Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bubbajay
Like the title says I am thinking about letting my wife buy me one, a Ruger Blackhawk, I know quite a few people with a 44 magnum but nobody has a 41, what are the pro's and con's, other than the price of factory ammo (can reload) my other thought is a 45 colt.

My wife is paying and liked the looks of the Ruger Super Blackhawk with wood grips (she thought it looked cool and old, her words).

I guess I can leave it up to you gentlemen (used loosely wink ) which caliber is the most fun to shoot for recreation with occasional whitetail hunting?
Pro's are a great caliber and great gun. The price is usually right on a Blackhawk too. The cons of the specific gun is usually needing some smoothing up. This can be done by a gunsmith or just with normal practice over time. The gunsmith will be quicker and a little better, maximizing your shooting pleasure and skills. The con of the caliber has already been stated, availability.

I've never owned a .41 Mag. Wouldn't be afraid of one or one in a Blackhawk, in the least. Let her get it for you and never look back, would be my advice. You want a 45 Colt or a 44 Mag. down the road, get that too.

The 45 Colt is better overall. Specifics as to why have already been given. Either will do you fine. 41 sounds intriguing.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ColeYounger

I've never owned a .41 Mag.

The 45 Colt is better overall.

How better?

I have owned both..................

MM

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I'm in the camp that feels the .45 Colt should not be loaded over 20,000 psi. That means that the .41 will easily out perform it. BTW, trying to find hot ammo for the .45 Colt is tougher than finding factory ammo for the .41 in my neighborhood.
It produces about 15% less recoil than the .44 Mag and just as loud.
Every bit as much fun to shoot at the longer distances as the .44 with less recoil.
Now, if you want some real killing power w/o the ear splitting blast of the .41 or the .44 Magnums, then I'd say the .45 Colt.
I see the .41 Magnum as a good choice instead of the .44 Magnum in the same weight of the lighter guns.
I suspect I'd be happier with the lighter Ruger Blackhawk in the .41 than I would be with a .44 Magnum. E

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Eremicus
I'm in the camp that feels the .45 Colt should not be loaded over 20,000 psi. That means that the .41 will easily out perform it. BTW, trying to find hot ammo for the .45 Colt is tougher than finding factory ammo for the .41 in my neighborhood.
It produces about 15% less recoil than the .44 Mag and just as loud.
Every bit as much fun to shoot at the longer distances as the .44 with less recoil.
Now, if you want some real killing power w/o the ear splitting blast of the .41 or the .44 Magnums, then I'd say the .45 Colt.
I see the .41 Magnum as a good choice instead of the .44 Magnum in the same weight of the lighter guns.
I suspect I'd be happier with the lighter Ruger Blackhawk in the .41 than I would be with a .44 Magnum. E

I agree in old Colt SAA, but not in a modern Ruger

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by ColeYounger

I've never owned a .41 Mag.

The 45 Colt is better overall.

How better?

I have owned both..................

MM
The 45 Colt is bigger, both in frontal area and case capacity. In modern steeled, heavy platforms that will withstand high pressures, it can be loaded to velocities which are in the neighborhood of the .44 Mag. Heavy 45 Colt bullets weigh more than the .41 Mag's, etc. Plus the 45 Colt is easier to obtain.

I think both are great cartridges. I'm not experienced with the 41 Mag. but I'm not experienced with the 41 Colt either, yet I can tell you with some assurance that the 45 Colt exceeds both. The reason I didn't was because I've gave my rundown on the 45 Colt here multiple times and didn't figure most wanted to hear it again. Combine that with other posters having already detailed this stuff before I did on this thread (IIRC without reading the whole thing over) and I didn't see the need.

If you want to compare an SAA made in 1895 to a new Blackhawk and you're using it for hunting medium game, then the 41 Mag. should get the nod. Blackhawk vs. Blackhawk, the 45 Colt holds a decided edge. Dude should get what he wants, like I said in the other post.

Last edited by ColeYounger; 03/02/11.
IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
Cole is correct on the 45 Colt in a Ruger Blackhawk, it will easily over power both the 41 & 44 magnums & as you move into the heavyweight bullets its even more evident.
One of the Hodgdon manuals shows loads in the 32,000 psi range that are totally safe in modern Ruger sixguns. A 44 magnum works in the 40,000 psi range but still can't keep up with the heavy slugs.
Getting back to the 41 maggie: If you load it with 250 gr slugs & do the same with the 44 there's pretty much zero difference in performance. That plus the 41 just might do it with less recoil, the reason is a 41 blackhawk & a 44 blackhawk don't weigh the same, the 41 is heavier if the barrel length is the same. Smaller holes in the cylinder & barrel is the reason.
What we're doing here is spliting hairs because no animal can live on what little difference there is between a max loaded 41 maggie with 250's & a max loaded 44 with 250's, there is a slight edge to the 44 but its not much.
In the end you have to ask yourself, do I want max power along with heavier recoil or do I shoot for pleasure & still have ample power for game up to elk size.

Dick

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I say let her buy a 41. Reloading won't let the ammo availability hurt you at all. Components are available.I bought a 41 blackhawk last fall.I also have a 44 mag super blackhawk and a 45 colt blackhawk already so for me its not a 41 vs 44 vs 45 thing. The bad part is that I had to buy my own.
Enjoy whatever you choose.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well...since I have twentysomething .41s, two .44s and no .45 Colts you probably can tell where my sentiments lie.....

All are great rounds in great guns but the reason I ended up with .41s over the others was perceived recoil... Especially with the short barreled gun, SA or DA, with full loads the .41 is just more fun to shoot...

Some Ruger .41s...

Top is a limited edition Flat Top

Center is a 80s vintage Blackhawk with a Super Blackhawk gripframe

Bottom is a 1976 Centenial with stag grips...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Flat Top with new bonded ivory grips..the checked narrow black plastic is not fun with heavy loads..

[Linked Image]

80s vintage 6.5" with Weaver base system and Leupold scope...a tack driver at 50 yards..

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/RJM52/Single%20Action/RugerBH-SSS-Marlin-FA020.jpg[/img]

Just a great round....

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I think I am going to go the 41 route, to me it will be something that not everyone has and will say "what the hell is a 41 mag?" There is always time to get other calibers right? I think I will take my 3 month old daughter with to help me pick it out, and later on she can have it. I appreciate the feedback from everyone and will let you know how I like it when I get it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bubbajay
I think I am going to go the 41 route, to me it will be something that not everyone has and will say "what the hell is a 41 mag?" There is always time to get other calibers right? I think I will take my 3 month old daughter with to help me pick it out, and later on she can have it. I appreciate the feedback from everyone and will let you know how I like it when I get it.
Sounds good bubba. Let us know.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd take a look at the new 41 mag Ruger Blackhawk Flattop that is a limited edition. 45/8 barrel would be sweet.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by AB2506
I'd take a look at the new 41 mag Ruger Blackhawk Flattop that is a limited edition. 45/8 barrel would be sweet.

I was on Rugers site I didnt see anything where would I find info in this?
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
You mean like this one?
[Linked Image]

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=218465154

or

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=218479742

I also would like to see it in a 4 5/8 inch. I suppose a guy could have the barrel shortened while it was in the shop getting the trigger done.

I own one handgun. My first and so far only revolver is a Ruger SBH hunter in 41 mag.

I load and shoot a lot of 210 gr bullets at about 800 fps. With these loads the gun feels about like a 38 special. On the top end I load the 210 gr Hornady XTP to 1400 fps. This is is shamed very little by a 44 magnum.

I have never purchased factory ammo in 41 caliber, so can not speak as to scarcity of factory ammo. But I can testify that 41 caliber bullets can be hard to come by, even at Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse.

In my gunsafe can be found a 30-06AI, a 260 Rem, a 264 Win mag, a 22-243AI, a 7mm STW, and a Marlin 1894 in 41 mag. The SBH 41 mag fits well with my arcane collection.

No, I would not trade it for a 44. Not even if .429 bullets were given away for free.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very nice. I have only seriously considered two .41 Mags in my whole shooting career. One was years ago when I spotted a beat up 57 at a local gunstore. It was about the same price you'd expect to pay for one in pretty good condition...$275 I think. If it had been $100 less, I'd of bought it. It was scratched up pretty bad and $275 really was the going price on a decent one.

Then just last week, I looked at that same gun in Gander's Mountain. It was one of the few guns there that looked to be decently priced. Really tripped my trigger for some reason. That's the one I'd get if I were looking at .41's.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

I also would like to see it in a 4 5/8 inch. I suppose a guy could have the barrel shortened while it was in the shop getting the trigger done.

Or, just find one like this Ruger Blackhawk in .41RM with a 4 5/8" barrel..

[Linked Image]

I picked up that little beauty a few years ago.. Handy little backwoods carry gun in a decent belt holster... smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe single actions are your bag but like Cole said 57's are awesome if you can find a good one.This one has taken several deer over the years and is super accurate!!BTW I like single actions too.. grin

[Linked Image]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Maybe single actions are your bag but like Cole said 57's are awesome if you can find a good one.This one has taken several deer over the years and is super accurate!!BTW I like single actions too.. grin

[Linked Image]
IIRC, they made the Abilene in 41 Mag... smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep I could have picked up one right after I bought my 44,still kickin my azz for that dumb move!! grin

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am a .41mag fan. My Ruger .41 is a 4 5/8" Blackhawk, not SBH, that I bought new in the 80's. I replaced the rear sight blade with a white outline. I replaced the hammer with a Bisley hammer. If you get a Blackhawk, the first thing that I would do, is send to MidwayUSA for a Wolff spring kit and Hogue Rubber Mono Fingergroove grips. About $25 for both. The hammer spring is a simple changeout while you are changing the grips. The rubber Hogues are not as pretty as the wood, but try them, you'll like them. Reeds at OK City sells .41 Special ammo now. Good luck.

Last edited by croldfort; 03/03/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The only handgun I have is a Taurus Tracker in 41 mag. I bought it mainly to carry with me while archery hunting, and the Taurus was light enough that it wouldn't get left in the truck. I don't shoot it very often, but have never had any difficulty finding ammo for it. I have not reloaded for the 41 yet, probably because I'd be hard pressed to go through 50 rounds a year. The only drawback, if you can call it one, is the limited choices when it comes to different factory loads available. I have no regrets and would buy the same gun again. That's my opinion, but bear in mind that I am pretty much a newbie when it comes to handguns.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 10ring1, 58 invisible), 2,090 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,086
Posts18,521,930
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.