I have no idea what that's supposed to mean.Skeeter

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I understand your weekend girl friend said you were blow out anyway.Skeeter

Do not want!

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You want to feel concusion and hear an ear-splitting blast, get within 50 feet of my 30-378 Imp when I touch one off.

But...I move out to the outermost bench and warn everyone (if anyone is on the line) that I'm getting ready to shoot. I don't agree with whoever said they paid the same amount and they were there first, so other shooters can blow you. Thinking like that, and acting in that manner will get your azz handed to you pretty damn quick.

My muzzle braked 30-378 bothers ME! I can only shoot about 10 rounds before I start getting a dull throbbing pain behind my eyes.

No, it's not my right to subject my fellow shooters to that level of noise pollution. We all know each other, so when I pull that rifle out I wait until everyone has had a while to shoot, then I shoot 4 or 5 rounds, then back off and let the other shooters shoot unmolested. Then, after a natural lull in the shooting comes, I move out, announce "HEAVY CALIBER!" and shoot my other 4 or 5 rounds.

When I have access to private land where I do most of my moad development for the 30-378 I don't feel so bad about shooting it.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
My muzzle braked 30-378 bothers ME! I can only shoot about 10 rounds before I start getting a dull throbbing pain behind my eyes.

Why tangle with something like that?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by mathman

Why tangle with something like that?

I dunno...prolly take several years on Freud's couch to pinpoint precisely why I enjoy it. I do enjoy having an extended point-blank-zero.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Try a 338-408 Cheytac improved if you want to feel concussion. I had a buddy hunting with me one who was warned to wear hearing protection, but failed to do so when I shot. He said that it sounded like he was listening to the world through busted krako speakers. I would not shoot it without a brake any more that I would a .50 BMG. I no longer shoot my .50 out of my shooting room. They make the florescent lightbulbs fall out of the fixtures.

Last edited by EddyBo; 03/06/11.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
When I bought my .338 a friend of mine talked me in to getting it magnaported before I even shot it. It was the first magnum I owned so I just took his word for it. It is loud when you stand at the 4 oclock and 7 oclock positions. It is like any other rifle when you stand directly behind it. As for recoil, I can shoot a box of ammo and not feel it later. It kicks like a 30-06. Don't know if I would ever port or brake another gun again, I never hear the noise or feel the recoil when I shoot at game anyway.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Missouri Breaks. Muzzle brake.........

A Pachmayr Decelerator pad does as well as muzzle brakes in experience--without the noise..........a lot cheaper to boot.

A muzzle brake does reduce muzzle jump. But then again, so does a better fitting stock.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by lovdasnow
i find this thread kind of funny.

all the guys are calling us puzzys cause we don't like recoil, but at the same time complain about it being to loud on their ears crazy
laugh laugh laugh

Spot on... Hehehehehehee

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Missouri Breaks. Muzzle brake.........

A Pachmayr Decelerator pad does as well as muzzle brakes in experience--without the noise..........a lot cheaper to boot.

Nice try ....but not even close......... Only cheaper!! smile

Last edited by Ackleyfan; 03/07/11.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lovdasnow
i find this thread kind of funny.

all the guys are calling us puzzys cause we don't like recoil, but at the same time complain about it being to loud on their ears crazy

Possibly because the recoil of your rifle does not affect me in any way two seat down from you on the firing line. The blast and the noise of your braked rifle however does indeed affect me.

I've had my chronograph tripod knocked over by the concussion of a braked rifle.

In other words, your choices concerning recoil mitigation begin to have an impact on others.

Like Steelhead said early in this thread, if I'm not comfortable with the recoil sans brake then I'll use something with less recoil.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I just don't see a need for one. I can shoot up to a 375H&H without any concern for recoil so why put a loud brake on the end of it? Plus I like taping the end of my barrels when I'm hunting and that would be pretty hard to do with a brake on the rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They make the barrel several inches longer than it should be. This make it hard to maneuver in thick brush and in and out of vehicles. Plus they really aren't necessary unless your trying to tame a really large sniper rifle.

In my opinion if you need one on a hunting rifle then your over gunning yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get rid of the darn brake then, a bud has the same rifle and that's exactly what we did..it's much easier to deal with the extra recoil than it is to deal with the blow back and noise of that Accu Brake.

Just a thunk.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now in terms of brakes, personally I don't like and or want them. They're ugly as a bucket full of you know whats and I prefer to to try to deal with the noise level of them.

I'd love to have a braked and a non braked section at our range...grin

If someone moves in next to me with a brake I'll wait till he's done if he has time, or I'll just leave and go home if time is short. I find it quite caustic to be around one. And this is just my way but I feel it's rude to do that to someone as well.

Now if someone feels compelled to use them that's fine with me but I do appreciate some respect while he/she's doing so. Funny thing with that I see more men wanting to use brakes then women..And I do know some women using some rather large rounds.

Most of all I hope you all get out and shoot as much as you can but for sure hunt as much as you can as well.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Brakes piss me right the hell off. Nothing worse than some azzhole with a brake sitting down at the bench next to yours.

If you want to run a brake, so be it. But be courteous to the other shooters around you.......

My thoughts too. I wear double ear protection (foam earplugs + muffs)and it is still bad.

RH

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
As always..I didnt read the whole thread so I may be off base here..but I go with a simple rule as it pertains to brakes. If you need a brake on a rifle...you need a different rifle...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by ingwe
As always..I didnt read the whole thread so I may be off base here..but I go with a simple rule as it pertains to brakes. If you need a brake on a rifle...you need a different rifle...

ha, maybe go back and read the thread. there are some good reasons for brakes. loud yes, effective, absolutely!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Can't I just be a Grumpy Old Man..? grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by ingwe
Can't I just be a Grumpy Old Man..? grin

haha, ya, no problem. go for it. grin

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

221 members (1OntarioJim, 22kHornet, 06hunter59, 320090T, 257 roberts, 3dtestify, 21 invisible), 1,179 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,093
Posts18,522,161
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.