-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Me and a buddy are thinking of going to Florida for some tarpon fishing. Would really like to fly fish for them. Thinking about three days of fishing. Can anybody recommend a guide or someone to get a hold of down there for a great fishing trip. No set place in mind, so we pretty open. Thanks for any ideas/tips.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I fish with Capt. Bob Bieghley out of Cudjoe Key. I've fished with him the last two years for permit and tarpon. He does a very good job. I have always gone in Apr which can be a little early for 'poons. The water temp has got to get up to get them on the flats. Last year, even in late April, the big guys were still in deeper water.

http://www.doublehaulcharters.com/

I'm sure others have more experience, input and favorite guides.

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I recently looked into several captain in the Tampa/Tarpon Springs area for a fishing trip in early April. I have choosen one that I am going to go with but don't have any results to post yet. If you are interested in who I talked to and my impressions feel free to drop me a PM. Bottom line is I would have like to do some tarpon fishing as well but appears to be too early for that area. Once I get back from my trip I will be glad to make a public post.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have been in marathon the last several years at the end of june and first of july. you dont need a guide just fish the beaches you cant even swim for them they are literally everywhere. If you can find lighted docks at night or a lighted bridge like vaca cut you will kill them.
Me and a good friend caught over 30 in a night and some very very large ones.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
i was a charter captain in the keys. health reasons and age forced me to move to a different area of florida. i ran a boat for rode runner charters for a few tarpon seasons. i also ran my own boat out of duck key. may and june would be the best months
for tarpon. it would also be good for mahi mahi outside the reef at that time.
early morning or evenings at many of the keys bridges would be good. rode runner fished for tarpon only and bahia honda exclusivly. that would be my first choice for tarpon. there is a very nice state park facility there with camp spots.
live bait such as pinfish, crabs, and especially mullet are almost required.
if you take your own boat be sure to have a quick release anchor setup.
dont take time to pull the anchor. just dump it and go after the fish.
tarpon fishing isnt rocket sceince. just be there at a good spot with baits in the water and wait.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There are a lot of places in Florida that have good, often great, tarpon fishing at various times of the year. The fishing can get a little crowded in April/May in the Keys, a lot of guides get booked during this time of the year. That doesn't mean that the fishing is only good during those times. But there are places that get a little less pressure.

I like fishing along the lower SW coast of FL, from Everglades City south. I grew up in this area and have fished it for many years and have a trip booked myself for May. I also like the area around Flamingo. The tarpon fishing can also be amazing year round in the Charlotte Harbor area and not just in Boca Grande. I've also completely ignored the east coast of Florida, not because it isn't great fishing its just that I haven't fished it as much. From Jupiter south can be great all summer, plus you'll have good snook fishing too.

You might want to do a night trip. Tarpon like to feed at night, you'll probably get a little more action and it'll be a lot cooler on the boat. You can night fish in Miami with Bob LeMay. He's an old school fly fishing guide that also fishes the Flamingo area. Real nice guy. He came up with the "Lemay Big Eye Tarpon Fly". You can night tarpon fish just about anywhere. I caught several on the fly on a night trip I did in Boca Grande. I don't like it as much as day time fishing, but plenty of others do.

Most people don't realize it, but the tarpon fishing in the big bend area of northern Florida can also be outstanding, lots of rolling fish. Not that many folks fish this area, its a little tough to get to.

All that being said, you'll have a blast in the Keys, just be sure to book your days asap.

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on boca/Charlotte

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Jamie Allen if you want to fish Boca Grande/Charlotte Harbor

http://www.jamiesoutfishin.com/Jamiesoutfishin/Home.html

Rick Grassett if you fish the Sarasota area

http://www.saltwateranglersguide.com/?p=2596

I fished with both of them last season and will be fishing with both of them this season. Both Jamie and Rick are at the top of their game, both book out very early so don't wait too long to book.

Just some words of advise buy some of those high tech long sleeve shirts that breath easy and protect you from the sun (Columbia makes some they are a MUST) . During the Tarpon season it is 90+ degrees everyday while your fishing and these are open flat's boats so "drink lot's of fluids" and have a good hat and sunscreen.

Fly fishing for Tarpon is an experience and it is very addictive !!

Dino

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

142 members (2500HD, 222Sako, 1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 12 invisible), 1,569 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,371
Posts18,488,328
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.