Hop To
raybass Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Anyone seen this pic? Thats crazy.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by raybass; 03/02/11.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Right...

raybass Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Eight
Found it on AR, supposed to have happened in Spokane, WA

Last edited by raybass; 03/02/11.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Its about 15 miles from my house. I use to hunt the area. The Valley is all private property. There use to be a TON of Deer in that area. The guy that set up the camera was trying to get some pics of Bobcats. I have seen the Largest Bobcat I have ever seen in that area but never a Cougar. Here is a Link to the first sight to put up the pics. It has a more pics and a Video clip on page two.

http://www.huntfishnw.com/index.php?topic=4015.msg42771#msg42771

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree. It is real. Was in the Missoulian Newspaper a couple weeks ago.

http://missoulian.com/lifestyles/re...0f2a6fe-3ad5-11e0-bbd7-001cc4c03286.html

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Someone here made a very convincing argument for this being 8 photos of the same animal taken from the same camera and laid on top of each other. I'm going with that.

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by BrentD
Someone here made a very convincing argument for this being 8 photos of the same animal taken from the same camera and laid on top of each other. I'm going with that.

Brent

agree

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BrentD

Brent

Yes, sir - in agreement.

(Post Script - forgive me Father for I have sinned) frown

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Yep anyone that knows anything about Cougars knows that the only place you are going to find 8 Cougars together is in a bar.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you go to my Link in my first post above there are more pictures and a video. The guy that owns the trail camera has mass pictures and video that was not published. It has been CONFIRMED by WA. Fish&Wildlife

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Allen917
Yep anyone that knows anything about Cougars knows that the only place you are going to find 8 Cougars together is in a bar.

CLASSIC!

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Dec 23th? Must have been the group Christmas party photo smile

Ted
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Slider1
If you go to my Link in my first post above there are more pictures and a video. The guy that owns the trail camera has mass pictures and video that was not published. It has been CONFIRMED by WA. Fish&Wildlife

Any reason to believe that they can't be fooled any less easily that the internet masses? All the pictures are easily faked. If you search this forum you will find another discussion of it and I think it is much more plausible than the picture being real.

Allen is the only true "wildlife" biologist who really knows his stuff around here.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cougars are such elusive animals that, despite studies of radio collared animals, we just don't know that much about social interactions. Back in the 1970s, there was a houndsman and trapper in trans-Pecos Texas who put radio collars on a number of animals and tracked them from the air. This was an honest, objective fellow who had tracked cougars for years with his hounds, in addition to the radio tracking studies. His experiences convinced him that, except for breeding, cougars were always solitary and that they avoided friction by selectively sharing their home ranges, using "scent stations" to avoid conflict.

At the same time, there was a biologist, who studied ant behavior, working in the Big Bend region. This guy was extremely patient and basically spent his days immobile under an umbrella setup, taking notes on ant behavior at individual ant hills. He broke his days up into two half-days, taking notes in the mornings or afternoons and the other halves of the day he spent transcribing his notes. When he was observing his ants, he was like a rock on the landscape, pretty much unobtrusive.

One day, he glanced up and notice four cougars nearby, walking around and sniffing one another, milling about much like the animals in the picture that started this thread. He thought that Roy would be very interested in his observations, and sought him out the next time that Roy showed up in the park.

Roy was a hard-bitten west Texan and not given to "Wow" Or "Eureka" moments. He listened politely while the fellow described the scene he had witnessed and made the offer to share his field notes. After the ant biologist finished, Roy just looked at him a moment and turned and walked away. He missed a chance to think about something that was out of the ordinary and just what it might mean with respect to cougar interactions.

Since then (forty years ago), evidence of periodic interaction of multiple cougars surfaces once every few years, but apparently this happens infrequently and cannot be readily confirmed by subsequent observations. I would appreciate a link to the discussion that you reference, as I am certainly not an expert on Photoshop, but my wife is, as are several of her colleagues.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Can we ever get a definitive answer on this? I don't know if it can be proved one way or another, but having spent the majority of my life in southern oregon, northern california, and eastern washington, I'll tell you even if I was there and saw it with my own eyes I still flat wouldn't believe it.

Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The photo looks like multiple exposures of a few cats as they moved. My doubts keep growing about 8 together.

Having said that, my son (mainly) and I found a basin less than a mile across where at least five different cougars entered and left within a span of probably two days. Near the center of the basin a lion with huge tracks killed a blacktail buck and stayed with it for a little over four days till it was eaten. Within the first day or so while he was there, the other cats "converged" in his basin, passed through and left.

Within ten feet of the kill, the big lion had ripped a smallish stump, scattering splinters of wood on the snow. It was a weathered stump of hard gray wood, not rotten.

We surmise that the big lion called the others vocally, partly based on how vocal we have heard lions be at times. Something drew them to the basin.

The more I track them the more I learn and keep getting surprises.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Its akin to a pic of a pig flying..Would you still have to ask if it was real?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

funny

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by 79inpa

funny

Yes it is. One wonders how he knows that.....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by old_willys
Dec 23th? Must have been the group Christmas party photo smile
TFF!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

662 members (10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 62 invisible), 3,020 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,431
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.