Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
New to PD shooting and am going out this weekend, with some lines on some private land areas to hunt.

What is proper courtesy after you shoot a town, leave the carcasses lay for the coyotes and hawks, or clean up the mess a little in case the owners might object?

Last edited by ducttape; 03/09/11.
GB1

J
J
Nature will clean up the battlefield overnight in most areas. It is amazing how nothing goes to waste. But if you mention it to your landowners, do as they wish. Good shooting.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Plus one on asking the Land Owner what he wants you to do.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Yep. Most won't care and indeed we have more often than not had a retinue of raptors follwing us...they take care of it in a hurry...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I don't have an answer to your question. I just wanted to say "good on you for wanting to do right". miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Dats a BIG +1

Anytime, anyplace we are shooting on private land, whatever the land owner says, goes....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Thanks for the responses folks. I was actually a little reluctant to ask expecting to get some grief about this.

Last edited by ducttape; 03/10/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just a quick note - Prairie dogs carry the plague. Were it me and the landowner wanted me to pick up the carcasses, I would shoot somewhere else. As has been said, you can come back in a few hours and not see much left for carcasses - In a day's time nothing at all to speak of.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Thx I'm aware of that, we see it around here fairly frequently and had a case of pneumonic plague in our ER a while back, not sure of details. Was planning on taking a shovel or something if necessary.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by milespatton
I don't have an answer to your question. I just wanted to say "good on you for wanting to do right". miles

+1!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

ducttape Good on you, if more so called hunters adopted your attitude. There would be less no trespassing & no hunting signs.
Keep up the good work. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Asking the landowner will gain you style points.
I would guess it depends on how close their house is to the dogtown.
I had a rancher ask me to kick them back into the hole, because his dog would go out there and eat until he got sick.
Between the badgers, eagles, and coyotes, It isn't usually an issue IMO.
Make sure you ask him about gates! The location of his livestock is important too.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
when it comes to gates on any property , leave them the way you find them

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have never hunted PDs, but when crow and woodchuck
hunting landowners have me and my friends not to use
large rifles when close to to their houses. Didnt like
the noise.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I shoot gophers in Central Montana, the farmers are so happy to see me shooting them, they just want them dead. (Dead gophers eat no wheat) And I was very surprised to see Sea Gulls flying in to feed on the still warm carcasses. Coming back to the same area the next day, you won't find any evidence of the previous days kills. Probably the Gulls, hawks, eagles, badgers, and coyotes doing nature's cleanup.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Take the time to "visit" the landowner if he or she wants a visit. The point here is to establish a friendship.
And it's always good to report back how well you did and how much fun you had, even if the shooting was less than stellar. Leave a nice note with your contact information if they are not home.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I usually leave a bottle of Jack Daniels with the landowner. I get invited back quite often.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
+1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I agree with everyone above in asking the landowner.....i would phrase the question around "Do you or your wife have any objections if I just leave the dead prairie dogs in the colony?"

Every so often I come across a landowner's wife who doesn't want to come across dead critter bodies.....even tho predators will likely clean up the prairie dogs quickly.

And don't forget to ask the landowner if you can also call the coyotes. Use that dog colony as a little dog bone yard. Coyotes are opportunistic......you be the same!

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by doubletap
I usually leave a bottle of Jack Daniels with the landowner. I get invited back quite often.

For our Kansas pheasant contacts we take Honey cured hams or turkeys every year. The alcohol option backfired for us once a few years ago.

Good advice from all above. We had some good shooting and are going back this weekend. No one asked us to clean up. I actually had some neighbors who were visiting ask me to come to their places too to help shoot out their dogs. The down side is most of these folks are planning to put out poison later this spring.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1badf350, 2500HD, 1941USMC, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 54 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,901
Posts18,518,483
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.