Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Realistically, I am in the minority of teachers in that I enjoy hunting and fishing. The Assistant Sup in charge of Human Resources wanted me to notify highly professional teachers that we can use more talented people in the FNSBSD.

He specifically wanted me to try to attract:
1) SPED teachers,
2) Occupational Therapists
3) Speech Pathologists
4) Physical Therapists
5) School Psychologists

Classroom teachers
especially highly qualified in Mathematics and Science.

There will also be several expected openings in PE/Health education.

CTE teachers are also sought after.

The job fair will be held March 26, 2011
8AM-5PM

You can go through the process to register at the SD Website:
www.k12northstar.org/human-resources/current-job-openings

email: maria.muchak12northstar.org
phone:907-452-2000 ext 380.

Why would I try to recruit highly qualified teachers off of this site?

I would like to get as many 24 hour campfire people in Fairbanks as possible and I believe that we have a better grasp on living and how students should grow than the antigun commies found elsewhere. They have a good wage here and will pay up to 5000 for moving expenses.

So if you like to hunt and fish and want to look at moving to AK- then here it is.

Sincerely,
Thomas

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hope you get some interest. Times sure have changed. When I was in school, going on 30 years ago, most of my male teachers were hunters. Deer season opened on the Monday following Thanksgiving. The first two days were a school holiday, as no one, staff or student, would have shown up! It was a great time and place to grow up.

Jeff

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good on you Thomas

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I can't think of a better place in the world to be for a teacher than Alaska. Some teachers in my area really get after the hunting/fishing.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I just brought the idea up to the wife...and looks like it's too far from her parents. Why didn't I get to Alaska before I got married???? On the plus side, teaching in the midwest gets me on a lot of my students family farms!

Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My fiance' is all for it.( Shes teaching now) I graduate next May with my Elementary Ed degree, so lets just hope she doesn't change her mind when that rolls around. haha

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thomas is promoting North Star Borough, the Fairbanks area, so urban. And it is a good place as the populated sections of Alaska go.

And, hopefully without taking anything away from what he is doing, but also exposing more rural districts as well which also have some very good options for outdoors-teachers, here's a link to many other districts also.

http://www.eed.state.ak.us/DOE_Rolodex/QInternet_1.cfm

There are challenges in either setting, and some really good and interesting life options.

Thanks for bring this up, Thomas. It's hiring season now in many districts. smile

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At the end of April I will be a certified secondary social studies teacher. The job prospects here in Pennsylvania are not looking too good right now. I have been strongly considering moving to a different part of the country for work. But I'm not totally sure how to find a job in a place like Alaska. Any advice?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
http://notes4.state.ak.us/wa/postapps.nsf/JobsByDept?OpenView

http://alexsys.labor.state.ak.us/

you can start here, many of the jobs require you to be a resident but not all of them do.

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Go towards the Bush. Once you get into looking at specific districts- then Klik or I can help steer you towards goods sites and away from Bush Hell. There are places out there where people are unfriendly, water is terrible, expenses are very high and the hunting and fishing sucks. I taught in several different bush districts before I made the transition to town because of my child and my ailing father. Your interest on a hunting and fishing site is a good start. Administrators often try to sell the outdoors opportunities but beware.

There is presently a surplus of Social Studies people in FNSBSD pool. However, if you have a certain particular set of skills-like being a very qualified coach(Basketball, Football, Wrestling) then you might jump above a long line of long term subs and other people in the applicant pool.

Sincerely,
Thomas

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well to be honest I'm don't which specific regions would be good. I havent really thought of exactly where I want to go. Since there are few jobs available in this area, I have thought about the Western U.S. or Alaska. But not sure exactly where I would like, or where to start looking. I dont have a game plan yet.

Haha yea there always is a surplus of Social Studies teachers. What do you teach?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How would a History teacher with a Master's Degree and university teaching experience fit into the scheme of things?

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
I teach history and economics. I can tell you that I have taught every thing from elementary PE to Pre-Calculus in the Bush. Many social studies teachers take Praxis tests in different subjects and get in anyways.

The skill-set thing is important. They really like having people who have proven expertise in student activities. Things like Acca-Decca or being a competitive girls basketball coach can mean more for your chances of getting hired than your specific endorsement. There is a movement in Alaska towards correspondence programs and many teachers work that way too.

I can tell you that our enrollment is climbing with many people looking and finding work in the gold mining operations that are expanding.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
How would a History teacher with a Master's Degree and university teaching experience fit into the scheme of things?

Frustrated? grin Seriously, it would depend a lot on the individual's personality - and I think that's true regardless the ed and experience background. Lots of unique things about life in Alaska. Bush is the easier place to get a start, but not necessarily to get started.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Realistically, I am in the minority of teachers in that I enjoy hunting and fishing. Sincerely,
Thomas

No your not the only one. Many of us live/teach in the bush because the hunting and fishing is soooo good. Bag um and tag um!

Last edited by northwestalaska; 03/10/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I moved up here from Michigan in 2009 to teach. I brought my fiance with me. We got married in Kenai last June and she now has a great job too! We love it. smile

I am rather certain I love it more than she does wink. But, she has a lot of good friends and hobbies.

Her love for AK can best be explained by the associative property of addition.

ex. (Jesse + AK)+ Jamie = Love
(Jesse + Jamie) + AK = Love
(Jamie + AK) + Jesse = Love

The retirement systems for teachers up here is not the greatest. (defined contibution 401K, no Soc. Security)

The pay compared with the cost of living here compared to the midwest isn't great either, but not terrible. In 2009 when I did all of figures it was about 10k short per year compared to the cost of living.

AK is sweet though, lots of groceries walking and swimming around. smile Its beautful place and a person certainly won't starve to death.

Last edited by SpartanGunner; 03/11/11.

If you are going to be dumb - you've got to be tuff.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Shame. I have a degree in Elementary Ed but not in a position where I could relocate that far away right now.

Good opportunity though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You forgot to mention the biggest bonus of being a teacher in Alaska, you get the best part of the year off! That has to beat any sort of retirement program wink

As far as University teaching experience, Fairbanks would be a good local to consider as you have an excellent university, and the K-12 options.

O
O
In Southeast Oklahoma 75% of teachers (male( hunt and/or fish.

O
O
Originally Posted by keystoneguy
Well to be honest I'm don't which specific regions would be good. I havent really thought of exactly where I want to go. Since there are few jobs available in this area, I have thought about the Western U.S. or Alaska. But not sure exactly where I would like, or where to start looking. I dont have a game plan yet.

Haha yea there always is a surplus of Social Studies teachers. What do you teach?

They why do the majority of HS kids not know social studies attributes?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 68 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,394 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,046
Posts18,500,919
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.