Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by 1minute

Is our local situation just a sign of depressed times or a trend across the board? The organization has done some fine work, and I'd like to see them survive.

All the conservation groups have taken a hit. RMEF is still primarily based in in western USA and Canada. The west seems to always suffer the most from economic downturns, plus corporate donations are down significantly for most non-profit groups. Throw in less matching money from states and the feds.

Actually, RMEF left Canada in 2005. I considered maintaing my membership anyway but I started to receive solicitations from them that insinuated I "owed" them money to cover the costs of them leaving.
Even though I know some of the folks involved with RMEF in Canada, to this day I don't know the whole story as to why they left Canada but to tell me I owe RMEF in the USA money is a bit over the top.

WRT RMEF purchasing land then donating it to the gov to manage due to ongoing management costs, I sit on the BOD of the Alberta Conservation Association. We purchase land, usually in partnership with other conservation groups such as Alberta Fish and Game Association or Trout Unlimited Canada, sometimes by ourselves, but always to protect habitat for wildlife and for the people of Alberta to enjoy. It is open to access for hunting, fishing or just picking berries to everyone. As part of the purchase, a percentage of the funds are set aside to provide for the maintenece of the land, signs, fences etc as well as to cover future taxes. Even if we were to purchase lands with gov funds we are able to ensure that these lands will always be open to Albertans by having our name on title. So, it can be done without turning conserved land over to the gov. In a nutshell, that is the model we work with.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Tim_in_Nv
Sorry to hijack guys, but "what if" the State's right to manage wildlife were taken from them by the fed. gov't? What would happen to the ability to hunt on public land? Tim.

You mean like with waterfowl?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by troutfly
So, it can be done without turning conserved land over to the gov.

Sure it can. I believe the RMEF conserves more land by working with private owners to place conservation easements than by acquiring land and turning it over to the government. And the owners get a tax break. One more tool in the toolbox.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
No, I think the states still set the season dates (within the fed. guidelines), and enforce game laws related to waterfall. I was thinking more along the lines of: the fed. gov't. decides it doesn't like how individual states manage certain big game animals, and decides it wants to manage them and enforce "their" game laws. This is hypothetical, and understand that I realize this is highly unlikely. But, If that were the case, could our ability to hunt on gov't. land be impacted? Could the BLM or USFS use regulatory changes to allow absolutely no mechanical devices in a wilderness or wilderness study area? Not only bikes, game carts, and hang-gliders, but electric razors, gps, radios, archery equipment, and firearms? By the way, I renewed with RMEF last year, and went to Elk Camp again this year. I skipped a few years because of their stance (or lack of one) on the wolf issue. Tim.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by sundles
Any more relevant that this?

Yeah, you're right, that was irrelevant. But how about these, you 've side-stepped all the questions I've asked or points I've made. If you want to talk relevancy, then answer a direct question. If you can. I'm betting you can't:

So here's a question, see if you can answer it--how much land that RMEF has acquired and turned over to the government is now unavailable for public hunting?

So I'll ask another question: Where do you spend most of your hunting time, public (federally-managed) or private land?

If the answer is public land, how do you reconcile that with your opinions stated here?

Please don't say you've responded to the second question, because you haven't. In order to respond, you'd need to reconcile your contempt for "government-controlled" public lands with your tendency to spend most of your hunting time on those same lands. Good luck. Maybe you should consult Webster's, under "hypocrite."

I've been busy the last several days and have not been able to spend time on this thread, but in closing, I'm going to risk the spending/wasting of valuable time, once again and then I'm done.

What I find most telling about both questions you asked above, is that I gave full answers to them, but I have long observed that certain types of people simply are not capable of HEARING/ACCEPTING answers that don't fit for them. I noticed this trend with you and Pointer and several others over 7 years ago on the Kifaru site. It is as if there is no point in telling your point of view, as certain folks can't believe or understand or accept a point of view so different from thiers. I'm too old and too settled to feel the need to weasel around with my answers, so what I told you before, when I answered these questions was actually the real me. I don't know if you are simply so disingenuous that you cannot accept those answers as being genuine, from my point of veiw, or if your other personality/mind sets are such that you just can't see what another human may see? I honestly don't know, but once I've answered and you continue to say I have not answered and you keep asking the same question over and over, I have to realize that precious time is being wasted. Disagreement and debate on issues is fine and is part of what brings about learning, but when a person tells you what they really think, at least be courteous enough to accept that even though you may disagree in principle, that person gave you thier genuine answer. So, while the discussion may be a futile attempt, at least it is done respectfully and is based on principles of decency.

Last edited by sundles; 03/08/11.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What I find most telling about both questions you asked above, is that I gave full answers to them, but I have long observed that certain types of people simply are not capable of HEARING/ACCEPTING answers that don't fit for them.

What I find most telling is that you can say with a straight face that you answered this question:

So here's a question, see if you can answer it--how much land that RMEF has acquired and turned over to the government is now unavailable for public hunting?

I must've missed it, can you point out your answer to me? As a matter of fact, I think you said you didn't have time to answer. But now you've provided "full answers." Priceless.

And as far as this little gem:

So, while the discussion may be a futile attempt, at least it is done respectfully and is based on principles of decency.

Do you really believe that what you said earlier about pointer and I being a "tag team," and your comment on how it was a funny coincidence that we showed up at the same time was "done respectfully and based on the principles of decency?"

Because I thought it was a rather snide mis-representation of the truth:

I recall you and pointer being a tag team on the old Kifaru site as well. Imagine the odds, you both showed up at the same time on this thread. Take care.

It's also utter nonsense. I don't know pointer, never met the man, never corresponded with him on this subject or anything of the kind. I can't even remember the last time he posted something over on the Kifaru site.

You led with your chin by staking out an obviously hypocritical position, and we both called you on it. It was an obvious question that we both asked, that's all there is to it.

No need to whine about it, cast aspersions, and then try to stake out the moral high ground by throwing out "decency" and "respect." You done blown right by both.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Tim_in_Nv
Could the BLM or USFS use regulatory changes to allow absolutely no mechanical devices in a wilderness or wilderness study area? Not only bikes, game carts, and hang-gliders, but electric razors, gps, radios, archery equipment, and firearms? By the way, I renewed with RMEF last year, and went to Elk Camp again this year. I skipped a few years because of their stance (or lack of one) on the wolf issue. Tim.

Well, they already ban vehicles, bikes, etc., in roadless and wilderness areas, and since it's a hypothetical question, I'd have to say anything is possible.

I'd be willing to bet money it won't happen though. Besides hunters, there are all kinds of wilderness users who use stuff like GPSs--hikers, fishermen, bird-watchers, etc. Outfitters and others who make their living off guiding hunters in wilderness areas would be against it, and it would absolutely crater rural economies in areas that depend on visiting hunters. So I just don't see it happening.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
What I find most telling about both questions you asked above, is that I gave full answers to them, but I have long observed that certain types of people simply are not capable of HEARING/ACCEPTING answers that don't fit for them.

What I find most telling is that you can say with a straight face that you answered this question:

I must've missed it, can you point out your answer to me? As a matter of fact, I think you said you didn't have time to answer. But now you've provided "full answers." Priceless.

And as far as this little gem:

So, while the discussion may be a futile attempt, at least it is done respectfully and is based on principles of decency.

Do you really believe that what you said earlier about pointer and I being a "tag team," and your comment on how it was a funny coincidence that we showed up at the same time was "done respectfully and based on the principles of decency?"

Because I thought it was a rather snide mis-representation of the truth:

I recall you and pointer being a tag team on the old Kifaru site as well. Imagine the odds, you both showed up at the same time on this thread. Take care.

It's also utter nonsense. I don't know pointer, never met the man, never corresponded with him on this subject or anything of the kind. I can't even remember the last time he posted something over on the Kifaru site.

You led with your chin by staking out an obviously hypocritical position, and we both called you on it. It was an obvious question that we both asked, that's all there is to it.

No need to whine about it, cast aspersions, and then try to stake out the moral high ground by throwing out "decency" and "respect." You done blown right by both.

Like I wrote/said................

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Did you find that answer yet, I'd like to read it and see what I missed.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Did you find that answer yet, I'd like to read it and see what I missed.

I gave you my answer once. Go back, find it and put it in quotes in context here again and it will still be my answer. I could repeat this a thousand times and you wouldnt get it, but my answer simply is not an answer you like or are willing or are capable of accepting, but is was/is my honest answer to that question, period. i.e. I am not going to spend hours of my time researching ANYTHING in order to answer your questions. GET IT? My time is more valuable than you are and I don't really care if you get used to that concept. I could come on here and ask you questions that would take days of research for you to find answers to, but alas I simply am not the kind of guy that does that to other poeple and then chides them cause they are not willing to do research for hours. DUH. Such a baffling concept for you.............

Further, (I explained this before too) whether or not the public is still being allowed on public lands, whether those lands came through RMEF or not, is still not my main issue with RMEF turning over lands to various govt agencies. Nor is it my main issue with RMEF and thier past stance on wolves........

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I gave you my answer once. Go back, find it and put it in quotes in context here again and it will still be my answer.

OK, I did that, and here is your "answer:"

Folks ask questions on here (like you did about RMEF aquired land ever becoming closed to the public) and then think that because you didnt spend a whole day doing reasearch in order to give an exhaustive answer, that you could not answer----however, with me it is a matter of time--not having enough and not caring enough to spend hours of reasearch to answer a question it took 30 seconds to type.........

So, I guess it's like Bill Clinton, all depends on what your definition of "answer" is.

I guess my problem is, when people say stuff that doesn't look right to me, such as "the RMEF transfers land to the government and it can then become unavialable for hunting" (that's paraphrased) I want to know what their contention is based on--facts or something else.

If you don't have the facts, just say so, it's not rocket science.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From the RMEF Lands FAQ page:

Q: CAN THE PUBLIC RECREATE AND HUNT ON LANDS ACQUIRED BY THE ELK FOUNDATION?
A: In general, lands the Elk Foundation acquires are open to the public until they are conveyed to a public agency or other entity. After that, as with the case of a public agency, these lands often remain open for public access. The Elk Foundation supports recreational uses that are compatible with maintaining high-quality habitat and healthy wildlife populations. Although sometimes restricted to non-motorized use, access includes such activities as hunting, fishing, hiking, horseback riding and photography. There are exceptions: based on wildlife populations, some states may limit hunting or not even hold a season.

Q: AFTER THE ELK FOUNDATION TRANSFERS OWNERSHIP TO THE USFS DOES IT MAINTAIN THE RIGHT TO PLAY A ROLE IN DETERMINING THE MANAGEMENT POLICIES ON THAT LAND?
A: Generally yes, when the Elk Foundation transfers ownership of a land parcel to the USFS it does so with the belief and trust that the parcel will be managed with an emphasis for wildlife. After the USFS assumes ownership of a land parcel, the Elk Foundation theoretically has only as much leverage as any other member of the general public in determining management policies. However, given the history and strength of our long-standing partnership with the USFS, we will provide valuable input into management decisions whenever possible.

The Elk Foundation also has the opportunity to influence management policies through the NEPA process. The Elk Foundation may submit comments on proposed management policies on specific parcels, and we fully intend to continue to take an active role in that process whenever possible.

Last edited by mudhen; 03/08/11.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I gave you my answer once. Go back, find it and put it in quotes in context here again and it will still be my answer.

OK, I did that, and here is your "answer:"

Folks ask questions on here (like you did about RMEF aquired land ever becoming closed to the public) and then think that because you didnt spend a whole day doing reasearch in order to give an exhaustive answer, that you could not answer----however, with me it is a matter of time--not having enough and not caring enough to spend hours of reasearch to answer a question it took 30 seconds to type.........

So, I guess it's like Bill Clinton, all depends on what your definition of "answer" is.

I guess my problem is, when people say stuff that doesn't look right to me, such as "the RMEF transfers land to the government and it can then become unavialable for hunting" (that's paraphrased) I want to know what their contention is based on--facts or something else.

If you don't have the facts, just say so, it's not rocket science.

I've been posting here, that I did not have those facts, have I not? Nor do I care to do the research to come up with said facts--I've repeated that too, over and over. You are the one who continues to go on and on and on about it as if you are puzzled by a very simple thing, no? I would have the same opinion of turning over private lands to govt, regardless of the RMEF track record (facts)THUS FAR.......I've also stated that I don't believe in turning more and more and more of anything that is private, over to govt managment or ownership. That is my opinion and I certainly don't need to do a bunch of research to back up said opinion, especially for you.

My other issue with RMEF is that they absolutely supported the federal wolf dumping program for many years. I don't need to research that issue to support my opinion either--if you don't like my opinion, go do your own research and post it here. I wont care either way as i know what went on with RMEF supporting wolf dumping.

Other things you say are amazing. You stated I led with my chin on the issue of you and Pointer potentially being a "tag" team. No matter what you or pointer have to say about any possible mutual association, this is the internet and I have no idea about the veracity of such, yet you go on and on claiming some sort of victory? All I know is that you, Pointer and Tim in Nev. all posted in this thread on the same day and I have not had correspondence with any of you since the Kifaru days of at least 6 years ago--what are the odds??? I really dont care nor do I know, but you just keep running your mouth as if you have proven some point--good grief. From what I can see by this thread you have not changed any of your tactics from many years ago. Continual assumptive badgering has been your calling card since I've been dealing with you. Is all this worth anything, especially in light of how valuable time is?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by mudhen
From the RMEF Lands FAQ page:

Q: CAN THE PUBLIC RECREATE AND HUNT ON LANDS ACQUIRED BY THE ELK FOUNDATION?
A: In general, lands the Elk Foundation acquires are open to the public until they are conveyed to a public agency or other entity. After that, as with the case of a public agency, these lands often remain open for public access. The Elk Foundation supports recreational uses that are compatible with maintaining high-quality habitat and healthy wildlife populations. Although sometimes restricted to non-motorized use, access includes such activities as hunting, fishing, hiking, horseback riding and photography. There are exceptions: based on wildlife populations, some states may limit hunting or not even hold a season.

Q: AFTER THE ELK FOUNDATION TRANSFERS OWNERSHIP TO THE USFS DOES IT MAINTAIN THE RIGHT TO PLAY A ROLE IN DETERMINING THE MANAGEMENT POLICIES ON THAT LAND?
A: Generally yes, when the Elk Foundation transfers ownership of a land parcel to the USFS it does so with the belief and trust that the parcel will be managed with an emphasis for wildlife. After the USFS assumes ownership of a land parcel, the Elk Foundation theoretically has only as much leverage as any other member of the general public in determining management policies. However, given the history and strength of our long-standing partnership with the USFS, we will provide valuable input into management decisions whenever possible.

The Elk Foundation also has the opportunity to influence management policies through the NEPA process. The Elk Foundation may submit comments on proposed management policies on specific parcels, and we fully intend to continue to take an active role in that process whenever possible.

There you have it. No guarantees what-so-ever about what will be allowed or not allowed for what period of time, on govt lands obtained through RMEF. This does not change my opinion one bit, but it is interesting to read.

If you want to keep losing your freedom by increment, just keep putting more and more of anything into govt control. Keep giving money to RMEF and they will keep turning over lands to the govt----have at it. I for one, will go another direction.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I for one, will go another direction.

And which direction is that?

Ben

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
..... but in closing, I'm going to risk the spending/wasting of valuable time, once again and then I'm done.

Well, when you said it, I didn't think you'd stick to it.

I've also stated that I don't believe in turning more and more and more of anything that is private, over to govt managment or ownership. That is my opinion and I certainly don't need to do a bunch of research to back up said opinion, especially for you.

100%, absolutely correct. You don't need to have any back-up to have an opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.

But like you said earlier, this is a forum where we debate things. And if I'm debating something in a public forum that's important to me, like habitat conservation and public land policy, and someone such as yourself outlines an opinion in that debate that I don't agree with and believe is unsupported, I'll damn well ask for the evidence or facts to back up that opinion.

Are you here to tell me that asking the question is out of line?

In my opinion, it's not out of line to ask for facts to back up stated opinions. If for no other reason than to show that the opinion is unsupported so that anyone reading this who may be on the fence can see it's unsupported and make up their own minds. After all, this is a debate, right? And people use facts in debates, right?

Other things you say are amazing. You stated I led with my chin on the issue of you and Pointer potentially being a "tag" team.

No, that's not what I said at all. I'll explain it for you. The comment about "leading with your chin" was in reference to your apparently conflicting (some may say hypocritical) positions of on the one hand maintaining that putting land in control of the federal government is a bad thing, and on the other hand saying that you spend most of your time hunting on those very same lands. The unstated fact being that if those lands were private, instead of publicly-controlled, it's more likely than not that you wouldn't have access to them. So whether you realize it or not, the federal government controlling the NF lands you hunt on has been and will continue to be a benefit to you.

That's what I meant by "leading with your chin"--holding conflicting positions that lead to the obvious question of how you can reconcile the two.

Meaning, it should come as no surprise that two different people reading this would have the same question, and that there's no "conspiracy" involved. Now I see that you've added Tim in Nevada, I suppose the conspiracy is growing.

You see an "internet conspiracy" among three guys that don't even know each other, but it's the things I say that are amazing?

That's rich.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
..... but in closing, I'm going to risk the spending/wasting of valuable time, once again and then I'm done.

Well, when you said it, I didn't think you'd stick to it.

I've also stated that I don't believe in turning more and more and more of anything that is private, over to govt managment or ownership. That is my opinion and I certainly don't need to do a bunch of research to back up said opinion, especially for you.

100%, absolutely correct. You don't need to have any back-up to have an opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.

But like you said earlier, this is a forum where we debate things. And if I'm debating something in a public forum that's important to me, like habitat conservation and public land policy, and someone such as yourself outlines an opinion in that debate that I don't agree with and believe is unsupported, I'll damn well ask for the evidence or facts to back up that opinion.

Are you here to tell me that asking the question is out of line?

In my opinion, it's not out of line to ask for facts to back up stated opinions. If for no other reason than to show that the opinion is unsupported so that anyone reading this who may be on the fence can see it's unsupported and make up their own minds. After all, this is a debate, right? And people use facts in debates, right?

Other things you say are amazing. You stated I led with my chin on the issue of you and Pointer potentially being a "tag" team.

No, that's not what I said at all. I'll explain it for you. The comment about "leading with your chin" was in reference to your apparently conflicting (some may say hypocritical) positions of on the one hand maintaining that putting land in control of the federal government is a bad thing, and on the other hand saying that you spend most of your time hunting on those very same lands. The unstated fact being that if those lands were private, instead of publicly-controlled, it's more likely than not that you wouldn't have access to them. So whether you realize it or not, the federal government controlling the NF lands you hunt on has been and will continue to be a benefit to you.

That's what I meant by "leading with your chin"--holding conflicting positions that lead to the obvious question of how you can reconcile the two.

Meaning, it should come as no surprise that two different people reading this would have the same question, and that there's no "conspiracy" involved. Now I see that you've added Tim in Nevada, I suppose the conspiracy is growing.

You see an "internet conspiracy" among three guys that don't even know each other, but it's the things I say that are amazing?

That's rich.

Just like other issues here, that you finally admit are not "Rocket Science", I gave you my answer about my use of "public" lands, (twice) but I see you can't get the straight forward simplicity of the answer. I'm not giving that answer a third futile time here. It was genuine the first two times I gave it and repeating it yet again, wont make it any more so, nor will it YET likely open your eyes/brain.

I did not say anything about any "internet conspiracy". Those are your words, (yet you try to make them mine) but the odds of being struck by lightening or having three guys you have not dealt with for 6 years, since the last time the same topics were being addressed in a far different forum, all show up at the same time in a totally different forum is pretty slim, uh, make that extremely slim, so only an idiot would not notice such an occassion, but I have no definitive idea what is really going on if anything. However, the fact that some one of your character keeps making an issue of it, tells me I ought to be more willing to believe what the extreme odds dictate, versus the stuff you are saying.......

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

Away from RMEF, whom at one time, when I was more naive, I held in some esteem.

I'm not giving any money or property to any entity that turns around and donates it to govt agnecies.

The fact the RMEF says that govt agencies will hopefully listen to RMEF input on land use, gives me no comfort either as RMEF could not have been more in the wrong while they were endorsing wolf dumping. The RMEF and thier government partners are all in the boiling pot together.............at least they are on multi million dollar land deals and they were on wolf dumping. Too similar for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Away from RMEF, whom at one time, when I was more naive, I held in some esteem.

I'm not giving any money or property to any entity that turns around and donates it to govt agnecies.

Always good to have a plan...

Ben

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Well, I guess when you have nothing else to say, it's OK to abandon your principles that you espoused, what, was it yesterday? And attack my character:

However, the fact that some one of your character keeps making an issue of it.......

A wise man once told me that character attacks reflect more on the one making them than the one being attacked.

This was a classic though, and all in the same paragraph. You just can't make this stuff up:

I did not say anything about any "internet conspiracy". Those are your words, (yet you try to make them mine) but the odds of being struck by lightening or having three guys you have not dealt with for 6 years, since the last time the same topics were being addressed in a far different forum, all show up at the same time in a totally different forum is pretty slim, uh, make that extremely slim, so only an idiot would not notice.....

So you didn't say it was a conspiracy, you just think we're all in cahoots, do I have that right?

Well, pointer and Tim in Nevada, the jig is up, we'd better come clean.

Only an idiot would not notice how we carefully coordinated these internet postings.......wait a minute, I think Tim in Nevada was questioning the wisdom of federal control, just like Sundles was??

Damn, a double agent!!! Pointer, we've been out-conspiracied!!!!!

I'll be out of town for a few days, but I'll check back in this weekend. For the entertainment value if nothing else.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1234, 1minute, 160user, 10Glocks, 16penny, 53 invisible), 2,414 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,529
Posts18,472,680
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.