Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Many times I have beat on a Mauser bolt handle with a hammer, jumped on it like a pogo stick, or held the rifle with both hands and beat the bolt handle against the shooting bench until the action finally opened.

(shaking head here)... No further comment needed..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
One 700 bolt handle came off in my hand while function testing at the bench. Solder joint appeared to be improperly done. One extractor failure with factory loaded .300 Win Mag ammo.

The bolt handle issue is extremely rare in normal use but it does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Brian

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

[Linked Image]

Don't try this in a Rem 700 and then pound it open. [/quote]

Just a quick question about the case on the far right. Did you work up to that load or start at that load? shocked

Harry
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
In 35 years I have re-attached a half dozen handles. Two came off during normal use. The others wre pounded off. Probably a dozen extractors. For about 15 years I was a Remington warranty 'smith and serviced a large area.
I have had to re-attach a few Model 70 handles (post-64, of course)so Remington isn't alone. GD

G
G
If the freakin thing comes off during periods of extreme abuse, why would you want to use it in a situation that has the potential to nothing but 100% ABUSE?? Dangerous game and Remington 700 are not good partners! We build NO dangerous game guns on 700 actions! I prefer repeat customers, not dead ones! Remember Murphys' law! I guess my customers are harder on their 700's than others because we keep a solid supply of 700 extractors on hand and in my 20 years of business I have replaced 15 or 20 Remington bolt handles!
Gatlin Guns

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
had one bolt handle off in 10plus years looked like a bad weld job. most extracter failures have been traced to customer abuse [dirty, rusty or overloads] not the mfg.

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
gatgun,
Who makes a fool proof rifle?
Butch

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gatgun98
If the freakin thing comes off during periods of extreme abuse, why would you want to use it in a situation that has the potential to nothing but 100% ABUSE?? Dangerous game and Remington 700 are not good partners! We build NO dangerous game guns on 700 actions! I prefer repeat customers, not dead ones! Remember Murphys' law! I guess my customers are harder on their 700's than others because we keep a solid supply of 700 extractors on hand and in my 20 years of business I have replaced 15 or 20 Remington bolt handles!
Gatlin Guns

Alex I'd like drama queens for 200 please

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Gatlin Guns

You must not have been in the military. They teach you to keep your rifle clean and oiled. If you are hunting dangerous game with a rusty chamber and overloaded ammo Darwin takes over. No great loss as far as I'm concerned.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gatlin Guns

How many folks do you actually know who have died as a result of hunting dangerous game with a 700?

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mathsr

[Linked Image]

Don't try this in a Rem 700 and then pound it open.

Just a quick question about the case on the far right. Did you work up to that load or start at that load? shocked [/quote]

9-12-2003 range report
They are all three the same load, shot from left to right in a 1938 Turk Mauser I rebarrelled to 243.
40 gr IMR4895 bulk that acts like H322, 100 gr JSP, 308 LC brass neck pinching the bullet in the chamber.
The third one, the Mauser extractor did not pull out. I had to pound it out with a cleaning rod.

No gas came past my face.

[Linked Image]
With this .223 round, the Rem700 shooter had to stop hunting and go in search of a doctor to treat his eye.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Doesn't look like any rupture pattern I've ever seen from a enclosed breech nose system like a 700. Tear and residue pattern just doesn't look right. Unless it was rebarreld by someone who didn't know how to fit the breech. Regardless, the round appears to have been an overload in which case the guy probably should have sought the services of a Proctologist first, then maybe he wouldn't have needed to seek an eye doctor. I know one thing, if I'm ever caught loading outside the fear zone and have my choice of weapons, with it's enclosed bolt nose, I want to be holding a Rem 700.

SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If you are making .243s from LC .308s and not turning the necks ,that is the problem , or a large part of it !

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I don't know the process of case forming you went through but the above recomendation on turning the neck to eliminate extra thick brass neck formed in the process of going from 308 to 243 along with trimming to the correct length can eliminate some pressure problems up front. An extra ring of steel around the case head has long been a selling point for Remington. It is kind of thin when you take into account the metal removed for the extractor. I like the idea of safe loads and a well vented action. There are a lot of great actions available that are almost fool proof. Note I said almost.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Malm
Doesn't look like any rupture pattern I've ever seen from a enclosed breech nose system like a 700. Tear and residue pattern just doesn't look right. Unless it was rebarreld by someone who didn't know how to fit the breech. Regardless, the round appears to have been an overload in which case the guy probably should have sought the services of a Proctologist first, then maybe he wouldn't have needed to seek an eye doctor. I know one thing, if I'm ever caught loading outside the fear zone and have my choice of weapons, with it's enclosed bolt nose, I want to be holding a Rem 700.

It was a new off the shelf Rem700 with no modifications.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow! Loose/pierced primers are almost always a good indication of excessive pressure. I can't think of an occasion when they wouldn't indicate that something was at least wrong. If you are going to keep shooting with those kind of warnings coming from your fired cases, you should probably yell "Fire in the Hole!" at the range just to let people near you know you are fixing to touch another one off. grin

98's, as a whole, are good actions and handle gas well, but you can only ask them to do so much...That one took some stress. Checked the headspace lately?

Last edited by Mathsr; 03/16/11. Reason: spelink

Harry
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
One fellow I know did hunt semi-dangerous game (grizzly)with a 700 and, in spite of a mishap, managed to come back home. This was more than could be said for the bear. The rifle involved was a Model 700 classic barreled in 7mm STW. After the first shot, the bolt was siezed and an attempt to open it with a chunk of firewood did, indeed, break the handle off. Fortunately, the bear was not alive to witness this having expired due to being pierced through with a 180 grain Swift A-Frame bullet. 180 grain? That's right; the shooter had inadvertently loaded the rifle with a 308 Norma round. This was one of the 700's on which I had to replace the handle and the extractor. Apart from that, the rifle and the shooter were unharmed.
Sitka Deer,
I like the drama queens reference smile.
That 223 case looks like a faulty piece of brass. Make? GD

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

When the solder connection fails, they look like this.

G
G
We build several full custom rifles each year and have for the last 20 years or so. We have built rifles for many different jobs, From Blackwater Ops. to dangerous game guides who carry their rifles daily. There are no perfect actions, there are however actions with fewer inherent problems than the 700's. If you are hunting Dangerous game you are already playing an odds game. Why not tip the odds in your favor and choose a more rugged action? I have a great friend who is a bear and moose guide and has been for nearly 40 years. This gent has been bit, mauled, hooked, horned, stomped and accidentally shot by a drunken client. He says the most dangerous animals are jealous husbands!! He will not even talk of a 700 action and most of his counterparts feel the same way. Are the 700 actions accurate? Yes! Are they reliable enough for Me to trust my life to while hunting Dangerous game? NO!! Judge me as you wish but I will never recommend a 700 action for a customer who is going after Dangerous Game! Gatlin Gun aka "Drama Queen"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a great friend who is a bear and moose guide and has been for nearly 40 years. This gent has been bit, mauled, hooked, horned, stomped and accidentally shot by a drunken client. He says the most dangerous animals are jealous husbands!! He will not even talk of a 700 action and most of his counterparts feel the same way. Are the 700 actions accurate? Yes! Are they reliable enough for Me to trust my life to while hunting Dangerous game? NO!! Judge me as you wish but I will never recommend a 700 action for a customer who is going after Dangerous Game! Gatlin Gun aka "Drama Queen"

Sounds like your great friends problem isn't the gun, but rather his luck. What gun was he carrying while being mauled and kicked around by jealous husbands and dangerous game? You can't blame a rifle for bad luck. You sound like the typical Remington haters that proliferate cyber space. I seriously doubt you have much real world experience with a 700 or you wouldn't make such stupid statements. I think most of your anti-Remington rant comes from what you hear, not what you know.

SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

Who's Online Now
538 members (163bc, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 219DW, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 2,554 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,484
Posts18,529,719
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.