Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I have read on this site that people have had Remington 700 bolt handles fall off and extractors break. I think they are the exception and a very small percentage of the total numbers of Remingtons out there.
How many gunsmiths on this board have had to silver solder a bolt handle back on?
How often have you had to replace an extractor on a Remington 700?
I don't want to hear second hand rumors, just gunsmith experiences.
Thanks,
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
GB1

L
LGB Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I have had to replace several bolt handles and extractors. They do come off probably because of a poor silver solder job. The newer extractors type came along about the time I quit general gun work.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Of course I don't do a lot, but I have not personally experienced either problem.
Butch

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Over a period of 14 years full time and 20 years part time.

I have seen one 700 handle come off. Customer admitted to hitting on it with a hammer.

I have replaced about 15 or more extractors. The extractor problems were usually traced back to a handloader loading a gross overload and case expanding in the bolt recess.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In the 30 plus years I have been at this location I have only seen about a half dozen true 700 extractor failures and as I recall most were the result of overloaded ammo, a couple the result of tampering. I've seen two bolt nose rings broken, again, due to overloaded ammunition.

I have seen a lesser number of bolt handles come off, again, the majority having been "beaten" open as a result of overloaded ammo. I recall seeing one come through with a poor solder joint. Not bad considering the sheer number of abused and neglected Remington 700's in this area.

The majority of "repair" work on 700's that come through my shop are trigger related (clean and service) and crowns. Everything else 700 related are either accuracy tuning, re-barrel jobs or full builds.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
That is the kind of result I expected!

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I wonder how many 700's have been manufactured?
I silver soldered a 788 bolt which the owner admitted he was overloading it and pounding it open with a hammer.
The only extractor I remember was on a 742 Woodsmaster.
It had a rusty chamber, which is typical because they are hard to get at unless you have a chamber brush.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why not include people who have had those problems and sent them to Remington for (free at least for bolt handles) repair? I have had a bolt handle come off not due to abuse, just a poor solder joint. No way was I going to pay a gunsmith (even if there was one near by) when Remington would fix it for free and pick up the shipping both ways. Pretty fast, too.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Good Point! grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I still think bolt handle failure without real abuse is a rare event, a tiny fraction of a percent. No process is perfect. When it happens people seem to like to make a big stink about it.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I have worked as an inspector in a machine shop and Murphy worked there to! Sometimes you can get into arguments about whether something is acceptable or not. Both people are looking at the same thing. They both see something different.
Sometimes I think it is a miracle when I can buy something and it works the way it should!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bet you're ahead of a friend of mine, the guy who owns the 700 I mentioned. Since it's 80 miles to the nearest good gunsmith I've done a good bit of repair work for him, the type of stuff you do with hand tools, to the point he shies from "bothering" me with them (which I wish he wouldn't). Put a great big pile of rifles or shotguns on the floor and he'll pick the one with problems. Problems that show up a little later of course, and he doesn't even come close to abusing them.

Which explains a lot.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by whelennut
I have read on this site that people have had Remington 700 bolt handles fall off and extractors break. I think they are the exception and a very small percentage of the total numbers of Remingtons out there.
How many gunsmiths on this board have had to silver solder a bolt handle back on?
How often have you had to replace an extractor on a Remington 700?
I don't want to hear second hand rumors, just gunsmith experiences.
Thanks,
whelennut
Never have had to reattach a handle.. But I have had to replace extractors every year.. It seems the worst offenders are the small bolt-face actions - for some reason..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
L
L
My son and I were dry firing in preparation for a hunt to Zambia and his Rem 700 bolt handle came off when he cocked the action by lifting the bolt. It was a 1995 bought gun in .30-06, I called Rem for repair and asked how common this was, " It happens" was the reply. My answer is for any big game a one piece bolt will do ie pre64 70

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
95% of our work is on Mausers, but we do have a 700 or 2 come in from time to time. One bolt handle replacement that I can remember due to overloading (wrong powder) replaced extractor on same, probably because of the first problem.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Many times I have beat on a Mauser bolt handle with a hammer, jumped on it like a pogo stick, or held the rifle with both hands and beat the bolt handle against the shooting bench until the action finally opened.

Don't do that with a Rem700, both the handle and the extractor are too weak.

If a Rem700 jams up, stop shooting it.
Take it home to your shop and pull the barrel.

That is one of the reasons why Rem 700s are so unpopular for dangerous game.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Many times I have beat on a Mauser bolt handle with a hammer, jumped on it like a pogo stick, or held the rifle with both hands and beat the bolt handle against the shooting bench until the action finally opened.

WTH are you loading in those Mausers!?

RH

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have seen one 700 bolt handle come up with just hand pressure lifting it up on a warm load, no beating, no struggling. It was at the range- the best place to have this happen.

I have seen two that came off inside HARD cases. Never transport your bolt rifle with the bolt in the action. As soon as the baggage goons drop something on the side of the guncase, the bolt handle takes to brunt of the impact! Usually, impacts are what pop them off, whether a hammer or a suitcase.

My 'traveling' hunting rifles are either Pre-64s or custom action with one piece bolts. I don't want to worry about it getting damaged or coming off when I can't replace it!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by himmelrr
Originally Posted by Clarkm

WTH are you loading in those Mausers!?

RH

[Linked Image]

Don't try this in a Rem 700 and then pound it open.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Don't think I would try that in a mauser either Russ

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (1minute, 222ND, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,528 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,794
Posts18,516,128
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.