Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Call Atchesons and tell them what you want. Don't put it off if you are serious.
I've known them for a long time.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Calvin
I still don't get why someone would pay the booking agent, instead of the outfitter. Aren't you just asking for trouble? I say pay a deposit to the outfitter, and pay in full when you are there and everything is good and you are going hunting.

Calvin
You have to already have an outfitter lined up to do that. I was living in Germany and wanted to hunt in BC for animals that would not be found in the same area. Instead of me trying to track down all the info and just going off what they sound like on the phone, it was easier to call keith and tell hm what I was looking for. He had hunted with everyone he recommended and knew first hand what the outfitters were like. Thats better than me just randomly picking one. Even 10 years ago most outfitters didn't have websites so just getting the info was sometimes difficult.

Also, with Atcheson the money aspect is safer. You pay Atcheson the same amount. If the outfitter cancels, you get the money back from Atcheson. Good luck getting money from some of the outfitters in the business.

I now have met many of the outfitters in BC and the Yukon, and know quite a few guides that work for several of them. I can just ask around and find the info I need. 10-15 years ago I couldn't do that.

I'll still use Atcheson if planning a hunt out of the US or Canada, although it may be a long while before that happens again.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Not sure how they got my cell #, but they have been calling me like a siding/window salesman....Not impressing me too much

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
There is a place in the market for booking agents. I had a part time business for a number of years. There are many hunters that go on guided hunts each year. This type of hunter frequently looks for the best of the best & is willing to pay. Also, many hunters don't have the time or interest to research hunts. Most booking agents are honest & make an average income doing what they enjoy. I'm an engineer & when I totaled up the phone & fax expense (before email), advertising, show expense, & time expended it simply wasn't worth it to continue to book hunts. Then there are the hunters that have a great hunt & take their friends next year & book direct. There are few loyalties. Blair has been around a long time & as far as I know operates a legitimate business. There are two sides two most issues. When a booking agent spends time setting up a hunt & has incurred all the associated cost its difficult to give back the measly little 10% commission. I'm not defending Blair, but pointing out what a difficult business he is in. I had some few hunters complain about not shooting an animal & others that blamed every part they didn't like about a trip on the booking agent. I once had 2 hunters in Canada that refused to attend the outfitters meeting on getting most of the GAT back when leaving the country. Later they expected me to file on their behalf or just return the tax. I could relate some interesting stories. Basically, its a difficult business & many hunters don't read contracts or even think to obtain one until a problem develops. Then everyone else is at fault. AS MD posted trip insurance is cheap. If one is really screwed & an SCI member then its time to file a grievance. I have been a part of a number of these when a board member of SCI & if legitimate they usually obtain a settlement.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Tbear,

I'm sorry but the correlation you're trying to make is way off. Sort of the difference between someone getting yelled at and another shot.

First off, you thought you could make a buck doing this part time. Blair has a staff. He's bought email lists and has his people making outbound calls. Not exactly a part time operation.

He sells $70,000 hunts. That's not part time stuff. That's a home run.

This person who got scammed wasn't complaining about a 2 or 3% VAT tax on a $15k hunt.

Blair was using an outfitter with a widely known history of questionable behavior -
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...rry_Heathington_AZ_Sheep_Gui#Post3312030

Why would Blair give ALL the money so far in advance to someone like this? Why would he use his services to begin with??

Me thinks it's maximizing profits at the risk/expense of the client/hunter and should it not work out then have a contract spelling out how it's the client/hunter who is at fault/loses.

The guys on AR have asked Blair to come on board to explain the situation and so far - deafening silence.

You decide

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is the email that I sent to Blair Worldwide hunting...

Jeff,

I am concerned about some recent accusations leveled against you on various websites. They are very serious and would like to hear your side of the story before I form an opinion

I am quite sure you are aware of the thread over on Accurate Reloading but just in case your not aware here is a link

http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/3471078051/p/1

There are a number of red flags that pop up but I dont want to talk about Larry Heathington or his issues, although I do find it disturbing that a booking agent would actually take another $35,000 in December of 2009, two months after Heathingtons issues in September of 2009.

What disturbs me the most is that you have not refunded your "commission". The people that booked this hunt trusted you to find them a Desert Sheep hunt for their father and based on your recommendation they are out $70,000. Jeff, how are you entitled to a commission? Please help me understand this because from the one side of the story I have heard your just as bad, if not worse, that Larry Heathington. It was also brought up that you added an extra $10,000 to the cost of the hunt to pocket for yourself. That sounds about right as the going rate for sheep is between $45,000 and $60,000, maybe a little less now due to the economy. The ranch where I have guided for Desert Sheep was $60,000 and that was one of the more expensive ranches on the mainland of Sonora.

Again, why are you entitled to keep the extra $10,000+commission from this disaster that you booked for this family? The service that was supposed to be provided by both you and Larry Heathington was NEVER provided.

In looking at your website there are a few things that stand out to me, you claim that "no detail is left to chance" and that "there are NO gambles when you book with Blair WorldWide Hunting". If this were true it seems like you would be using all of your rescources and experience to not only refund the money that you pocketed but doing everything within your power to assist your clients in getting the rest of their money refunded from Larry Heathington. Why dont you refund the money and then go after Heathington on your own? That is what I would do, even if I knew I would never receive a penny from the man

There is a quote that I have remembered over the years and its this; "When a company or an individual compromises one time, whether it's on price or principle, the next compromise is right around the corner". It seems that you have comprimised on both price and principle in this matter. They say everybody has a price, from what I've read so far yours is less that $20,000

Jeff, I look forward to hearing your side of the story, as somebody that has been in this industry for 20 years I am really hoping that you have a valid reason for not refunding the money you have pocketed. If I dont get a response or if there is no reason for not refunding the money to this family I will email a link to the Accurate Reloading thread to everybody in my address book and ask them to email it to everybody in their address book.

I look forward to hearing back from you shortly

Drummond Lindsey

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
tic toc, tic toc....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And the reply was?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kenneth
And the reply was?

Have not received a reply as of yet. *crickets*

I will give them until tomorrow evening before I send an email with a copy of my email to Blair, the link to the websites and the fact that he has yet to respond to every contact in my address book. I will also ask all of the recepients of my email to forward it to their contacts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Blair has posted a reply on the Africa forum here on 24hr as well as over on AR.

If you guys want to see what career suicide looks like you should check it out. I would encourage everybody to tell their friends and fellow sportsman about this guy. If you really want to drive the point home about how much of a butthole this guy really is all you need to do is read his post to them

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One thing I noticed on the AR thread (and some of the stories here) is that apparently many people never bother to buy trip insurance, even when shelling out tens of thousands of dollars. Trip insurance is cheap, and covers you when things go south.

It also appears that quite a few people don't read the contract they sign with a booking agent or outfitter.

John,

I noticed you have not yet condemned this guy's ethics. Trip insurance might not be the holy grail you think it is. If the insurer thinks there was fraud, I would not be surprised that they would not honor a claim. I buy it, but I sure don't think it will protect me in all circumstances.

What is so hard about saying Jeff Blair is someone we should all steer clear of? Do you think it is right Blair kept his commission for a hunt he didn't deliver?

From 30,000 feet, you seem to be his biggest fan here.

Last edited by LRNut; 03/10/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i had trip insurance.
they wouldn't pay because blair said they couldn't fill my spot, so i got stuck paying for the trip that i couldn't go on.

end of story, no 4500 bucks back, no refund for the trip insurance, some of my airfare back, and not even a kiss after betting butt [bleep].

so, yeah, i won't ever do that again.....

or ever use blair.

he kept 4500 bucks and most likely someone did hunt my week, and he go paid for it, plus my money.

have no proof, can't even remember who the guy in africa was now.
been probably 7 years ago now.

sooo, i've chocked it up to bad luck, and moved on til this thread came up.

can anything be done now ?
most likely no.

oh well, life went on...

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Heathington replied on Accurate Reloading:

Well I am not a messanger boy and since my name is getting bandied about by people that have few or no facts "I will simply set the Record straight" My Name is Larry Heathington and I have guided both Desert Sheep and Rocky Mountains for over 30 years. This whole thing started way before the incident in 2009 as I have know Jeff and Audra Blair for almost the entire time I guided them. They are Arizonan's as am I and they were there watching the requested due Diligence as it was created. I guided for more than Sheep obviously but specialized in Deserts to the tune of well over 100 plus a good many Rocky Mountains as well having taken Boone and Crockett Rams in both catagories. Including the number 2 and 4 Deserts ever taken in Arizona. I also guided 10 past Presidents of SCI ( Keller, Pocuis, Cheremie) to other exotic species from Coues Deer to Tule Elk.
I will do this in a more or less cronological order so it can be followed more closely. In September of 2009 I was headed to New Mexico to guide 3 not two hunters on the State Landowner permits for Antelope. I pulled off at a non rest stop exit to go to the bathroom and subsequently was knocked unconcious by an assailant that came out of the bushes while I was being distracted by his partner. They stole some stuff out of my Pickup truck ( tent, stove etc) kicked the hell out of me and then left. I thought Thank God at the time but given recent developments I am not so sure. All of this is well documented in a Police report that was filed in Williams,Arizona as are the photograph's of my injuries which were significant (Major bruising ,Lacerated Cheek, Concussion etc) After I woke up I got in my Pickup and drove down the road a piece pulled over and passed out again and then the next day made it to a Hotel where I slept which is not good idea with a concussion but I was extremely disoriented , tired and did not call anyone immediately. But began notifying people from clients to my own children (who I would never scare for no reason)immediately as my head cleared. The Police have no reason to dispute those findings so I don't have any Idea why anyone else would. Both clients were given return hunts and the subject was closed accept for the ongoing Police investigation. Two of those clients belonged to Blair World Wide and the other one was from a private referall.

Once I got back on home ground I again slept soundly with prescribed medications and started building my strength between visits from my friends and family, until the following week when I had an Early Elk Hunter near my house. We hunted for a day or two and then took about a 350 Bull late one evening . During that time with the Elk client two landowners from Mexico arrived and collected their deposits on both Deer and Sheep hunts for December 2009 and January 2010. They were both open about the visit in front of the Elk client and why shouldn't they be they had nothing to hide. It is common knowledge that the Mexican Landowners want paid up front for their permits at least 30 days prior to the hunt, it is the norm not the exception. I then went about completing the rest of my Arizona fall schedule but I was having more than a little difficulty physically with some of the hunts, I assumed based on the concussion. My equlibrium was off, I tired easier than I had and just didn't feel very well overall. I even went to the Kane County Hospital in Kanab, Utah and was administerd an IV while I was on a Kaibab Deer hunt and struggling. (Medical Documentation is available)

The deposits having been paid along with the second payments I made arragements to spend Christmas with my Kids in Casa Grande, Arizona and then cross into Mexico in early January. I didn't feel worth a damn over that Christmas break but I had it to do so I crossed the border at Nogales in my Ford pickup on January 3rd headed to both the Sheep and Mule Deer Hunts. About 20 miles north of Santa Anna, Sonoro, Mexico I felt nauseauos and pulled off to the side of the Road where I began puking Bile and Blood. It scared the Hell out of me and I turned around and headed back to my primary Physician in Casa Grande,approximately 200 miles back north, I threw up all the way north and was very weak when I arrived, they immediately sent me to the Hospital at Banner Health Care in Chandler where I spent the next 10 or 11 days in serious condition having tests run daily to determine a cause.( Medical Records Available)..All during that time either my staff or I talked to the Clients and Mexican Land Owners keeping them informed as to what was going on and tried to get them all rescheduled. I had no idea at that time what was wrong with me nor did the doctor's. It is the assumtion of some of the doctors that my genetic's have a roll in this condition as I had a sister who died of a Liver condition at 38, and it was compounded by the 2009 beating plus the combination of diseases I had during my lifetime. Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Scarlett Fever, Tylenol use and other contributing factors.

Prior to my release the Doctor that was incharge of my case set me down and told me that I had "End Stage Liver Disease" and that it was in fact terminal and I could live anywhere from six months to two years., I find myself there now at the end of the first year having been taken to the Hospital (3) three times with very serious blood levels or bleeds and I did not think that I would ever see the light of day again on each visit. I am living in the Kingman area staying in a house that my sister has leased for me and I am in an inhouse Hospice program that began in May of 2010 (Records Available).

False Statements that I have read in all of this dialoge: I do not work for Blair World Wide Hunting I worked for the Mexican Landowners who paid me a straight $5000.00 per client finders fee to find the clients, get their paperwork( Gun Permits ,Photo's for the Cities, Accompaning each client to Mexico as their non hunting companion and evaluating Sheep for the Guide Teams). the Mexican's get the difference. I got my normal finders fee. All monies from Blair were paid to me and were then given to the Mexican's thru Bank Drafts, Transferrs, or they were picked up by the Landowners. Blair retains his commission and other fee's from the initial. deposit. I have worked for other booking agants in the past and that procedure is fairly common within their industry.

I have been served with three lawsuits two of which were dismissed for lack of activity in the past 60 days. That includes Brent Henriksen's which was dismissed this week by a Coconino County Superior Court Judge . (Dismissal's available) Since that litigation is pending my attorney told me not to talk to any of the parties involved pending a Court Judgement..I have not talked to anyone about these matters in the past several month's at his request.. Prior to that I was cordial and informative to the clients when I talked to them as was my staff. For quite along time now I have been on 15 Miligrams of Morphine twice a day and am often incoherent therefore I allow my friends, relatives or staff talk to the clients WHEN I AM MEDICATED OR AM INCOHERENT.

I didn't load the hunts if they were ever loaded I simply supplied an ammount to complete their requests when it was brought to my attention, non Hunting companions, Film Crews etc!!

I have never taken a dime from the Blair clients all of that money was handled out of Blairs office and the Mexican Landowners pay me either $5000.00 a Sheep Hunter or $500.00 a Deer Hunter. I completed those duties as best I could short of the hunt taking place as I was in the hospital, Gun Permits were bought, Tags were gotten from the Government of Sonora etc!! As for my personally booked clients all of the money was given to the Mexican Landowners and they pay me the fee, sometime reluctantly but they pay it.

I also recommended that Trip Insurance be purchased in my normal correspondence although none was to my knowlege. As you will note the excerpt that is on Sheep Ltds introductory Stating that I aws retiring was written FEBRUARY 1ST when I was under the assumtion thatr my guide days were done. I have had addition tests from Varied specialists that are of the same opinion as the one I first recieved I have " End Stage Liver Disease " which is terminal. Thus short of this letter to clear the air I have no attention of addressing this matter again as it is in the hands of my Attorney as per his request.

Larry Heathington

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This needs to be at the top of the page

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hopefully Blair and Heathington end up like this guy

http://kjrh.m0bl.net/w/main/story/22856943/

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
LRNut,

I have never had any contact with Blair except getting annoyed by their pre-recorded phone messages.

I always buy trip insurance from the most-recommended company that the booking agents I've dealt with recommend. So far I haven't had to use it, but know people who have, and things worked out well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
splattermatic,

Who did you buy your trip insurance from?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
boy, ??
you just had to ask that didn't you....
been about 7 years or more ago now, and don't remember. i don't have any of the paperwork anymore.
did a safe cleaning a few years back and looked at all of it, laughed, and tossed it.

i can tell you, it was a company with a business envelope sized 3 fold out pamphlet. that's all i can remember.

Last edited by splattermatic; 03/16/11.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I've done the same thing with a lot of "important" stuff!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Trip insurance or no trip insurance, right is right and wrong is wrong! Blair should refund every damn penny!

I hope they both pay heavily for this crap

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (35, arky65, 240NMC, 10Glocks, afisher, 12 invisible), 1,534 guests, and 855 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,603
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.