Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
My brother in law has a .222 Magnum and wants to use it on deer now that it is legal in Minnesota. None of us has any experience with .22 centerfire on deer.
What kind of performance can he expect out of factory ammo.
He doesn't reload. Deer normally don't exceed 200 lbs very often around here because of the hunting pressure.
We have had bad experiences with .243 in our hunting party in the past so I am skeptical. ( Of course we have had bad experience with 30-06 due to crappy shooting) grin
Let's hear it!
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Of course it will kill them,good idea? NO I think a decent deer rifle starts at .243 and goes up from there.

1 and done
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
TSX's, Nosler PT, 70 gr. Speer are where I'd start. I've shot them in the neck, high shoulder and ribs. My fav is the high shoulder or lungs. Over the years I've killed more than 50 deer with 22 cf's with nary a lost animal.

I know its not for everyone, but it works as well as anything else for me. Have fun with it.

222 RM is one I havent jacked a deer with, may have to change that.

Joseph

Joseph
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I too would not recommend using that .222Mag on deer! NOT for a novice or beginner.

And why was the .30/06 a bad expereince? Because of the recoil? Why not use a .243 if that was the case? Or a .30/30?

Actually your BIL's best bet is if one of the more experienced hunters in your party took (BIL) under his wing and coached him on his first deer hunt/deer kill.

Twas me I'd try to put BIL in a ground or tree blind, and help the guy just fill that first tag. Huge learning curve there. If your BIL indeed got bitten by the hunting-bug, he'd be well on his way to being 'experienced' after that first buck.

A .30/06 is a 'big round' to most folks unfamiliar with shooting or that particular round, but behind the .30-30 the .30/06 is the SECOND-MOST POPULAR big game cartridge used in America - according to ammo sales.

That .222Mag "will kill deer," but I'd be extremely apprehensive if I was a member of your deer camp that you BIL has the patience or discipline to pick [only] the right shots! And the deer "cooperating" and presenting that perfect broadside shot is a "big IF" too!

A .30-30 or .243 is plenty powerful and more likely to dispatch a deer even if the shot isn't perfect.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
okiebowhunter,
He uses factory ammo and doesn't reload. He also travels a lot and so doesn't have much time to practice with the rifle either.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by okiebowhunter
TSX's, Nosler PT, 70 gr. Speer are where I'd start. I've shot them in the neck, high shoulder and ribs. My fav is the high shoulder or lungs. Over the years I've killed more than 50 deer with 22 cf's with nary a lost animal.

I know its not for everyone, but it works as well as anything else for me. Have fun with it.

222 RM is one I havent jacked a deer with, may have to change that.

The bullets you mentioned OBH, would certainly work fine - except the brother-in-law IS NOT a reloader!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
He uses factory ammo and doesn't reload.

Can you get ammo loaded with anything but a varmint bullet?

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
That is kind of what I am leading up to. I wonder how many guys like my BIL are going to try to use varmint bullets on deer?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Do your best to discourage him from trying it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Last I checked (in 2005, I think), Hirtenberger was the only brand of factory ammo in .222 Rem Mag being produced. They only offered 3 different 55 grain loads: a 55 Nosler SP, a 55 Sierra SP and a 55 Nosler BT, none of which I would recommend for deer. Unless he wants to take up reloading, he should stick with his old reliable deer rifles.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by mathman
He uses factory ammo and doesn't reload.

Can you get ammo loaded with anything but a varmint bullet?

I don't believe so...leave the .222Mag at home...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I think it really depends on two things:
1) Having a good bullet
2) If the terrain has excellent visibility so you can watch the deer run off and collapse in case of a poor blood trail.

Where I hunt it is SUPER dense and thick, I would not use that small of caliber in case of a poor shot. What happens if the deer of a lifetime walks out at 300 yards and doesn't give a nice broadside shot? We all know we SHOULDN'T take the shot but let's face it some people will, especially those who have never harvested a big mature buck. So, now...would that shooter be better off with a .222 or a .300WM ?

I saw a 15yr old shoot his first deer last year with a .223 and he hit it in the rear end/hip area. Specs of blood into a DENSE thicket....after 5 guys searched for 30 minutes we finally located it to finish it off. Had he shot it with a "Powerful" gun the blood trail may have been better and the deer would have suffered less.

Unless experienced I think the smallest a novice should go is .270 or .308

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I saw a 15yr old shoot his first deer last year with a .223 and he hit it in the rear end/hip area.

Bullet?

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I do know its damnfine on decent sized hogs.......with a good bullet.

I might know someone in Iowa who can hook you up with some new cases and bullets with grandois margins of error...... whistle

I'd trade our rifled slugs, sabots and schit for my 222 Magnum and loads not made for gophers any day our DNR gets the sand out!!! grin

Last edited by HawkI; 03/10/11.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Funny that the 223 on deer is the best deer round since sliced bread, but a 222 mag wont work...

Billy

Turn em loose ...
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Chaser
Funny that the 223 on deer is the best deer round since sliced bread, but a 222 mag wont work...

Billy

Restricting it to available factory ammo is the issue here. He'd be fine if he would hand load a stout heavy for caliber bullet.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
What bullets can you still get in .222 mag. factory loads ? Geeze, I didn't even know anybody was still loading them at all ! Some so called "varmint" bullets work pretty damned good on deer. I killed a bunch with win. and Hornady, 55 gr. sp's out of a .223 for example. My point is, don't discount all of the so called varmint bullets cuz some are alot tougher than you'd think.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Where in MN is he? Habisch outdoors in Winstead does some custom reloading. Looks like John in Gunstop in Glen Lake is set up for it too, but I'm not sure if he does it or not.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blackheart
What bullets can you still get in .222 mag. factory loads ? Geeze, I didn't even know anybody was still loading them at all ! Some so called "varmint" bullets work pretty damned good on deer. I killed a bunch with win. and Hornady, 55 gr. sp's out of a .223 for example. My point is, don't discount all of the so called varmint bullets cuz some are alot tougher than you'd think.

You may be right, but he doesn't reload, he doesn't shoot much, and there ain't many choices in factory ammo for the 222RM. How would he ever KNOW if those particular varmint bullets are "tough"?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Start using a 25-06 or 270 I killed deer with 223 quick when in the head . These 25-06s 270s make more sence

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

62 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 907brass, 11 invisible), 1,462 guests, and 758 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.