#50556 02/05/02
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Dave, Consider this.
<br>
<br> I would judge that you are somewhere around 50 yrs old.. Mules have a good working life of at least 25 years, 35 if you treat them right. If you do decide to go with a young mule, the only living thing you will have around you as long or longer is your wife and kids. At our age, I'm 58, we don't have time to do this many times, as it takes about 5 years to find out what you really have. Now you can always send a mule down the rode, and if you look long enough, you may find a mature one you can live with. I didn't say it was impossible, only that I have never had that good furtune. So my advice, is if you are serious about this, Make sure it's what you want. In 5 years you don't want to go down the road on a big headed, cow hocked, ewe necked, pig eyed mule, when you could have just as easily have a real looker, with good confirmation and disposition for just a little bit more money. Remember with a horse ot mule, the cheapest part of he deal is the purchsase price.
<br>
<br>I have bought yearlings that have not even been halter broke that have come out ok. Just took more time. Some turned out ok some didn't look as good.
<br>
<br>This older mule I have is a good example. The guy I use to buy mules from, tried for a year for me to take him. I didn't like his build, but his disposition was second to none. His feet are too small and a pain to shoe,and I have to keep shoes on his rears all the time or he will roll the inside horn off so bad that there is nothing to nail too. His cannon bones are the size of a goat, and he always looks like he needs more groceries, although he has fat over his kidneys and a crest on his neck. Yet, I wouldn't sell him for any price. He goes where I point him, goes back to camp in the dark, packs, drives and rides, doesn't kick ,bite , chew or goes with those who do, comes when I call him, shoes easily and loads in a trailer wih no trouble. There is lot he doesn't do, but he does what I want. BUT, If I had put the same amount of time in a better looking mule, I would have been happier yet. The mule I had to put down a few years ago was even better than him
<br>
<br> If you can't swing it financially right now, look at an older horse, 14-18 yrs old that will do you for a few years and you don't have to put a lot of time into. Bide your time and get picky. If t doesn't sound right, it probably isn't

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I just talked to a friend of mine out east. He's getting ready to go to the Missouri sale. He agreed with me, should be able to pick up a fairly good weanling/yearling for $800. He doesn't have any colts for sale, only a 2 yr old out of his jack and a curly mare. Curly horses are actually a breed that have (whatelse) curly hair. and I mean curly. It would be different. She has been handled, probably pretty gentle. Picks up her feet. But 2 yrs old. He didn't put a price on her and I'd be surprised if he really wants to sell her..

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I know that you are right. I still look back and remember times that I cut corners, deep down i'd like to be able to have something that I could pack my camp in on this year even if I walked. Who knows, maybe someone with an older head of stock needs to move or needs a different home for the critter. Sure would hate to have to feed an animal that was doing me no good as it couldn't be used or handled. I'll just start saving up now for the time that you retire. I better have another donut so that I can start getting in shape for this year, what do you think?

Hunt smart, hunt safe
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Well have one for me too. I'm just about in the shape I want to be at the end of winter. One other option for this year. You can rent for a season. Probably would be about $300 plus deposit.Sombrero Ranches renta horses all across northern CO during the seasons.They haev a bunch of corrals set up and will usually drop them off at the trail head where you need them. Horses are so-so. I have seen some good, some bad, but all usuable.Tack is nothing to brag about though, Pack saddles are useable, but the riding saddles are in pretty bad shape, usually only single cincha, no breast strAp or britchin.

T
T
I sure agree that the way to go is to start with a young mule. My method of doing so is to breed a mare of good disposition to a quality Jack. My idea about it is that a mule will remember anything ever done to it and call forth that memory at the most inconvienent moment possible. Think about it, do you want to find out, on a narrow mountain trail, high above jagged rocks, that the ONLY thing in the world that your mule is terrified of is a backpacker whistleing Inna-gada-da-vida? Might make a good story to tell your hospital roomate but after a few months he will get tired of hearing about it. Im planning to start a small herd of Throbred and draft cross mares here at the Forge and breed them to a Mammoth Jack. Anyone know of any good Jacks in the Mid West area? Anyone that ships semen? Lemme know. Thanks, The Dutchman

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
go to www.mules.org/forum, Should be able to find one. There were a few people that was posting concerning frozen semen a while back. My only experience might have been a few years back in the late late elk season. It was pretty cold.
<br>
<br>Mammoth jack stock probably would be easier to find in the Missouri area. Ever go to the Columbia mule sale in Columbia MO? There is one coming up in Sept. Lots'a good contacts ther, another contact would be Mules & More Magazine. They have a web site

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

441 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 2,659 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,816
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.