Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Anybody using one for woodsbumming or hunting? I'd like to hear your experiences and recommendations.

It's time for tractor riding, bush cutting etc. at the country place and I need to set up a chest-rig carried piece so as not to bang my grips up on tractor seat, hand carried tools, etc.

We have used a Micro on son's Buckmark .22 and I seem to hit better (with 51-year-old eyes) using them on his pistol and work carbines than I do with irons.

Thinking I may have Midway send me a silver Weigand mount made for my factory D&T '92 Mountain Gun in .44 Magnum. Set the dot sight far back as I can and perhaps have unneeded portion of the rail cut off to make it look a bit more aesthetic.

Then either get a Simply Rugged Chesty Puller or Blade-Tech rig that clears the optic.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
GB1

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For me that would be an awful lot of bulk - a large sight on a large mount. I'd go with a J-Point or Leupold DeltaPoint partly because the sights are trim, but mostly because they both offer a mounting plate that fits the factory cut in the revolver top strap. Screw the plate to the revolver and mount the sight to the plate and you're done.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Have you got one fixed up that way you could show, etc.?

[Linked Image]
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ColdCase1984

Here's a J-Point on a K-frame (photo stolen from 'net). Your MG is larger of course, so the sight will even seem more trim.

[Linked Image]
Here's the mounting plate that screws to the top strap:
[Linked Image]

In comparison, the Burris FastFire is also a nice sight and almost identical in size, but Burris doesn't offer a decent mounting system. You need all the hardware below in addition to a chunk of Weaver rail screw to the revolver:
[Linked Image]

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
That K-frame set up looks tidy. I've been watching all the Internet traffic about the Trijicon RMRs, Insight MRDS, Deltapoints, etc. being mounted on Glocks and Smith M&Ps and they look pretty good.

Problem is, I've already got the Micros so the Weigand/Aimpoint combo will have to be my low cost plan for now.

I'd thought about using the Aimpoint plate for my G23 or 35, but like the idea of having some effective shot loads in the third and fourth chamber and the extra oomph of the .44/180 combo to reach out and tap varmint/feral critters at 100+ yards.

Seems a G&A article about 20 years ago focused on a California rancher who used an original Mountain Revolver with a huge Tasco ProPoint on top to good effect.

Soooo, is anybody campaigning a RDS/Magnum revolver around the ranchette?

Last edited by ColdCase1984; 03/19/11.

[Linked Image]
IC B2

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Problem is, I've already got the Micros so the Weigand/Aimpoint combo will have to be my low cost plan for now.

We're kinda in the same boat. I had seen the J-Point mounts for S&W revolvers and then bought a FastFire on impulse assuming Burris had similar mount - no soap. I don't want to use all the additional hardware so for now the FastFire is shelved waiting for a new home.

I'd put the Weigand/Aimpoint set-up on a 6" or larger hunting revolver in a heartbeat. I'm sure it will serve you well, just not very svelte. wink

Robert Frost
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Don't have a Micro or a Mountain Gun... but I've been using red dot sights on handguns for years. I think the current set-up is an old ProPoint on one of the Desert Eagle barrels, C-More on a Buckmark, Fastfire on something... and then there's the Aimppoint CompML3 on the "M4" (wannabee). Very effective.

-R44

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have used a J-point on a guys STI at the range one day and it was very nice.

I have a Mountain gun and an Aimpoint Micro, the thought did cross my mind but I shoot the irons better than I expected and hated the thought of making a very portable 44 mag something else.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Update: finally got a Weigand Combat mount, dropped it on the Mountain Gun and plopped a silver Aimpoint R-1 Micro on top of it. Will try to get pics posted in next day or so. It looks great but if I can get it grouping right, may have a machinist buddy sculpt about half the mount away.

Shot extremely high and had to bring it down around 50 clicks or so to get it usable @ 50 yards. Shot some Remington UMC 180 JSPs and the best I did was about 3-in. at 50.

Those loads are supposed to be scooting at 1,610 fps outta 4-in. bbl., and they were quite lively to shoot.

Bit disappointed since I've had bugholes from .22 pistols with Aimpoints in past; but thinking some lower zoot handloads (e.g. 180 JHPs on top of 10 grains of Universal) might make it extremely friendly and accurate inside 100 yards.

Of course it may be me that's the problem. Highest recoiling pistol I've shot in a bit; was hoping to get a 150 yard zapper right outta the starting gate, but it could just be a matter of my Mtn. Gun liking another load better.

Still have high hopes for the ultimate tractor/ATV rig, so will contact Blade-Tech and Survival Sheaths this week to see about a chest rig that will accommodate the Aimpoint/Mtn. Gun Combo.

Note, though they look fantastic, my Eagle Secret Service grips look outstanding, those hot loads smack my weapon hand pretty hard. Need to find the Hogue grips it came with...

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I think that'll be a lot of fun. A friend once had something similar on an N-frame .45LC. At 50-yards, off hand, it was impressive.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Curious to see pictures. Thinking of a red dot on a revolver. Have an aimpoint micro that has been on my turkey gun and is now on my 10-22 and really like it. It held up fine on the turkey gun which is a SBE2 shooting nitro company loads with brutal recoil

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by JOG

Here's a J-Point on a K-frame (photo stolen from 'net). Your MG is larger of course, so the sight will even seem more trim.

[Linked Image]
Here's the mounting plate that screws to the top strap:
[Linked Image]

In comparison, the Burris FastFire is also a nice sight and almost identical in size, but Burris doesn't offer a decent mounting system. You need all the hardware below in addition to a chunk of Weaver rail screw to the revolver:
[Linked Image]

That really does not seem to unreasonable for guys who have a hard time seeing a front sight. During low light conditions a simple setup like that could be quite handy with some practice.

I would not mind practicing with something like that for a while.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was complaining earlier in this thread about the lack of a decent revolver mount for the Burris Fastfire. Allchin has a mount out now that looks good, but I can't confirm if it fits the Fastfire. I can't reach Allchin on the phone and no response to emails.

Originally Posted by Allchin
NEW S&W Mini STS Scope Mount (Also fits JP Optima 2000, Leopold, SIG, & Most Other Small Dot Scopes)

[Linked Image]

Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
http://www.allchingunparts.com/results.php?category=0

JOG, thanks for the lead on the above... just placed an order in hopes it will work with the Burris Fastfire I all ready have. I have been toting around my .45 Colt Mountain Gun with Ultra Dot in a big old fanny pack.

Plan A would be that this system works with Trijicon's latest RMR micro dot.... that sight is pricey but will be my next purchase if it would work with the Allchin base.

Please don't feed the trolls!
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for taking the plunge. I hope it doesn't end up being a wild goose chase.

The RMR is a nice sight. If that doesn't work with the Allchin take a look at the Leupold DeltaPoint, which looks to have the best mounting systems of any of 'em.

Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll do that. The 30 MM Ultra Dot really doesn't weigh much but it sure changes the "feel" and balance of a very nice revolver....

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Post some pics on how the new mount works out.

It will be interesting to see.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll work on that if I get it... so far all I have gotten back after using Paypal to pay for it is:

Your order has been received.

As soon as your payment is verified you will receive a confirmation notice and
your order will be shipped! Your order details are as follows:

That's never happened before? JOG posted that he wasn't able to contact this guy... hope he hasn't died or something....

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I received an email from John Allchin the morning:

I do not know [if the Fastfire fits the base]. If you would like to try one I will ship it to you and if it works send me a check. If it does not work send it back.

John Allchin

His offer is awfully nice, but at this point I'll just wait for 2ndwind's report.

Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad he is still alive.... off to check for email up date

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1minute, 358WCF, 06hunter59, 338rcm, 222Sako, 338Rules, 61 invisible), 2,367 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,541
Posts18,491,511
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.