Print Thread
Hop To
#4994335 02/28/11
V
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
V
Anyone have one or any experience with one? Looking for a low cost 22lr or 22mag 3 or 4 inch barrel.
Thanks

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't owned one personally, a friend had one and it had some issues when first purchased. I can't recall exactly what they were, he sent it back and it was repaired with no problems from the factory. However, I do know he sold it to another guy at our gun club shortly after getting it back and said he wouldn't have another. I looked at a couple at a local shop recently and externally they looked nice. With that said the actions were gritty and heavy feeling. I would want to personally check out the very one I was purchasing to ensure it was smooth enough and well fitted, rather than ordering one sight unseen.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've looked at them a few times in gun shops. Double action is pretty stiff!!!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have heard that they are a decent gun. My problem is that I am spoiled by S&W. Something like a Taurus 94 is alright, but I just can't help but wish it was Smith.

Maybe look for a used Smith in the price range you are comfortable with? I found a near mint 17-6 for $500.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have an older SS 94, a son-in-law and my oldest son have the newer SS style. They are all 4in. We really like them.

I changed out the trigger return spring on the new onees and got them stoned by a smith.

FWIW I have a 4 in S&W 651 in .22 Magnum that I carry in the woods and I use the 94 for practice. I would be just as happy carrying the 94 loaded with Velociters if I didn't have the 651.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm an unabashed fan of DA .22 revolvers, and the Taurus .22s in particular. They are accurate, rugged, and a hellava lot of fun to shoot. Dollar for dollar, a new Taurus is a bargain when compared to a new S&W. Taurus revolvers have a reputation for rough trigger pulls, and I'd suggest that you factor in the cost of trigger job when dickering over price at your local gun shop.

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid. --John Wayne
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a couple of Tauri, and like them quite a lot. They are dependable, accurate, and nice looking. Of course, the first thing I did with them was have the triggers done. I just figure that's part of the package.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bought a new M96 in 6" over 25 years ago. Nary a problem, very accurate and still looks pretty good. SA pull is pretty decent, never fired it much DA.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like the old Rossi 515 (22 MRF) and 518 (22 LR) better. The Rossi 511 (22 LR) is also a good choice for a stainless revolver under $300.

If you have larger hands and the grips on these revolvers are too small to fit comfortably, M&M Gunsmithing in Alexandria, VA, has the larger "target" grips that were intended for the Rossi 720s in 44 Special, but which fit the 515/518 frame perfectly. www.mmgunsmithing.com

JEff

V
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
V
Thanks guys, I am gonna have to find one locally to look at closer.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have the 5" blued version. Excellent bluing, BTW.

When I bought it, what I really wanted was a S&W model 63. But at the time, they were almost unobtainable. My 94 did need a trigger job. And it also had a little problem that, according to what I could glean from Rimfire Central at that time, was somewhat common. The cylinder/barrel gap was just a little too tight. It only caused trouble after many rounds of carbon deposit and I could wipe it off with a Break-Free soaked rag and go back to shooting, but I had my 'smith take care of that too. All said - I still spent considerably less than I would have on a model 63.

It is a very accurate little revolver, with decent DA trigger, excellent SA trigger, and decent sights - and I am quite happy with it. However...with the model 63 being currently available from S&W, I would still spend the extra bucks for the Smith if I had the choice and was shopping again. The S&W sight are noticeably better, and the trigger is still better. And I like the S&W stainless finish better than either finish that Taurus offers on the 94. Oh, and last I checked, there were way more grip options available for the S&W.

But, dollar for dollar - that 94 is a good buy. Just look closely at that cylinder gap before you buy...

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I bought my new M96 many years ago, I put a pair of Pachmayr Grippers on it, that were cataloged for S&W K frames. Minumum amount of fuss involved to get them to fit.

I wouldn't take a Rossi revolver on a bet. If others have had some success with them, fine. Have seen too many fubared ones at our club's ranges over the years, to ever want one.

The latest was last summer. Brand new short barreled SS in 357. Guy got about a cylinder and half through it and it was jammed tight. No sign of primer bind, just flat-assed bound up internally. Couldn't open cylinder or cycle the action. Last I'd heard, the dealer gave him another one to replace it and sent the offendin' piece back.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I currently have 9 Rossi revolvers, all stainless;

515, 22 MRF, 4", adjustable sights, x4
518, 22 LR, 4", adjustable sights, x2
720, 44 Special, 3", adjustable sights, x3

I have carried all of them, 1 at a time, afield for parts of the past 10 years, 03/2001 thru 03/2011, and have never had a single problem. I don't recall seeing any other Rossi revolvers at the range or in the field, so they must not be a popular option in the place where I have carried a handgun. After thousands of rounds through the rimfire revolvers and hundreds of rounds through the 44 Specials, I am satisfied that, if properly maintained, my Rossi revolvers will work reliably when called upon.

A sample size of 9 is too small to accurately reflect the universe of Rossi revolvers and I know that most S&W folks look down their collective noses at the Rossis, but these 9 revolvers have worked fine for me. Also, they have all cost between $217 and $310, probably less than 50% of what the comparable S&W revolvers would have cost. They're never likely to be collectors' items or family heirlooms, just honest working guns.

JEff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dubePA
When I bought my new M96 many years ago, I put a pair of Pachmayr Grippers on it, that were cataloged for S&W K frames. Minumum amount of fuss involved to get them to fit....

Don't know how we went from Taurus to Rossi, and don't know what a 96 is from either. But I do know that the Taurus 94 will not fit S&W grips to any acceptable degree, even with modification.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

334 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12savage, 1beaver_shooter, 50 invisible), 1,834 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,036
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.