Nate, I haven't seen that show. As everyone knows(excluding the city people who have never been out there and are donating for the cause), the (lower)Breaks haven't changed much since Lewis and Clark. Execpt for one small part, Fort Peck Lake.

Varmintguy, looks like you had one too many Whine Coolers last night.

Deranged.....TFF!

Last edited by SamOlson; 02/28/11.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sammo this kinda reminds me about Ted Turner and all the buffalo on the flying D. He wondered aloud why they were tearing the place up....they didn't do that in the old days....

No..in the old days they migrated to eastern MT every year....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Awww, look honey, they're so fuzzy and peaceful! Go pet one for a picture!"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whine cooler.. that made me laugh.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Ingwe, the only thing I know about buff is that it takes one helluva a fence to keep from having one helluva a mess. Neat idea on paper but just not very realistic especially given a tough Winter.

Rancho, I heard they like hand fed carrots....grin

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Whine cooler.. that made me laugh.

I liked that one too..might hafta plagiarize... whistle

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
What do you call a bunch of farmers in a basement?

A whine cellar.....ork ork

Back to the original hijack.

Here is an interesting map. Study it for a minute VG.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Is there gonna be a pop quiz...?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Just guessing, but I think buffalo from the breaks will winter in Miles City.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Maybe a deranged one!

Later.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Arent they all? grin

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by ehunter
The wolf did me in too I let my member ship end. But now they are thinking they made a mistake and I intend to resign up this year.

If RMEF made that big of a mistake on the wolves at one time, what else might they accidentally happen to see the way the government wants them to, the next time????? It was not lost on me that RMEF is tied to various govt. agencies in a huge way and it just happened that all those govt. agencies wanted wolves dumped here at that time, (early 1990's) so RMEF marched along in lock step on the wolf issue, just like they were supposed to........NOT ONE DOLLAR will they EVER see from me again as RMEF is simply a govt schill organization.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not so sure about that. The SCI convention set a record for attendance & money raised. Our local SCI chapter banquet is this weekend & I expect about 300 to attend. I run the outdoor show & with 25 exhibitors have the largest hunting show in the DC area. I was a member of RMEF for 20+ years & dropped out over the wolf issue. RMEF is ran by the board & chapters have little input in real decisions. SCI is ran by the chapters & therefore the members control the organization. One of our past executive directors was playing the good old boy game & was forced out. Next thing you know he was running RMEF. Same deal. He & his bow hunting cronies hunted all the prime land acquired. He was quietly removed by the board & has moved on to other pursuits. RMEF has had more than their share of mismanagement. Hope they have it right because they have done a lot of good for elk hunting despite some mis-steps.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by sundles
Originally Posted by 1minute
I'm just curious how other chapters are doing. The organization has done some fine work, and I'd like to see them survive.

For a few years prior to wolf dumping in the Rockies, RMEF promoted bringing the wolves in. Said wolves would make the elk herds stronger. RMEF was in a postition to actually stop the wolf dumping, but instead promoted it and continued to promote wolf dumping till about 2008. I realize that RMEF is now speaking out about how harmful wolves are to their elk, but they have to at this late date, or there wont be any elk left to hunt. If RMEF could have gotten it soooo wrong in the early 1990's why would I want them to have any of my support now?

Further, RMEF simply raises money to buy private land and then gives it to various government agencies. I pay enough taxes to the govt. already, so I don't need to donate more through RMEF. Frankly, I don't want the government getting thier hands on more private land..........

I almost joined, once. Glad I didn't. Sounds like it sux to be them.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I can see why the RMEF was complacent to allowing woofs in, remember the original agreement was 300. Had that been held to be true, it may have been a good thing for overall herd strength.

However, we know the rest of the story and the RMEF I think takes too much of the blame.

Like any other political organization, I won't agree with everything they do. But, I agree with most things they do and they are trying to right the past. I'll continue to be a donor, they aren't perfect, but are fighting a tough fight, where there are many that a bitching, but aren't doing.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 2,585 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,931
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.