Print Thread
Hop To
#5054054 03/17/11
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I ordered a recoil lug from them a couple of days ago. The order was declined because the lug manufacturer does not have an export permit. I do not blame Brownells.

A recoil lug.

I know that it attaches to a firearm. I know that restricting parts leaving the US is designed to reduce bad people from getting their hands on stuff.

A recoil lug.

I yearn for the return to the daze when I could order whatever I wanted from the States - bullets, barrels, scopes, etc - and did not have to worry about permits, dandruff or jihads.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
AMEN. Obama is one paranoid SOB...

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Actually, it was Bush, but it doesn't matter. The whole world has gone crazy and the little guy is suffering as a result.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Things have gotten worse on the "exporting to Canada" front since Obama came into power...

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Actually most of the blame lies with Jean Chretien and Alan Rock.When Canada was offered the opportunity to be exempted from these export laws(after 9/11),Chretien declined after Rock told him we did not require US made firearms parts or accessories in Canada.Good old Alan Rock.......Gotta love those Liberals eh! Monashee

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Monashee;
I hope the spring has begun at least a wee bit in your part of the world Monashee.

I'd not heard that particular tidbit of information regarding our esteemed leaders of the left, but it surprises me not one bit.

While I can't say I wish ill towards any man, Mr. Rock certainly is an example of leftist elitism taken to extremes isn't he? I still recall his immortal words when somewhere over 10,000 gun owners showed up on Parliament Hill and he muttered something along the lines of "I don't count heads".

Ah well, those gentlemen provide yet more reasons to remember all the Liberal Party has done for us isn't it?

Have a good weekend Monashee.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Hi Dwayne,if the damn snow would go I'd be lookin' for griz tracks this weekend,I've heard of one out already.We have a friend from Oroville here,she was shocked at the amount of snow we still have.Canada was one of the only US allies that declined the exemption offered by the States.That's why the Brits,Germans,and Dutch can still buy Leupolds(and lots of other goodies)from the States while we cannot! Monashee

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The situation is crazy alright. But...if you travel to the U.S. by motor vehicle you can bring back some of the stuff. Last year we had a vacation in S.D. and I purchased brass, bullets and some other supplies (not powder or primers) and simply added those items to my list of duty free goods with no problems. The only question I was asked was whether or not I had any explosives.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
We need to just annex America's Hat.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Rooney
The situation is crazy alright. But...if you travel to the U.S. by motor vehicle you can bring back some of the stuff. Last year we had a vacation in S.D. and I purchased brass, bullets and some other supplies (not powder or primers) and simply added those items to my list of duty free goods with no problems. The only question I was asked was whether or not I had any explosives.
Bullets and brass are on the US export permit list,if you had been checked on the US side by ATF or Homeland Security(the number of spot checks on the US side is increasing),you would have been in for a world of hurt.It's not worth it,those guys have no sense of humour and the least that can happen to you is seizure of goods and a 5 year US travel ban.Monashee

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Try western gun parts. They are canadian and can get just about anything for you.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Monashee
Actually most of the blame lies with Jean Chretien and Alan Rock.When Canada was offered the opportunity to be exempted from these export laws(after 9/11),Chretien declined after Rock told him we did not require US made firearms parts or accessories in Canada.Good old Alan Rock.......Gotta love those Liberals eh! Monashee

Seems to me that we should be lobbying the Conservatives to request that we be included in the exemption now. I can only imagine the astonishment of US officials when thier neighbour declined such an option.
IMHO this should be as high a priority as getting rid of the Registry.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Agreed.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Monashee...checked with Canada Customs about bringing those items back before we left. No problem with bringing back components...again, no primers or powder.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rooney;
As Monashee said though, the legal issue of importing most reloading components isn't at all with Canada Customs.

The legality issue is with the various branches of US law enforcement. If they find non-citizens (us Canucks for instance) in possession of reloading components, they will often seize them and make our day memorable in a negative way since we are in contravention of US laws.

I cowboy occasionally for a chap who is a retired Canada Customs officer and another fellow who joins us is still active as a Canada Customs Inspector. We discussed this very thing last spring branding day and the consensus was that Canada doesn't care about components. The sticky wicket is that you need to arrive at the Canadian border undetected by US Law Enforcement, who tend to care very much about it. frown

Hopefully that was some use to you and I hope you and yours have a good weekend.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Okay Guys, with you now. Thanks for the information. Have a great weekend yourself Dwayne. I must say that I enjoy your posts immensely...you certainly have a great way of communicating in writing!

All the best

Paul

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had a Kahles 6X Helia C scope seized by a Department of Homeland Security agent from a FedEx facility last week. Bought the scope from a fellow in South Africa on GB.....I have the ATF interceding to identify the scope as a hunting, not military type....

It's been a nightmare thus far but I am hopeful ATF will be able to clear things up with DHS.....

DHS agents are conducting routine checks on shippers, looking for illegal items being shipped....

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Reiche
Try western gun parts. They are canadian and can get just about anything for you.

Just picked up a follower for my Marlin 336sc that Marlin USA would not send me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (2500HD, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 1minute, 70 invisible), 2,114 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,783
Posts18,495,955
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.