-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My 1954 .30-'06 FN has suffered minor corrosion damage to the last 6-inches of the barrel at the muzzle. Any suggestions as to who can re-blue/restore the barrel? Thanks.

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid. --John Wayne
GB1

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Have you tried to buff it with bronze wool (softer than steel wool? I'd try this first by putting some gun oil on the bronze wool to polish it. You will not restore the bluing that is gone, but the result might be acceptable, depending on the condition of the rifle in general.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The rifle was in superb condition, and I'd like to return it to that state, if at all possible. It was bought new in 1954, made meat three season running, and was then put away (my father preferring to hunt deer with a .30-'06 Mannlicher Schoenauer carbine with a 20-inch barrel). While living in Ireland where a .22-250 was the larges rifle allowed, the FN was placed in storage here in the USA. While in storage the wrap on the end of the barrel came loose and the bluing was damaged.

I can fully appreciate that the rifle is probably only worth $800 at best, but in this instance the cost of restoration is a secondary consideration.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Gary Reeder in Flagstaff AZ is probably the best bluer there is, unless you want the original finish - his "black chromex" is both beautiful and durable. You can google Gary Reeder Custom Guns for his web site and e-mail.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Doug Turnbull.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
+1

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
www.turnbullmfg.com Thank me later.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Old_Writer
My 1954 .30-'06 FN has suffered minor corrosion damage to the last 6-inches of the barrel at the muzzle. Any suggestions as to who can re-blue/restore the barrel? Thanks.

I would send your barreled action off to a shop the does lot of FN-Browning work. They would be able to match the bluing the best.

The job should not require anything more than pulling the barrel and a bit of restriking /repolishing /reblue of the barrel only.

With shipping, there is no way the job should cost more than $200 ,even for rust blueing.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Another vote for Doug Turnbull. He knows his stuff.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Guys, thanks for all the input. I really appreciate it.

Originally Posted by jim62
I would send your barreled action off to a shop the does lot of FN-Browning work. They would be able to match the bluing the best.
Jim, do you know who does a lot of FN-Browning work?

--Scott

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Guys, thanks for all the input. I really appreciate it.

Originally Posted by jim62
Jim, do you know who does a lot of FN-Browning work?

--Scott

These gents in Missouri work on a lot of older FN Brownings-

http://www.artsgunshop.com/

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Jim--

Thanks for the lead!

Scott

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Jim--

Thanks for the lead!

Scott

Scott,

They are known for their rebuilds on Browning salt guns.

The older 1950 FN Bolt guns such as yours were NOT highly buffed guns. Make sure you you tell them to stay away from them with buffing wheels!

Improper polishing ruins many blue jobs.

Last edited by jim62; 03/03/11.

To all gunmaker critics-

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (1234, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 21, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 3,286 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,816
Posts18,536,768
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.