Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Since I live out in the boonies, I usually buy my boots via mailorder. I live in the steep wooded country of north-central PA. I need a boot with good support, waterproof and traction on snowy hillsides. My 10 year old Danners went to the dumpster today, but I still have new LLBean Kangaroo boots. Looking for something a bit more heavy duty than the LLBean boots and I found Whites Dri Foot Boots for $200 on line. Anyone here have any experience with these boots, quality wise, and know if they run true to size?

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Stoneybroke,

I don't have experience with that particular boot, but my Dad worked for the Forest Service in N. Idaho and fought wildfire for about 20 years in White's boots and swears by them. White boots are standard wear in that country. Whites will re-build your old boots. Its not cheap, but they replace just about everything.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Guys, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but...

I used to fight fire on a shot crew for the FS and wore logger smokejumpers. The high heel isn't ideal for hiking, but they were really the only thing tough enough other than some smaller specialty makers. My 15 year old whites are still one of my favorite pair of boots for general wear and they are hell for stout.

However, I just stopped by their factory this past month to get a look at the dri foots. I tried them on and walked around a bit. I also examined a pair of current production logger smoke jumpers. Bottom line? I wouldn't spend money on a pair of current production whites myself. The leather quality is embarrassing given whites heritage and price. The sales guy said they still get the best leather they can but there is no doubt the leather quality has gone downhill in the last 10 years. I wouldn't rate current whites any higher in quality than a pair of US made Danners and they cost a fair amount more.

It sucks, but there it is.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FWIW, many of the wildland firefighters I used to work with were going to higher end backpacking/mountaineering type boots. LaSportivas seemed to be the most common brand. I wonder if it doesn't have something to do with that which was posted by evan.

I think Adair still uses his for hippies and kittens... wink

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I wear work boots 365 days a year and owned them all when they were still made in the US. My whites smoke jumpers are by far the best boot I had on my feet. They split duty with a pair of whites packers. They are a very well made boot that holds up very well to the abuses I put them through. I sat down and figured out in the last 7 years I saved $1000 dollars owning whites, than I would have if I would have kept burning through redwings or danners every 6 months.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by pointer
FWIW, many of the wildland firefighters I used to work with were going to higher end backpacking/mountaineering type boots. LaSportivas seemed to be the most common brand...

The LS Glaciers in particular are very common.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I just spent the last four seasons in Lowa Sheep Hunters and for my feet they have been terrific. Obviously, not a flat terrain boot but, they are terrific in hilly country.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I started my fire career in a good pair of norwegian welt mountaineering boots that didn't really make the 8" height limit but they were what I had (and were good rough country hikers). The soles delaminated on a fire and I had to screw them back on with screws salvaged from somebody's tool box. The nails and screws that you find on the sole of a pair of White's are there for a reason.

But yeah, the heels just aren't that great for hiking in. It's hard to imagine parachute landings with those heels, but I've watched it happen.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I ware a pair of whites packers as a everyday boot. I didn't realize how much better my feet and knees could really feel until I got them.

I have had no issues with durability and believe they are worth every penny. I did notice though that the production boots (already made) seem to be a little less quality then the custom made to order boot.

I don't think I would order them off the net with out being properly fit and sending in your measurements. Plus you can get the heels lowered if you get a made to order boot.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I really like the whites Farm and Ranch boots, I also have the packer but do not like them as well. I have worn the Farm and Ranch hunting and firefighting both and the heel has not been an issue for me, I think the heel is lower than the smoke jumper on the farm and ranch.
Are the boots you guys are talking about that people are wearing firefighting NFPA compliant?

Last edited by SLM; 02/28/11.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have owned 2 pairs of White's 10" packer smoke jumpers, the first pair lasted 14 years of firefighting, with only 2 resoles. I bought a second pair 7 years ago and they are great boots unless you are on pavement or concrete all day. The boots are tough as nails I swear by them if there is a pair of boots I have to wear 12 - 16 hrs a day!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I don't see anyhting NFPA compliant concerning these boots. From the picture, these boots don't seem to have the high heel common to most Whire's boots. Really curious if the Whites usually run true to size. Here is the description:

The White's Dri-Foot Series incorporates a waterproof, yet breathable, Hill-tex liner that sheilds the foot from water while allowing perspiration to escape. White's Dri-Foot Series boots are handcrafted at our factory in Spokane, Washington and are completely rebuildable for years of service.

6oz. silicone tanned all leather upper. brown pebble
Completely rebuildable for years of extended life
10" height standard
9-iron leather insole
9-iron composition rubber midsole
8-iron leather heel counter
Goodyear leather welt consruction
Hill-tex waterproof/breathable liner - Prohibits moisture penetration from the outside but allows sweat and moisture to flow away from the body to the external environment to maintain proper body temperature.
Padded leather collar

Last edited by Stoneybroke; 02/28/11.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I was refering to the backpacking/mountaineering boots they were talking about, I can not answer you on true to fit cause I have a very narrow foot and mine were built to my measurements. (9AA)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I spent 2 1/2 long years in a pair of Whites climbing poles pretty much everyday.

Very durable and comfortable. Not quite up to Wesco quality, but damn close.

Mine ran true to size.

Not that this applies to you or the boots you're asking about, but I wouldn't recommend them to any lineman. As I later found out, other high end boot makers have a much better shank in them.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Last rebuild I had Whites do wore out WAY too quick! Mentioned it at a high end boot store and they told me Whites has started using machines for rebuilds. They suggested I send my next rebuild to Nicks Boots(and specify Nicks arch, whatever that means). I am glad I took their advice as they are holding up really good.

http://www.nicksboots.com/

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SLM
Are the boots you guys are talking about that people are wearing firefighting NFPA compliant?
I can only assume so since even the AFMO wears them and is on a national type 2 team. IIRC, the only requirements I can remember are all leather uppers, 8" height, a Vibram type sole, and leather laces. They seem to overlook the leather laces part. I used either Meindls or Kenetreks on fires and never once had anyone bat an eye when my PPE was checked (twice on seperate incidences).

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Thanks, I looked last knight and they don't come narrow enough for my foot anyways.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Stoneybroke
Since I live out in the boonies, I usually buy my boots via mailorder. I live in the steep wooded country of north-central PA. I need a boot with good support, waterproof and traction on snowy hillsides. My 10 year old Danners went to the dumpster today, but I still have new LLBean Kangaroo boots. Looking for something a bit more heavy duty than the LLBean boots and I found Whites Dri Foot Boots for $200 on line. Anyone here have any experience with these boots, quality wise, and know if they run true to size?

I haven't used the boots you mention but I do have a pair of White's Smoke Jumpers that I bot in March, 1971. YES - 1971!! I was in college, fire fighting in the summer & wanted the best boot I could find at the time for sheep hunting as well.
I sent the tracing of my feet to White's and for the 1st week I had them, I thought I'd die. My feet were killing me just from sitting in class & doing very little physical activity. On the 5th day, things miraculously turned arond and they became the most comfortable boot I've ever had. Over the years, they've been re-built twice, I think and I still have them.
I've since realized they are not the best boot for sheep hunting with many others better designed for that. The Smoke Jumper style IS NOT very good on snow & ice AND the vibram sole is vey slick on ice as well.
I can't address the style you mention but should you want to go with the White's, be certain that the 2 problems I mentioned are addressed. Unless things have changed with them, they are hell-for-stout and you will get your money's worth. I well remember an old timer here in Ak. who was originally a logger in Idaho in the 1930's. He told me that at the time, if you walked into a logging camp without wearing a pair of White's corks, they'd laugh you out of camp. No job.
That says something to me. Good luck.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i've a pair of 12" White's Hunters with the Honey Vibram sole. they are a softer, stickier sole and do much better on ice.

it took an all day hike in pouring rain to break them in.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have several pairs of whites, nicks, and hoffmans. I like hoffmans for the packs, and nicks for the welted. I had a pair rebuilt by whites a few months ago and it took them 3 tries to get it right. The good news is they used ultra thick leather on mine to make me happy. They are a good choice if you have a odd foot, but for hunting boots, meindl, ls, lowa, asolo, Kennetrec......etc, are all better choices. Besides, I *think* the non handmade boots at whites are all imported now.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

276 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,000
Posts18,481,224
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.