Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
20-Ton Mayonnaise Spill Shuts Down Part of Mo. Interstate

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- A stretch of Interstate 44 in Springfield, Mo., was closed for several hours over the weekend when a tractor-trailer crashed, spilling 20 tons of mayonnaise onto the road, the Kansas City Star reported Sunday.

Police closed the eastbound lanes of the section of Interstate while crews worked to clean up the 40,000 lbs of mayonnaise that spilled out Saturday after the driver of the tractor-trailer lost control and drove into the median.

Lt. Scott Leven of the Springfield Police Department said walking on the spilled mayonnaise was like walking on ice, but no injuries were reported.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/02/28/20-ton-mayonnaise-spill-shuts-mo-interstate/#ixzz1FFB5g299

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Would you like sweet or dills with that?

There's no mention of glass or plastic containers. Was this stuff bulk? I've never heard of that before.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Things like that do make a mess. Truck driver went to sleep (probably) and rolled his rig into the frontage road on I45 by my place last Friday. Busted open the trailer. Driver not hurt. Loaded to the gills with Cajun Chef products.

Most of it was big containers so relatively useless. What the hell are you going to do with a five gallon bucket of pickled jalapenos? Or hamburger sliced dill pickles. I like pickles but not five gallons at a time.

Did make the following scores while the clean up crew was loading dumpsters. Gallon of pickled okra. Case of hot sauce 6oz, case of pepper sauce 6oz, Gallon of cherry peppers, Two quart jars of jalapenos. Could have had a lot more but what the heck for? Couldn't use it all before it went bad.

The clean up crew and company rep would give anybody that wanted any all they wanted to haul off. But as said most of it was in industrial size containers so relatively useless for household use. What would you do with a gallon jar of red food coloring or a gallon of Gumbo File?

Wish it had been a box beef truck or something like that.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

There's no mention of glass or plastic containers. Was this stuff bulk? I've never heard of that before.

I once came upon an upset train. From a distance it looked like little green apples but drawing nearer I realized it was tennis balls. A whole fricken boxcar of them. The wife and I still laugh about it. They really splashed on impact. What a mess.

Mom used to have a little wiener dog that just loved tennis balls. They were his life. I told the wife "if there's a heaven for dogs, this is Toby's. Look around, he's gotta be here somewhere".

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Back in the day when Doctors were still promoting Lucky Strikes on TV:

A local train cut a trailer load of Luckys in half. Busted packages, cartons, and cases laying everywhere on about a half an acre.

Of course, some were not busted open. They had to call for extra help to clean up the smokes. Seems there was a smoking epidemic in the local grade school and the higher grades.

Managed to snag two cartons for my Dad, Luckys were his brand.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Once while driving when I was a teenager, my buddies and I saw a unopened huge box in the middle of the road. We stopped next to it and bailed out and threw it in the back of the truck. We stopped shortly after and opened it to find a huge box of toilet paper. [bleep], we thought we had something good!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hadn't heard about the mayo spill. I live just a ways south of there. I44 sees a bunch of traffic. Bet that messed up some truckers (and drug runners) who had scheduled delivery times!

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

I'm assuming in a bulk tanker trailer. Lots of food products are transported that way from the manufacturer for delivery to the final packager.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My little brother was a lineman for the railroad about 40 years ago. They had to go replace poles beside a train wreck. The wreck was busted boxcars of Budweiser. They got plenty, but they sadly watched bulldozers squash and bury way more than plenty.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

379 members (1Longbow, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 2,059 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,748
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.