Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Another vote for a Win. Extreme Weather.

I agree, and I thought long and hard about a 338WM before I bought my Extreme Weather in 30-06.

The 26" barrel on the 338 was a deal-breaker for me, and with the flutes it can't be shortened much.

The 22" 30-06 is very handy.

In a 338WM I'd want 24" maximum, with 22-23" being better.

The Ruger Hawkeye Stainless 338WM (sans-flutes) can be shortened.

And I really love the 338RCM in the stainless Ruger carbine too. I am still fighting the urge to grab one of those. The newness of the chambering is holding me back.

_

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Another vote for a Win. Extreme Weather.

I agree, and I thought long and hard about a 338WM before I bought my Extreme Weather in 30-06.

The 26" barrel on the 338 was a deal-breaker for me, and with the flutes it can't be shortened much.

The 22" 30-06 is very handy.

In a 338WM I'd want 24" maximum, with 22-23" being better.

The Ruger (sans-flutes) can be shortened.

I would love the 338RCM in the stainless Ruger carbine too. I am still fighting the urge to grab one of those.

_

My exact sentiments. By the way how accurate is your EW 30-06??? That's going to be my next new rifle purchase. You know I wouldn't feel undergunned with a handy ol 30-06 with 5 in the mag loaded up with 220 partitions cool

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My exact sentiments. By the way how accurate is your EW 30-06??? That's going to be my next new rifle purchase. You know I wouldn't feel undergunned with a handy ol 30-06 with 5 in the mag loaded up with 220 partitions

Sorry, I can't tell you about the EW accuracy yet. Mine is still unfired, waiting for the right scope.

But there have been multiple reports of stellar accuracy. In fact, I don't ever recall reading a negative report. I think it's as safe a bet as you'll find in a rifle you'll like.

And I agree too with you on the 30-06 with 220s. Plus, I know I can shoot it well.

A 338WM that weighs the same as the 30-06 . . . maybe not so well.

_

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good luck with that EW, I'm jealous blush. Keep hearing how accurate they are and I'm wanting one pretty bad. Can't beat the ol 06 either IMHO.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
...Decided on SAVAGE. Model 70's are a bit scarce right now (apparently selling very well - demand greater than supply) and the long term viability of the Ruger 338RCM scared me a bit...I ordered him the New Savage 116 "Bear Hunter" that they are introducing this year. Has accutrigger, accustock, camo, fluted stainless steel barrel with their patented muzzle break...much more attractive than your typical ugly Savage rifle although they have a great reputation for accuracy. Thanks again for the help/suggestions guys -

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I am sure you will be very happy with your new rifle.

It's a rare Savage that doesn't shoot extremely well, and it sounds like the one you bought has all the nice features.

I'll have to take a lok at one of those. It sounds like a really nice rifle, and maybe the 338 I could use.

Good luck with it.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Trade it on the Ruger while you still can!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been 4 times for Grizzly and have killed them with a Remington 300 Weatherby, a Mark V Ultralight 300 Weatherby, and a Model 70 338 Win Mag. All of them worked just fine. That said, I like the Model 70 SS Classic the best.

Of the new guns made today my first choice would be one of the new Model 70's followed by the Ruger. Ruger's are very popular in Alaska. There very durable rifle's. But hey, if the wifes buying, go big! Go for the Winchester EW.

Whoops, saw you already made the choice. I'm not keen on Savages except for 99's and punching holes in paper. But, we all have our preferences. Hope he likes it. I'd go trade it in if it was given to me! I'd come up with some excuse like a different caliber was needed.

Last edited by JBabcock; 03/18/11.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg
...Decided on SAVAGE. Model 70's are a bit scarce right now (apparently selling very well - demand greater than supply) and the long term viability of the Ruger 338RCM scared me a bit...I ordered him the New Savage 116 "Bear Hunter" that they are introducing this year. Has accutrigger, accustock, camo, fluted stainless steel barrel with their patented muzzle break...much more attractive than your typical ugly Savage rifle although they have a great reputation for accuracy. Thanks again for the help/suggestions guys -

I'm sure he'll be very happy with it. A lot of my friends use savages and they have never really had any problems with them. I'm sure it will be a good shooter, as every savage I've ever fired has been extremely accurate. Good luck with your hunt.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Savages don't send the blood rushing to my nether regions, but my buddy showed up with one in 30-06 at our Colorado elk hunt. It had a nice walnut stock, stainless fluted (?) barrel, the new barrel nut... I'm not keen on the Accutrigger but it doesn't suck. Anyway his rifle was pretty classy and, it did shoot.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Savages don't send the blood rushing to my nether regions, but my buddy showed up with one in 30-06 at our Colorado elk hunt. It had a nice walnut stock, stainless fluted (?) barrel, the new barrel nut... I'm not keen on the Accutrigger but it doesn't suck. Anyway his rifle was pretty classy and, it did shoot.

They do shoot Jeff. As much as I don't care for them, you have to be honest with yourself and others and openly admit that fact. I've never seen a bad shooting savage (hell even the stevens 200's shoot). A friend had one of the older 110 wood stocked 300 win mags and I loaded up some 200 grain partitions for elk and shot some groups, after 2 shots I handed the rifle back to him and said I can't do another one blush. I looked through the scope and only saw one hole and said ah hell, I better atleast shoot 1 more to make a group. My arm was twitching before I pulled the trigger and my eyes were watering. I pulled the trigger and my damn arm went numb. Oh that [bleep] hurt. He thought I was kidding and he fired off 2 shots and couldn't do the last one. The group I fired was around .400" by the way, but it hurt like hell and left a bruise!!!Also keep in mind how much I love and shoot my Ruger M77 MKII 338 win mag. I've gone 40 rounds of 338 mixed in with 50 30-06 and 50 308 win in a days shooting session. Something about that savage, It was a hard kicker!!

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg
....338 Win Mag - planning a grizzly hunt with my brother and his wife asked me to buy him a new rifle as a surprise gift (from her), $1,000 budget. Given the weather and general hunting conditions in typical bear country (lot of rain, heavy brush/trees interaction etc.) I'm thinking it would be a good idea to focus on a stainless/synthetic rifle. Several nice units out there - Winchester Extreme Weather SS & Savage Weather Warrior to name a couple. What would you recommend (and if you don't mind stating why, that would help)? Also, Is control feed an important feature/consideration when hunting dangerous game vs push feed units or has the engineering excelled to the point that this issue is no longer a factor? -thanks

Trouble is,most S/S rifles wear dogschit handles. Kimber rings alotta bells.

CRF is a grandiose Wives Tale..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I'll go with what Phil Shoemaker says, a stainless Ruger M77 with the boat paddle stock. He's never seen one fail on a hunt.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I dig Ruger,far more than most. They are typically twisted/throated well and do nice things,as per their barreled actions go.

But the boat paddle is a totally dogschit handle,who's greatest attribute is it's inherent ability to magnify recoil.

338's,especially so...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I dig Ruger,far more than most. They are typically twisted/throated well and do nice things,as per their barreled actions go.

But the boat paddle is a totally dogschit handle,who's greatest attribute is it's inherent ability to magnify recoil.

338's,especially so...................

I always thought that too, atleast with the 300 win mag I gave to my dad (now he suffers with it grin). He only keeps it because I gave it to him. Poor sucker laugh. That stock's best attribute is it is tough as hell and I know many guys here love em, but they are not for me.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Find a SS Rem 700 .338 for around $600, and then get a McM Swirly on order. That's a lot of gun for 1k..

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tough to pawn a 338 off to a Newb and to expect great things.

I'd be quicker to hand over a more manageable chambering,with focus being boolit selection and actual trigger time as being the money maker.

Would rather see a gent armed with say a Montucky 308/168X melding,than a 338 they cain't drive,irregardless of it's fodder...................

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Welcome back, Stick.

.338's aren't hard to drive. At least not in the right stock with a good recoil pad.

The M700 XCR has a stock that's easy to make fun of, starting with the fact that it's butt ugly. However, that stock along with the Limbsaver they used to put on them (I think they've changed) is a recoil-eating machine. Very easy to shoot. On my .338 XCR anyway, the stock has also proven itself to be extremely stable and not sensitive to rest or hold or sling pressure. Bought the rifle planning on changing the stock; probably 800 rounds into it I'd not even consider re-stocking that rifle.

I'll stick with what I said a few pages ago. Rem 700 XCR II.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You reiterate things nicely,but never on purpose.

Laffin'.................

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My experience trumps your guessing in this regard, and the gent did spec a .338.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

327 members (22250rem, 163bc, 12344mag, 22magnut, 10ring1, 160user, 36 invisible), 1,307 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,849
Posts18,517,532
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.