M
Russia Tests Another Supersonic T-50 fighter

Are we lagging behind?

MtnHtr

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Maybe not yet but soon...........

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am not aware of any Soviet high tec military hardware that lived up to its hype..

Years ago, the Mig 25 Foxbat was cutting edge for the Soviets, and the West saw it as some sort of super plane. However when we eventually got our hands on one, it was not so impressive in the flesh at all..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
But what about Firfox? grin

"That's what happens when your leaders stop being an American and start being a politician." George S. Patton
What would Yoda do...your ass kick it he would.
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pete E
I am not aware of any Soviet high tec military hardware that lived up to its hype..

Years ago, the Mig 25 Foxbat was cutting edge for the Soviets, and the West saw it as some sort of super plane. However when we eventually got our hands on one, it was not so impressive in the flesh at all..

I was referring to BamBam's systematic dis-assembly of America....

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RAS2

The Russians developed an internet browser???? grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RAS2

The Russians developed an internet browser???? grin

Got me, good one. laugh

"That's what happens when your leaders stop being an American and start being a politician." George S. Patton
What would Yoda do...your ass kick it he would.
[Linked Image]
M
MtnHtr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
You mean this one?

Funny, and very low tech!

MtnHtr

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Roll out hype and a couple of test flights does not a squadron make..If they didn't use much Zinc Chromate again on this new generation they will be dog chit and scrap in ten years or less!! Ruskie metallurgy has not been known for its strength in the past....

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting how the U.S. spent billions developing the F-22 Raptor and within a few years both Russia and China come up with similar planes, and not just similar in stated capability, but similar looking as well. Guess that's what happens when you put the plans on servers that are connected to the internet. Without knowing Russia and China have similar planes, Obama canceled the F-22 Raptor after a production run of just 187 planes. Ok, I'm assuming Obama didn't know Russia and China would soon have similar planes.

So here we go again. The U.S. is developing the F-35 Lightning II (Joint Strike Fighter) with strong international partnerships, which means Russia and China have the plans in real time. As with prior multi-role warplanes, the F-35 might not be particularly good at anything and if it's not a match for the Russian and Chinese equivalents of the F-22 in a dogfight then the U.S. loses air superiority for the first time in a long time.

BTW, some folks are working hard to make our electrical grid smart by interconnecting power plants, transmission lines, and loads over the internet. Does anyone else see the folly in making vital infrastructure susceptible to hacking?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MacLorry

BTW, some folks are working hard to make our electrical grid smart by interconnecting power plants, transmission lines, and loads over the internet. Does anyone else see the folly in making vital infrastructure susceptible to hacking?

The Iranians found out to their cost re the Stuxnet worm...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MacLorry

The Iranians found out to their cost re the Stuxnet worm...

Excellent example. Can you imagine the U.S. being dependent on a "smart grid" when China decides to take back Taiwan. Sometimes dumb is better.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
they will make one or two prototypes, and then retire the design. Of the few they produce, half will crash, the others will fail to perform as advertised.

Sam......

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by elkhunter76

I was referring to BamBam's systematic dis-assembly of America....

elkhunter76

Yep...the sumbitch didn't even have 'flush rivets'! Had a radius of action of about 25 minutes only; designed to run up and shoot down our B-52! If memory serves me correctly Rudolph I. Belenko flew one to Japan...we took it apart and sent it home for analysis!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That plane isn't due to fly until about 2018.. No worry. F22 with dust it. And the F35 too.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If Russian claims about the Sukhoi T-50 multirole fighter are true, then the country that has made do with Soviet-era arms for the past two decades is poised to roar into the 21st century with a cutting-edge weapons system that is so advanced and complex that only the US has been able to field one.

Key point. Russians are prone to take creative license with the truth. I'm sure this vodka fueled heap is an OK plane but I highly doubt it's actual competition for our best tech.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It looks like the consensus here is that neither Russia nor China poses a threat to U.S. air superiority, and thus, Obama was correct to cancel the F-22 after a production run of just 187 planes. I'm not so sure and the U.S. has been caught with its technological pants down before.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
We need more F-22s. Just because they're good doesn't mean a smattering of them will do the job.

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
China is graduating more engineers & scientist than American can dream of. Most are brilliant at what they do. I recently reviewed some Chinese high voltage equipment & it was state of the art. I agree Russia is a want-to-be, but my real concern is the continuing growth of China. With our staggering debt China & Japan will surpass us in a few short years. Very alarming.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (35, 44mc, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, Algotguns, Akhutr, 5 invisible), 1,463 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,415
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.