Hop To
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Still Going???
Perhaps a poll?

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If the bolt handles really a concern, I can have my gunsmith weld it on for $50.00 If Winchester made an extreme weather M70 I'd probably buy one because I've never owned an M70. As far as a light 375 H&H, I use a lead sled for load development and initial sight in, then do the final sight in without it. After that all of my shooting is offhand, kneeling or sitting. No sense in practicing from a bench, I've never seen one in the field. After shooting "Baby" my 500 Jeffery, the recoil in a 375 H&H just isn't going to really faze me much.

By the way, a AussieGunwriter, a poll sounds like a good idea, don't know how to start one though

Last edited by colorado; 03/05/11.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SuperCub

If I was of that opinion to own a 375 in a CRF, I'd want the same advantage for all my rifles, not just the med/big bores. smile

Exactly......my view as well. Plus if you are somewhat anal retentive,schitzo-paranoid,and generally don't trust "things mechanical",and hate it when they don't "work" or break,you tend to shy away from those things which you've seen have "problems",even if they were not yours..which is why, if you see something go wrong, it sticks in your head and addles the brain.Phsychological comfort is a wonderful thing........I remain guilty on all counts frown

Which is why,after many diversions with rifles of many types,all mine are pretty much the same,whether smaller or larger bore.This makes things simple when chips are down.

As an aside,and just for conversation......I was speaking with JWP the other day,talking about rifle actions,and outta the blue, he opined "You know, they have never beaten the design of the original Mauser 98".....Food for thought... sick

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
It has nothing to do with the CRF idea, although I do like that feature as well on rifles that have it. I had a M700 handle peel back when I flipped the bolt closed with the trigger pulled. Granted, the bolt does tend to pop a bit sharply with the help of the firing pin spring, but that shouldn't be a reason to break a proper braze job. And that isn't the only 700 bolt I've seen sans handle. I do use Remingtons from time to time, just not with the same confidence that I have in some rifles. I take pride in being able to make do under the circumstances when necessary, but a naked bolt is not something that appeals to my sense of "making do". Out-of-box reliable is more important to me than out-of-box MOA, although I haven't seen the latter be any more likely with Remington than with other common brands.

I suppose a bolt failure would tend to shade opinions. I've yet to have that happen.

I just don't think the CRF vs PF is a big deal here in NA for most people and chuckle a bit when I see that a 375Mag should be on a CRF, just because it's a 375. grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
And Ross Seyfried killed oodles of big stuff in Africa with a 416 on a Rem 700;Warren Pages' old 375 Weatherby, that killed slews of African game by the truckloads, was built on a Reminton 721 action....so there ya go! smile

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And yet,

Don Heath reports 700s failing in the Zim PH qualitications...

But - to each there own, SC, chuckle all you want - it is good for the heart.

Each rifle needs to be tested anyhow - so all the examples Bob gave proove is those men have found a reliable specimen.

This does not prove the species to be apt.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
CMG: Both those rifles were customs,tweaked I guess....I have read Heath's stuff too. I listen to the African and Alaskan fellows smile

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Question from a flatlander: Just read through the entire thread (ugh!). I'm wondering whether anyone chooses to run a carbon steel rifle with Duracoat, or some other finish as an alternative to stainless. If so, how do they fare in the wet stuff?

PC

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
http://www.accu-tig.com/ Accutig in Fairbanks, AK can solve the 700 bolt handle braze issue on a 700 for those that need it, Never been to Alaska, but have used blued guns painted with rustoleum in bad conditions with good service. Synthetic stocks all the way Russ

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cmg

Each rifle needs to be tested anyhow - so all the examples Bob gave prove is those men have found a reliable specimen.

This tends to be my thinking as well. I have a couple which I trust much, but I've put them both through a lot. I'm kind of thinking another one, the one which went back to the factory on my dime, is probably reliable now in terms of the bolt brazing. But I wouldn't want any of them to be my sole rifle if I was going on a ten-day drop hunt around here.

Out-of-box accuracy is easy to discern, and relatively easy to correct. Issues of reliability can be less so.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob, apologies. No slight intended.

Klik,

that basic truth should have kept a thread like this one at two replies - at the most.

I am as guilty as the rest, though, in discussing.

BTW, that Ruger .30-06 of yours, with the Boatpaddle and 2,5x20 Scope is fit to end this discussion - with a "look no further".

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cmg
And yet,

Don Heath reports 700s failing in the Zim PH qualitications...

But - to each there own, SC, chuckle all you want - it is good for the heart.

I'm not sure I would take a 700 to Zim on a DG hunt either if I was so inclined to go there. That's why I specified NA [North America] in my prior posting. Most guys here are just blasting away at the range and at deer and moose here in NA, so the long term consequences of failure are minimized. smile

Question .... Would a PH in Africa see more mechanical faiures per capita than here in NA? If so, why?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I read Ganyana's report about the ZIM PH tests and which rifles "survived" the test several years ago. That drove me to buy a CZ 550 in 375 H&H. I ended up rebarreling it to 500 Jeffery (the 375 H&H didn't scratch my recoil itch) so in reality I made the right choice of actions. The 375 H&H fed great right from the factory as it was designed to. The 500 Jeffery took some work, both by the CZ Custom Shop and AHR.

I've hunted grizzly with a Rem 700 before, so I will again. I will get the bolt handle welded on. Other than that, I think it will be good to go. I may bring my 500 Jeff as well and keep it in a waterproof case with dessicant, just in case I get a sunny day hunting.

By the way I just booked a brown bear hunt for this fall so I'm hoping to buy the rifle (Remington XCR II in 375 H&H) next week. I'm thinking a Leupold 2x-7x Vari X2 scope ...

Last edited by colorado; 03/05/11.

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
cmg,

If you ever want to sell CE's old Win. .375, please let me know...........

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The only broken Tikka bolt shields I have seen were guys taking them apart and breaking them by forcing them apart. That said aluminium and steel aftermaket ones are available. Tikkas are good reliable, accurate rifles.

Lefty C

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Question .... Would a PH in Africa see more mechanical faiures per capita than here in NA? If so, why?

SC: from what I understand Don Heath runs the Zimbabwe program for training professional hunters for licensing....I guess he sees a lot of rifle use and on DG as well,as all kinds show with all kinds of rifles to qualify.So I guess he sees a lot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH

SC: from what I understand Don Heath runs the Zimbabwe program for training professional hunters for licensing....I guess he sees a lot of rifle use and on DG as well,as all kinds show with all kinds of rifles to qualify.So I guess he sees a lot.

It would be interesting to see some sort of numbers and possible reasons for failure.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by colorado
I just booked a brown bear hunt for this fall so I'm hoping to buy the rifle (Remington XCR II in 375 H&H) next week. I'm thinking a Leupold 2x-7x Vari X2 scope ...

On my pre-64 375 I use a 4x32 Zeiss... the new Leupold 3x may be the ticket to consider..in 26 years and 14 big bears I've never had a problem with the 4x32...closest shot was a charging Grizzly back in 2000 at 20 feet or so...
I prefer a good fixed 4x or perhaps 3x to a variable on a 375...just less to go wrong... grin

Last edited by ou76; 03/05/11.

"To pick a rifle and bullet for use on game by muzzle energy alone is, at best, foolish...and can be dangerous to your own health..." Bill Steigers, April 23, 1980
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a Leupold 1.5 - 5x on my 500 Jeffery which I like a lot, but I think I want a scope with a little more light gathering ability since I'm hunting in September.

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Where will you be hunting?? I will in hunting in Alaska in May...out of Icy Bay then Blacks on KUIU Island in September...I have a couple 1 1/2x5 also...they are good scopes but I prefer the 4x32 for Brown Bear...it seems to have more light gathering ability...especially as you stalk up a salmon stream...just what worked for me over the years... wink

Last edited by ou76; 03/05/11.

"To pick a rifle and bullet for use on game by muzzle energy alone is, at best, foolish...and can be dangerous to your own health..." Bill Steigers, April 23, 1980
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

678 members (17CalFan, 160user, 204guy, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 65 invisible), 3,166 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,962
Posts18,499,194
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.