Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
RyanTX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for the info Rocky, I'll have to give that a try.

Our club has matches periodically. I've only participated in one, but it was a blast (no pun intended grin). My wife wants to start shooting in the matches too. I've thought about using the match grade ammo for those matches and leaving the bulk ammo for the plinking sessions. But, if I find the same results on the "seasoning" experiment, then I may need to clean and re-season prior to the match.

Of course, if I find that the match ammo isn't that much more accurate than the bulk stuff (especially for shooting at steel), then I can stick with one brand for all of it. Well, at least for a little while as I have a lot of Federal, Winchester, and Remington bricks.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
We shoot about 400 rnds through each pistol, each week.
So I clean well. Inside and out after each outing.
The Buckmark will get failures to fire quickly after that.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ryan, as a minimum, run that test with your practice and then your match ammo. At the minimum, you'll quickly see how many rounds of match you need to fire to re-season the bore and get back to full accuracy. It might be as few as ten rounds.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rocky I agree on the seasoning theory. I learned about it from Don Geraci who probably has set more ARG rimfire benchrest records than about anyone I know of. He taught me that when you swap ammos that it will take 10 to 20 rounds for things to settle down and for groups to come back. He also taught me to never clean the entire bore, as it can take sometimes hundreds of rounds for the barrel to reseason well enough for rimfire benchrest. I can not give any eveidence anecdotal or not as to the correctness of his methods, just what I was taught. It apparently works pretty well for him, but the only type of differing between rounds is going to brands of match ammo. That may be the difference between yalls processes.

Originally Posted by RockyRaab
To test my "seasoning" theory for yourself, try this:

Gather up four or five kinds of ammo. Pick a couple different brands, some bare lead, some copper-washed, and of both standard and high-velocity.

Shoot three ten-shot groups at 50 yards from a solid rest with each ammo type, but don't clean between. What you almost certainly will see is that those three groups will get progressively smaller from first to last, then go big again as soon as you change ammo types.

Now take a box of your favorite ammo and shoot a ten-shot group, clean, shoot another group, clean an then shoot three more ten shot groups without cleaning. You'll be amazed to see that the three groups after cleaning are large, but the last two (without cleaning between) get quickly tight. And they'll stay that way unless you clean or switch ammo again!

I've run that test series many times with different ammo types and in different guns. The pattern seldom changes. It not only shows that my "seasoning" ideas are sound, but that shooting only a few shots of ammo to see what your gun might like is futile.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I think it depends on the pistol. I have a single six, a SW 22A,and a woodsman that seldom get cleaned - just a shot of oil. My Buckmark needs cleaning after every outting as well as the mags.

O

Too old to suffer fools
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a 4" BB MK 11 that has about 4-5000 rounds through it.

I've ran a bore snake through it, but it's NEVER been field stripped.

Soon as it fails to fire, Im gonna have to clean it!

Virgil B.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Every time I shoot them. Except the barrels, of course. Never clean them.

Norm -
NRA Member Since 1966
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wait a minute...you're supposed to clean em'?

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
K
K
The Walther P22 can go a long time without cleaning, just a quick spray of remington lube will keep it running but the Phoenix HP22 needs to be cleaned after about 300 rds or so or it'll hang up constantly when I fire cheap bulk stuff through it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Usually if its a semi-auto and the extraction starts to stick, I know it needs some gunk cleaned.

I pull a wet patch thru, clean the barrel with a brush and a patch to get the gunk out plus clean the worse of the gunk from the chamber/receiver. After every use.

I used a Marlin 99 and Winchester 250 for years without cleaning, when I was a kid. Probably would not do that now! But they still worked just fine. Finally cleaned the 99 a few years ago, amazing it still worked with all the carbon and lead caked inside the receiver. But it did.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by EddyBo
Rocky I agree on the seasoning theory. I learned about it from Don Geraci who probably has set more ARG rimfire benchrest records than about anyone I know of. He taught me that when you swap ammos that it will take 10 to 20 rounds for things to settle down and for groups to come back. He also taught me to never clean the entire bore, as it can take sometimes hundreds of rounds for the barrel to reseason well enough for rimfire benchrest. I can not give any eveidence anecdotal or not as to the correctness of his methods, just what I was taught. It apparently works pretty well for him, but the only type of differing between rounds is going to brands of match ammo. That may be the difference between yalls processes.

Pretty much confirms the point I was trying to make in my earlier post. It really depends on the type of .22 and the kind of shooting. The neat thing about .22s is that they are pretty low maintenance for the most part. OTOH, shooters like the benchresters spare no expense or effort in wringing out the last measure of accuracy.

I note that Geraci's method is very similar to what Lilja recommends. Lilja suggests seldom cleaning the entire bore, but does recommend brushing the chamber and throat area, as that is where fouling builds up. I follow his recommendation, at least with my match barrel(a Lilja).

I also recall reading somewhere that the sequence of firing different brands of ammo can make a difference. IIRC, it was that Lapua can follow Eley with no change, but not the other way around. It's an empirical question, meaning you just have to test the theory.

I have a book with an interview with Lones Wigger from some years ago. He said he cleaned after every box of ammo. Hard to argue with a world champion.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, but... (isn't there always somebody with a yeah but? LOL!)

One can make the analogy that drag race teams tear down and rebuild their engines every ten runs - or two and a half miles. So what benchrest guys and the rest of us do are two very different things - and so is the difference in equipment.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Exactly.

Of course racers and competitive shooters are sort of the R&D folks for our sports, and it is instructive to learn from them, even if we don't do everything exactly the way they do.

Learning from them also helps sort out valid information from all the old wives' tales that permeate the shooting world, just like everywhere else.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (673, 300_savage, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 79S, 2500HD, 15 invisible), 1,608 guests, and 892 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,503
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.