Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Fill us in on the details of the hunt. Birch lake is a beautiful place. Good fishing too. Did you get to portage into any of the old mines?

Randy

A moose hunt was the last major item on my hunting "bucket list".

I had been applying for years for moose tags in Wyoming, New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine with no success. The odds of getting a nonresident tag in those places are no better than 1 in 80, and since I am in my early 60's I realized that I might not be capable of doing a hunt at age 104 when I might finally get a tag.

So I decided to go shoot a moose. Medicman (Randy) gave me a couple of leads in Ontario where the outfitters get guaranteed bull tags each fall, and I booked with Kay-Air Outfitters out of Ear Falls, Ontario. I could drive to their base and could bring all the gear I wanted and bring back all of the meat without dealing with airline restrictions and expenses.

Peter Kay flew me in his Twin Beech floatplane to Birch Lake, where he has a very comfortable lodge with solar lights and hot showers:

[Linked Image]

I selected a fully guided, all-inclusive hunt and met Roy, the Ojibwe guide, at camp. We got along famously, and as we are both Western movie buffs, began quoting lines from "The Outlaw Josie Wales" to each other almost immediately. ("Buzzards got to eat, same as worms".)

A side benefit of this particular trip was the fishing...we often had a line in the water while we were watching the shoreline for moose:

[Linked Image]

Birch Lake is a beautiful area that reminded me of Alaska, but without the mountains:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We explored the vast lake, with its innumerable bays and peninsulas, the local river system and portaged to a couple of remote lakes as well. We did visit one active gold mine site.

The hunting methods were calling, spot-and-stalk, and placing me at the neck of a peninsula while Roy walked toward me from the point, attempting to drive the moose past me.

I shot my moose on the 4th day of the 7 day hunt:

[Linked Image]

I wound up seeing a total of 8 mooses (meeses?) on the trip. The weather was going to deteriorate beginning the second day after I shot my moose, so I chose to come out early, but I would love to return someday.

I was able to bring all of the meat, including the heart and liver, home with me, something that is virtually impossible in many moose hunting locations.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 02/05/11.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Bob.

I have logged a lot of hours in that twin Beechcraft. Pete is one of the safest pilots I have flown with. There is no sound like the sound of those twin radials. Man those cabins have held up.

I built the one on the right in 1998 I think it was. The fishing is pretty amazing. I caught a seventeen pound northern pike that got hit by a big one that cut it open so the guts came out. That was a big one that I wish I could have caught.

Eight moose is a great experience in itself.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I was just checking the site and saw your post. I hunted West of Williams Lake, British Columbia in Sept./Oct. 2010, with Chilanko Forks Outfitters, www.huntchilankoforksoutfitters.com . A lot closer than Alberta. I did a 10 day hunt for deer,bear, and moose for a whole lot less than $10K. There were 3 of us and we didn't do well on deer and bear, the weather didn't cooperate during this part of the hunt, but we took 2 moose home and everyone had shooting. The deer and bear were add ons, they offer moose only hunts. The camp sits in the middle of great moose country and is accessible by a 4WD truck. Moose hunting is done on horseback. Jim Zumbo was in camp at the same time and he also killed a nice moose. My moose was 48". The camp has comfortable cabins and the food was great. The owners Allan and Denise Tew, and the guides and cook did everything possible to make the hunt enjoyable and successful. I would not hesitate booking another hunt with these folks. Hope this helps.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Rackmastr
Check out Aaron Fredlund in Northern BC for a very good moose hunt. You'll spend a bit more money in BC but usually have higher success with larger bulls.

www.huntfgs.com

I'm slow on the draw here but will echo Rackmaster's recommendation. I know Aaron and my BIL has hunted with him a little. He is a top notch guy and puts in a huge effort.

J
J
Moose Alces alces have long, slim legs that end in cloven, or divided, hooves often more than 18 cm long. The body is deep and massively muscled at the shoulders, giving the animal a humped appearance. It is slab-sided and low-rumped, with rather slender hindquarters and a stubby, well-haired tail. The head is heavy and compact, and the nose extends in a long, mournful-looking arch terminating in a long, flexible upper lip. The ears resemble a mule�s but are not quite as long. Most moose have a pendant of fur-covered skin, about 30 cm long, called a bell, hanging from the throat.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
Fill us in on the details of the hunt. Birch lake is a beautiful place. Good fishing too. Did you get to portage into any of the old mines?

Randy

A moose hunt was the last major item on my hunting "bucket list".

I had been applying for years for moose tags in Wyoming, New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine with no success. The odds of getting a nonresident tag in those places are no better than 1 in 80, and since I am in my early 60's I realized that I might not be capable of doing a hunt at age 104 when I might finally get a tag.

So I decided to go shoot a moose. Medicman (Randy) gave me a couple of leads in Ontario where the outfitters get guaranteed bull tags each fall, and I booked with Kay-Air Outfitters out of Ear Falls, Ontario. I could drive to their base and could bring all the gear I wanted and bring back all of the meat without dealing with airline restrictions and expenses.

Peter Kay flew me in his Twin Beech floatplane to Birch Lake, where he has a very comfortable lodge with solar lights and hot showers:

[Linked Image]

I selected a fully guided, all-inclusive hunt and met Roy, the Ojibwe guide, at camp. We got along famously, and as we are both Western movie buffs, began quoting lines from "The Outlaw Josie Wales" to each other almost immediately. ("Buzzards got to eat, same as worms".)

A side benefit of this particular trip was the fishing...we often had a line in the water while we were watching the shoreline for moose:

[Linked Image]

Birch Lake is a beautiful area that reminded me of Alaska, but without the mountains:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We explored the vast lake, with its innumerable bays and peninsulas, the local river system and portaged to a couple of remote lakes as well. We did visit one active gold mine site.

The hunting methods were calling, spot-and-stalk, and placing me at the neck of a peninsula while Roy walked toward me from the point, attempting to drive the moose past me.

I shot my moose on the 4th day of the 7 day hunt:

[Linked Image]

I wound up seeing a total of 8 mooses (meeses?) on the trip. The weather was going to deteriorate beginning the second day after I shot my moose, so I chose to come out early, but I would love to return someday.

I was able to bring all of the meat, including the heart and liver, home with me, something that is virtually impossible in many moose hunting locations.

Walleyes and moose. Does it get any better? Good job

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Possible looking for a third for our trip to N BC for moose in Oct this year. Pretty reasonable rates. Exact dates not ye set. Pm if interested

T
Tluns Offline OP
OP Offline
T
After a bit more research Fredlund comes highly reccomended. I booked for 2012.

M
M
Originally Posted by Tluns
I am looking for a moose hunt in Northern Alberta. I don't need a trophy. I just want a nice average bull. I have been led to believe that something in the 45" - 55" are fairly easy to find. I would like to be under $10,000 all inclusive except for travel fees to the jumping off point. Am I being reasonable? Does anyone have expirience or reccomendations?
Thanks, Tim

Tim, my neighbor is an outfitter. I just called him and he said he'd love to talk to you about a moose hunt. We are located in LaCrete about 17 or so hours north of the U.S. border. World class goose, bear, white and moose hunting. That's not a plug. This area is simply rich in game. This past season, my boys and I took 5 whitetails and my moose party took one bull. Its just a great place to hunt.

FWIW if you come to Ab to hunt moose get a bear tag as well. We've more bears than people up here ha,ha.

Shoot me an emal if you are interested and I'll put you in touch.

Rob

T
Tluns Offline OP
OP Offline
T
So my hunt with Fredlund was successful. Wasn't smart enough to post pictures, but here is a link that shows them. Thanks to all for the advice.

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,108218.0.html

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Here is a 48" bull from NW of Edmonton I shot with a .270 in 2011. First bull I saw opening morning.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by rem338win; 01/28/13.

AF
Let your work be shown to your servants, and your glorious power to their children.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Those are all some moose. I measured a rack we have, and thought was nice. That one is about 42"

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (AceBall, 7887mm08, 3dtestify, 358wsm, 280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 14 invisible), 993 guests, and 913 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,092
Posts18,522,131
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.