Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What's the first thing you remember your family owning that was made outside the USA?

Maybe the TV for us. Or toys.

Last edited by byc; 03/07/11. Reason: add

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's the first thing you remember your family owning that was made outside the USA?

My OLDEST >grin< sister. Dad was in the Army.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good point. My sister was made in Italy. smile

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now purchased is a different matter, and I'd have to say a car. Dad bought a Fiat (or was it a Renault). Didn't have it long though.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mako25
I have no problem with foreign-made women >grin<
Mine is American made. Born and bred in the USA.

USA...all the way.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
USA...all the way.

You were kind enough to post pics of your property, I'd say she's in tall cotton.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
Agreed, I make a point to buy American first.

Me too....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm not sure I agree with the lack of American made product that many previous posters have suggested. I will happily buy American and I think the point that Mako is making regarding the number of high quality guns being made here is just the tip of the iceberg. The ones he listed are the mass produced models, but what about all the smaller companies that produce higher end stuff?

I believe that this country produces some of the highest quality stuff available anywhere. You might have to pay a premium, but you usually have to if you want the best.

Russell boots are still hand made right here and will last you a lifetime. Alden dress shoes are as good anything made today. New Balance running shoes are still made in the US. Oxxford Clothes suits are the finest off the rack suits made (Chicago), one at a time. This country owns the high end stereo equipment market, no other country is even close. Camping equipment, knives, holsters, tents, backpacks, sleeping bags, the best stuff is all US made. All the fishing equipment I use is US made, the best there is. Most furniture is US made. If you want to talk about cars, trucks, airplanes... we still make the best.

If you want to talk about cheap crap...who cares if China owns that market. I try not to buy that kind of stuff, not because its from China, but because I can't afford to keep buying cheap crap over and over again. I would rather wait and buy it right the first time.

Last edited by TomSmith; 03/07/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just bought a set of Goodyear Eagle tires this weekend. Paid $100 more than the foreign named sets that I never heard of. If the Goodyear Eagles aren't made in America, at least their headquarters are.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I believe the Goodyear's are made in Mexico.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
What I hate is the lack of disclosure in many labels. When looking for US made products I often come across, "Packaged for ..." or "Made for..." or "Distributed by..."

Well that's nice, but WHERE was it made!

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Greyghost

And actually you save gas by searching online for American products instead of driving all over town searching for something...
Absolutely - Within the last five years or so, I rarely 'shop' for anything in stores (excluding groceries, obviously).. 90% is searched for, and found, online...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Greyghost

And actually you save gas by searching online for American products instead of driving all over town searching for something...
Absolutely - Within the last five years or so, I rarely 'shop' for anything in stores (excluding groceries, obviously).. 90% is searched for, and found, online...
I still like to look at something before I buy it and seldom use the mail, parcel service, etc. I agree completely about online searches though. The internet is a great tool.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
While the above posters have good intentions, many American companies shield the fact that their goods are made offshore. While the company has an American name, the products may very well come from a container ship.
High costs of production from labor, OSHA,FICA, SSI, health care, unions, costs of the raw material, corporate earnings tax all have pushed products overseas. The Fed Reserve propping up the falling dollar doesn't help. The Chinese with their currency manipulations is a problem too.

With this latest round of increased energy costs, look for inflation to creep in. If things get worse, then stagflation will rear up and then we are screwed. Recession #2 will kick us down again.
Business is frozen due to lending policies and a cloudy tax outlook beyond the extended Bush Tax Cuts, which aren't really cuts.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
While the above posters have good intentions, many American companies shield the fact that their goods are made offshore. While the company has an American name, the products may very well come from a container ship.
High costs of production from labor, OSHA,FICA, SSI, health care, unions, costs of the raw material, corporate earnings tax all have pushed products overseas. The Fed Reserve propping up the falling dollar doesn't help. The Chinese with their currency manipulations is a problem too.

With this latest round of increased energy costs, look for inflation to creep in. If things get worse, then stagflation will rear up and then we are screwed. Recession #2 will kick us down again.
Business is frozen due to lending policies and a cloudy tax outlook beyond the extended Bush Tax Cuts, which aren't really cuts.

Gosh, those are some positive thoughts for the morn...lol

I agree on the hiding of where goods come from. There is the whole issue of where the materials come from as well. I tend to question any item where there isn't some big American flag displayed prominently with some statement like, "Made in USA by Americans and Proud of It" or suchlike. Bad to get sucked into propaganda, but I've gotten to where I figure the smaller the "Made in USA" moniker, the less likely it actually was.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My three sons wanted Carhartt jackets for Christmas. Damned if I could find USA made ones in the local western wear store or at Bass Pro. I bought a new one for myself six months prior from the local store that is made in the USA. Go figure.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 379 Peterbilt
I will gladly pay more for a product made here in the USA that I deem as one that will last, vs a same/similar product made in China which will last 3 months before crapping out.

You get what you pay for.

I too will pay more for a U.S. vs. China made product particularly given the reputation of Chinese products being contaminated, such as the toxic protein additive used in pet food, or the drywall that out gasses corrosive fumes, or the steel contaminated with lead.

Thing is, brands we associate with being American made are not always better quality than brands we associate with being foreign made. Cars, SUVs and light trucks are an important segment of our economy. Whatever you think of Consumer Reports (leans left) they survey their subscribers every year to track long term reliability. The 2011 Annual Auto Issue should be out this month and it's a real eye opener for those who have never seen long term reliability data before. In that issue you'll see that Honda and Toyota still dominate in reliability based on subscribers' experiences with 1.3 million vehicles. Ford continues to be the most reliable American automaker while Chrysler remains the lowest-ranked manufacturer in the survey.

Based on the information in the April issue of Car and Driver the Dodge Ram 1500 and the Ford F-150 are not domestic models under U.S. law, but the Toyota Tundra is a domestic model. So if you want to buy American and you want a very reliable pickup truck it just might say "Toyota" on it. What? confused

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
The Fed Reserve propping up the falling dollar doesn't help.

Likely it's the Fed�s actions (QE1 and QE2) that are causing the dollar to fall relative to other currencies. These actions are due to the Federal Reserve's mandate, which is "to promote effectively the goals of maximum employment, stable prices, and moderate long-term interest rates."

The problem is that the tools the Fed has to work with are minimally effective in bringing down unemployment without causing inflation. It's really up to Congress to tackle unemployment as it has far more tools to work with such as simplifying or eliminating regulations and reducing taxes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
More important than where your tires were made, is WHEN they were made. Due to changes in the compounding of the tire tread and carcass, most tires, regardless of tread depth, have a maximum useful life of about five years. Always check the manufactures date on the tire, and if the tire is "new old stock" refuse it and insist on tires less that one year old.

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid. --John Wayne
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
EvenFlo makes their Tribute 5 child car seats in Ohio.

I just bought two of them, one for each of the cars for my little guy.

They were a bit more expensive than the Chinese ones but only like $5 each more.

One came with a broken part, and customer service was responsive and sent a new piece out free of charge. It was a bolster clip that held a piece of the seat cover on, and was probably damaged in shipment or while on the floor at Sears.

I always try to buy American.

Last edited by burner; 03/08/11.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

108 members (6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, afisher, 6 invisible), 1,470 guests, and 830 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,324
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.