Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Toolelk
JR,

What went on then is old history and opinions are just that. As mentioned, many of us left RMEF when they dumped the term "hunter" from their magazine and cozied up to the anti-hunting community. I don't know the rules regarding selling of one's sole but David Allen is making up for lost time.

If you want to get involved, join your local SCI chapter (not sure of your location since velocity seems to be keeping you on the move). If legislation is going to work, we are going to need 60+ senators to sign on along with Obama. Numbers do count and SCI and NRA are on the front line of this fight. The elk in Montana don't have much time so we welcome your support.

Went to the 2011 Reno SCI with my wife and spent almost $1,000.00 on admission fees and registration costs and was happy to do so.

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
You missed my point, a small controlled number of wolves would most likely be beneficial. What we have now is not.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Looks like there is a fundraiser this weekend for the Bay Area chapter of SCI, I might have to check it out.

Seems odd though with timing in that Elk Camp is going on in Reno with easy access from CA/Bay Area residents. I would think they'd get better turnout on separate weekends.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
RMF made the mistake of getting into bed with the anti's ( they always leave you with some thing crawley) when it comes to wolve re-introduction and it has cost them dearly. PETA< HUSA the rest of them have never been honest since day one. The fact they believed the 300 was a joke.

If they had not been a party to it then I would not have felt they did any thing wrong. How short a memory every one has they had some write ups in their mag and a lot of letters from readers saying no don't support it. But they did, yes they have done some good things but they screwed the pooch on this one.

Last edited by ehunter; 02/28/11.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
More like the pooch screwed them!

Thank you I'll be here all week, don't forget to tip your waitresses. wink

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by jryoung
You missed my point, a small controlled number of wolves would most likely be beneficial. What we have now is not.

I got your point (I've heard it hundreds of times) and it is naive and wrong. I'm not wanting to be insulting, just giving you the courtesy of not mincing words. Wolves woud not provide any extra healthy predation of elk that lions, humans and black/grizzly bears were not already providing. Sorry, but you are simply unwittingly believing tree/wolf hugger speak.

Last edited by sundles; 02/28/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For year the great RMWF just looked the other way while the Wolves ate up the herds of elk thinking it was going to help their position. That large flushing sound you're about ready to hear is the RMWF going down the toilet!

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been a member since their inception in '84 or '85.
I remember the original "Bugle" magazines were geared towards the hunter, with great stories and photos depicting successful hunts from across the west.
Then they got all touchy feely and tried to capture a larger audience by getting way more politically correct and pulled away from the strong pro hunting stance that formed the organization, which is acceptable if the elk benefit.
I've seen their national convention shrink in size too.
I attend local banquets and contribute as best I can, but think it ain't quite what it used to be

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sundles
Originally Posted by BigFin
I can see why the RMEF was complacent to allowing woofs in, remember the original agreement was 300. Had that been held to be true, it may have been a good thing for overall herd strength.

However, we know the rest of the story and the RMEF I think takes too much of the blame.

Like any other political organization, I won't agree with everything they do. But, I agree with most things they do and they are trying to right the past. I'll continue to be a donor, they aren't perfect, but are fighting a tough fight, where there are many that a bitching, but aren't doing.

Someone mentioned RMEF is a governement schill. Is that a statement with verifiable data, or something read on the internet? Or heard over a beer at the bar? Would ask for whatever proof exists to support that claim.

NO I did not hear that at a bar or on the internet. It was first told to me by one of RMEF's board members who resigned over RMEF's endorement and encoouragement of the wolf issue and over thier raising of funds to buy private lands and then turn said lands over to govt management. This man was one of the charter members and was directly involved in the national level fund raising and no, I wont name him on the internet or you could claim you simply read it on the internet...wont be offering you a beer either, so you can't dismiss the info as coming from an alchoholic.

The last time I personally looked into the matter was 2001 and yes I went on the internet to RMEF's own web site where they listed all the lands they had given over the govt. agencies. Between state and federal govt agencies, the ammount of land that RMEF had facilitated into govt possession was huge. Perhaps it is the freedom loving person deep within me, but sorry, I am not in line with govt agencies having more and more control over lands that were once private.....

I call bull$4it. Many MT hunters have been in the wolf deal since the beginning, and maybe you were also. If that is the case, I guess we have a different interpretation of events that transpired, who said what, and who had the control to affect outcomes.

If you are going to claim that RMEF drove the wolf agreement betweent the Feds and the states, then we have no reason to discuss further. That was the Feds and the states.

Like many in MT, including maybe you, I sat in on almost everyone of those meetings, commented on the state plans, and sat in on many meetings where the state plan was crafted. RMEF was not the driving force in the wolf reintroduction.

Not once did RMEF weigh in as supporting the re-introduction of wolves for the sake of wanting wolves at any meeting or event I attended. They stated they were going to support the state processes, if the state felt it was worth the state's time and effort. If you can find the official position in print where RMEF was asking for wolves, or find it recorded somewhere, show it here, and I will give you the nod as being correct.

Suppose that RMEF had taken the same stance then as they have now. Do you think that could have stopped the states and the Feds from striking some wolf deal? Not a chance. They are a conservation group focused on elk habitat, not the end all and be all for everything that might be proposed on the western landscapes. They have no authority or power over such events.

Who is the RMEF board member who resigned over the wolf introduction? More anectdotal internet rumors, purveyed by the "I'm not going to tell who" defense. And you wonder why people call bull$4it on your statements.

There are four founders to RMEF. Are you talking of one of them as your "Charter Member" who folded his tent and resigned because RMEF was transferring land to public agencies. I doubt it. But, since he remains a mystery man, I guess we will never know.

Whoever it was, he should have resigned if he had a problem with RMEF securing critical habitat and transferring such to public agencies. That has been one of their stated goals from the beginning. If he had a problem with that, he probably should have not been on the board to start with.

All your posts are "my friend said," "someone told me," "I heard." That is fine. Just not a very compelling case for someone making such bold statements about a group that has done more than any group out there when it comes to elk, elk habitat, and elk hunting.

Get some data, provide the links, and people might not take excpetion to what you are saying.

Sounds like you are pissed at the states for botching the deals with the Feds. In that case, maybe you should take your anger and frustrations out on the proper groups - MT/ID/WY and the USFWS.

I think you would have a lot of support for the wolf issue. Most here would support that, including me, if it were something other than an anti-RMEF, anti-public lands rant and was focused at the source of the problem.

As far as public land, if you have some bent against public land, have at it. The number one reason state for people getting out of hunting, hunting less than they have in the past, or having not gotten into hunting, is lack of accessible lands. Don't believe me, go read the National Shooting Sports Foundation study on such.

Not disagreeing with you about RMEF transferring acquired lands to state and sometimes Federal agencies. When they embark on these processes, that is the stated goal from the beginning. That is how they get mathcin funds from the Federal and State sources that are earmarked accounts for the purpose of acquiring habitat and access.

Do you really think that the LWCF moneys are going to be avaiable for the acquisition of critical habitat if we then convey that habitat to private parties? Do you think FWP is going to contribute dollars from Habitat Montana, and then let the land go to a private group?

Other option would be to let the land get subdivided, or whatever other use may occur, to the detriment of elk. I would prefer to see land exchanged between willing buyers and willing sellers, even if one of those parties is a non-profit organization who intends to turn the property over to a state agency.

So, we are losing hunters and places to hunt, and you want to bitch because some group acquires critical wildlife habitat and then conveys it to a public agency for all of us to use. Hmmmm.

You are more than welcome to the idealogic stance that public land is no good. Knock yourself out. Don't expect you are going to have too many supporters for such in an elk hunting forum. I might be wrong, but I suspect most elk hunting in the west occurs on public land.

Hopefully, most here will continue to work toward saving critical habitat, and when possible, make such parcles available to all hunters.

If you want to work against that, and spout your anecdotal stories, go ahead. Some of us feel compelled to make a statement to the contrary, especially when nothing you state is supported by any fact, or at least no facts that you have provided at this time.

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I would prefer to see land exchanged between willing buyers and willing sellers, even if one of those parties is a non-profit organization who intends to turn the property over to a state agency.

Randy, the only problem with this is it creates unfair competition.
Not really a problem though if access/land use issues are worked out fairly.

I totally agree otherwise, like you said habitat(for any wild critter) is critical.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whether It's Idaho, Wyoming or Montana, when the next wolf season opens, I'll be there.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH

RMEF was not "complacent" on the wolf issue--they were COMPLICIT and there is a huge difference between complacent and complicit. Had RMEF simply been complacent, I'd not have this issue with them, but they endorsed and encouraged the wolf dumping. Further and perhaps more important is that most of the money raised by RMEF goes to purchasing lands that are then given to govt agnecies. IF you are OK with govt agnecies controlling more and more private land, then simply keep donating to RMEF...............

I'm just stunned at this....that trained biologists with RMEF could not know the carnage these wolves would create....and that their proliferation would come on the backs of the elk, moose herds that sportsmen's dollars had created through sound management programs over many years.

All the more ironic that the same sportsmen helped RMEF raise the money to fund the purchase of the lands they turned over to the Feds,and made RMEF a political force whose endorsements no doubt helped foster the wolf introduction.

If RMEF were a Trustee of the sportsmen whose money went to both "causes",they would be guilty of a serious conflict of interest and breach of their fiduciary duty to these same sportsmen.

Knowing this,I am regreting that I devoted as much time and energy as I did for the RMEF Chapter in my local area.

Bob - You believe it just because sundles says so? Up to you, but would be interesting to see sundle's support for where RMEF "endorsed and encouraged wolf dumping."

Thanks for your work on behalf of elk.

Sundles - Time to sort the buckwheat from the bull$4it. Where are your facts? Just because you said so, or your heard it from a buddy, or you read it on the internet, isn't cutting it. Let's see some official statements by RMEF where they "endorsed and encouraged the wolf dumping."

Like you, many here are happy to have a lively debate. But, debates constitutes presenting differing opinions supported by facts. Where are the facts?

Though you obviously are not, I am OK with government agencies acquiring more land for wildlife habitat. So I will continue to donate to RMEF, DU, and any other other good conservation group that puts their money where their mouth is, and not the other way around.

Last edited by BigFin; 02/28/11.

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
For year the great RMWF just looked the other way while the Wolves ate up the herds of elk thinking it was going to help their position. That large flushing sound you're about ready to hear is the RMWF going down the toilet!

That is my view of it as well.
I am and will continue to be a supporter, but RMEF was very late to get involved in some issues.
Only recently have they begun to seriously address the wolf issues.
For years RMEF had an opportunity to educate and inform about CWD. They continue to provide very little leadership or even information on that issue.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I can see why the RMEF was complacent to allowing woofs in, remember the original agreement was 300. Had that been held to be true, it may have been a good thing for overall herd strength.

However, we know the rest of the story and the RMEF I think takes too much of the blame.

Like any other political organization, I won't agree with everything they do. But, I agree with most things they do and they are trying to right the past. I'll continue to be a donor, they aren't perfect, but are fighting a tough fight, where there are many that a bitching, but aren't doing.

Someone mentioned RMEF is a governement schill. Is that a statement with verifiable data, or something read on the internet? Or heard over a beer at the bar? Would ask for whatever proof exists to support that claim.

NO I did not hear that at a bar or on the internet. It was first told to me by one of RMEF's board members who resigned over RMEF's endorement and encoouragement of the wolf issue and over thier raising of funds to buy private lands and then turn said lands over to govt management. This man was one of the charter members and was directly involved in the national level fund raising and no, I wont name him on the internet or you could claim you simply read it on the internet...wont be offering you a beer either, so you can't dismiss the info as coming from an alchoholic.

The last time I personally looked into the matter was 2001 and yes I went on the internet to RMEF's own web site where they listed all the lands they had given over the govt. agencies. Between state and federal govt agencies, the ammount of land that RMEF had facilitated into govt possession was huge. Perhaps it is the freedom loving person deep within me, but sorry, I am not in line with govt agencies having more and more control over lands that were once private.....

I call bull$4it. Many MT hunters have been in the wolf deal since the beginning, and maybe you were also. If that is the case, I guess we have a different interpretation of events that transpired, who said what, and who had the control to affect outcomes.

If you are going to claim that RMEF drove the wolf agreement betweent the Feds and the states, then we have no reason to discuss further. That was the Feds and the states.

Like many in MT, including maybe you, I sat in on almost everyone of those meetings, commented on the state plans, and sat in on many meetings where the state plan was crafted. RMEF was not the driving force in the wolf reintroduction.

Not once did RMEF weigh in as supporting the re-introduction of wolves for the sake of wanting wolves at any meeting or event I attended. They stated they were going to support the state processes, if the state felt it was worth the state's time and effort. If you can find the official position in print where RMEF was asking for wolves, or find it recorded somewhere, show it here, and I will give you the nod as being correct.

Suppose that RMEF had taken the same stance then as they have now. Do you think that could have stopped the states and the Feds from striking some wolf deal? Not a chance. They are a conservation group focused on elk habitat, not the end all and be all for everything that might be proposed on the western landscapes. They have no authority or power over such events.

Who is the RMEF board member who resigned over the wolf introduction? More anectdotal internet rumors, purveyed by the "I'm not going to tell who" defense. And you wonder why people call bull$4it on your statements.

There are four founders to RMEF. Are you talking of one of them as your "Charter Member" who folded his tent and resigned because RMEF was transferring land to public agencies. I doubt it. But, since he remains a mystery man, I guess we will never know.

Whoever it was, he should have resigned if he had a problem with RMEF securing critical habitat and transferring such to public agencies. That has been one of their stated goals from the beginning. If he had a problem with that, he probably should have not been on the board to start with.

All your posts are "my friend said," "someone told me," "I heard." That is fine. Just not a very compelling case for someone making such bold statements about a group that has done more than any group out there when it comes to elk, elk habitat, and elk hunting.

Get some data, provide the links, and people might not take excpetion to what you are saying.

Sounds like you are pissed at the states for botching the deals with the Feds. In that case, maybe you should take your anger and frustrations out on the proper groups - MT/ID/WY and the USFWS.

I think you would have a lot of support for the wolf issue. Most here would support that, including me, if it were something other than an anti-RMEF, anti-public lands rant and was focused at the source of the problem.

As far as public land, if you have some bent against public land, have at it. The number one reason state for people getting out of hunting, hunting less than they have in the past, or having not gotten into hunting, is lack of accessible lands. Don't believe me, go read the National Shooting Sports Foundation study on such.

Not disagreeing with you about RMEF transferring acquired lands to state and sometimes Federal agencies. When they embark on these processes, that is the stated goal from the beginning. That is how they get mathcin funds from the Federal and State sources that are earmarked accounts for the purpose of acquiring habitat and access.

Do you really think that the LWCF moneys are going to be avaiable for the acquisition of critical habitat if we then convey that habitat to private parties? Do you think FWP is going to contribute dollars from Habitat Montana, and then let the land go to a private group?

Other option would be to let the land get subdivided, or whatever other use may occur, to the detriment of elk. I would prefer to see land exchanged between willing buyers and willing sellers, even if one of those parties is a non-profit organization who intends to turn the property over to a state agency.

So, we are losing hunters and places to hunt, and you want to bitch because some group acquires critical wildlife habitat and then conveys it to a public agency for all of us to use. Hmmmm.

You are more than welcome to the idealogic stance that public land is no good. Knock yourself out. Don't expect you are going to have too many supporters for such in an elk hunting forum. I might be wrong, but I suspect most elk hunting in the west occurs on public land.

Hopefully, most here will continue to work toward saving critical habitat, and when possible, make such parcles available to all hunters.

If you want to work against that, and spout your anecdotal stories, go ahead. Some of us feel compelled to make a statement to the contrary, especially when nothing you state is supported by any fact, or at least no facts that you have provided at this time.

Fin, stop putting words in my mouth. I never said (as you just said I said) that RMEF "drove" the wolf deal between the states and the feds, now did I? Did I? Did I? The asnwer is obviously no, I didnt claim any such thing, SO WHY DID YOU JUST CLAIM I CLAIMED SUCH????? Why Fin?

Nor did I claim that RMEF ever attended federal wolf meetings I went to, but you are claiming I claimed that. If I claimed that, show me where. Where Fin? Where Fin? Either you cant read my posts or like to make stuff up. Who is schilling now Fin? RMEF promoted wolf dumping at thier home office in Missoula. The times I went in there in the early 1990's to discuss what RMEF was doing promoting the wolf dumping, they had NUMEROUS pictures of furry wolf pups and mom wolves licking thier babies, etc, etc. They had printed promotional wolf information, that the lucky reader to take home for free. They had a biologist guy there that would tell you how educated/qualified he was to know more about wolves than you and how the wolves would benefit the elk. Sorry Fin, I did not write down the exact dates I went there, nor did I write down the names of the RMEF folks I spoke with there and I didn't/don't need to, in order to know it happened. How you seem to remain cluless to it, is a mystery.

RMEF also promoted the wolf dumping program in their magazine, but unfortunatly I don't have those issues on hand (gee I should have remembered the exact month and year of each publication 15 years ago, just for Fin?) Sorry Fin, you were either reading it when it was printed by RMEF or you weren't, but I was and I don't need to recite chapter and verse to know RMEF was doing it and if you were paying attention back then, you'd know RMEF wrote/published wolf promoting articals too. And by the way, same principle applies to you, if you claim RMEF wasn't promoting wolf dumping, prove it Fin. "I call bu4Sharp" here Fin, prove it, or should I simply take your word for it, because you said so. Why dont you have chapter and verse and dates and names to prove your point, Fin????

Nor did I ever state ANYWHERE, that "public land is no good", now did I Fin? Why then did you state in this post, that I did? Why Fin? Really Fin, who is schilling here?????? Because I don't want govt agencies controlling ever increasing amounts of land, is nothing close to stating that "public land is no good", now is it Fin?

Yes I very well know the person (who came to my house twice in 2001 when my wife and I had our pack string and our persons attacked by wolves in the ID wilderness) who was a big part of RMEF, but quit over the fund disbursment and wolf issues, but I am not going to use his name on the net. I would not do that to you, nor would I do that to him or any one. IF you don't like it, you don't have to like it, Fin.

Yes I do have issues with the states and the feds that did the wolf dumping thing (much bigger issues than I have with RMEF) and I have brought it up with them, but this particular thread was about RMEF, WAS IT NOT? So, I brought up my issue with RMEF on a thread about RMEF....DUH!

I dont think (nor did I ever say) that RMEF did no good what-so-ever, now did I Fin? What I did say is what I have experienced and what I know--which is in no way mutually exclusive of my beef with the USFWS or the state of Idaho, where I lived at the time and where the state senate INVITED me to come testify in thier committee meetings regarding the up-coming wolf management plans, etc, etc, etc,

If you are going to challenge me, you need to not put words in my mouth. I believe you are a smart enough guy to have decent reading comprehension, so I am assuming that you are doing this intentionally, which bodes poorly for you.

Last edited by sundles; 02/28/11.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I once knew of a hippie that wore a wolf T-shirt that just mentioned the RMEF in passing, he was also a big fan of public land. I had to do the only they I could to get back at him and his kind, so immediately I canceled my membership. I will show them cry And that is the truth, Billy Bob was there as a witness.

This whole thread is same old, same old. Cheap suckers. tired

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

I swear I remember the RMEF supporting wolf introduction in order to help and maintain healthy herd numbers in a few articles sometime in the early to mid 1990's. I have to look at some old mags. RMEF came late to the party re the wolf pops and supporting the culling of wolves.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ribka

I swear I remember the RMEF supporting wolf introduction in order to help and maintain healthy herd numbers in a few articles sometime in the early to mid 1990's. I have to look at some old mags. RMEF came late to the party re the wolf pops and supporting the culling of wolves.

Look all you want. Don't confuse discussion of wolves with actual support of wolves or the reintro.

Billy Bob's uncle said so.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Private land huh VG?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck finding an official position on the RMEF supporting the wolf introduction. There was a lively debate between members, and yes, a significant number of members and even board members were pro-introduction. Cripes sakes, even here in Idaho the majority of the public was "pro".

Wolves are here, and there's not a snow ball's chance that they're going to be removed. We should focus on sound, reasonable management.

Beginning with a campaign to impeach that yellow-livered judge Molloy.... JMO, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
We should focus on sound, reasonable management.

Only one way to do that, trapping.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 2,580 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,931
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.