Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Whats working best for prairie dog shooting when shooting off of a portable table - Shooting bags like the bull bags or more traditional rests like Caldwell's etc?

Thx.

Last edited by ducttape; 03/09/11.
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I use the outers swivel job, it's shaky but I get more shooting because I scan for pds through my scope.

...nnnnnnnnnn.....there's one....POW.......there's another...etc.

HM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Outers Varminter rest is the BOMB for ground squirrels not too far away, but tooo shaky and unstable for true precision shooting. I use mine a lot, but have bags handy for when I want to shoot longer distances with my pure bench gun.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Either will work. I'd check either ahead of time and make sure the set-up is high enough to keep you from hunching over all day. Some extra height or a lower stool might be in order. Do you have a rotating bench? If not, a bipod and a rear bag might be better. It's a little quicker to change direction on a non-rotating bench. Good luck on the hunt!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
+ 1 on the NO hunching over! Set up the rifle so you are resting easily and completely upright. UPright and comfortable Works MUCH better for heavy kicking rifles, too.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by tt35
Either will work. I'd check either ahead of time and make sure the set-up is high enough to keep you from hunching over all day. Some extra height or a lower stool might be in order. Do you have a rotating bench? If not, a bipod and a rear bag might be better. It's a little quicker to change direction on a non-rotating bench. Good luck on the hunt!

Good advice, thx. I'm getting a Harris BR bipod with the swivel - my experience with the bags and with the caldwell rest is it's cumbersome to move around on the table for quick shots in different directions.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Ducttape: I always take along an assortment of the wonderful Dog-Gone-Good shooting bags - fronts and rears and window ledge types.
I highly recommend these top quality American made bags, to you!
I also take along on every Prairie Dog Safari at least two sizes of Harris swiveling Bi-pods.
And I take along a home made front rest tri-pod that fits in a day pack and offers VERY steady shooting when I head out on foot and intend to shoot from the prone position a lot.
Under field conditions and off of my various portable benches or over my hood or over my camper shell top while standing on the tailgate of my truck - the Dog-Gone-Good bags offer me the steadiest aim - thus a higher percentage of hits.
Make room for all three - a good wedge type shooting bag, a Caldwell rest and the Bi-pod.
Besy of luck to you when you get out.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (7mm_Loco, 35, Allen Martin, 300_savage, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 7 invisible), 1,728 guests, and 1,019 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,477
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.