Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Anyone have experience with these? How good do they penetrate? Are they as good as they are cracked up to be?

Jeszcze Polska nie zginela kiedy my zyjemy,co nam obca przemoc wziela szabla odbierzemy.

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
GB1

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
going to use them in a 500 NE in Tanzania this year. Heard they perform well.

Will also use TSX, as always, and NF in another gun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Performance is fine but feeding can be a serious issue in many bolt rifles.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Everyone I spoke to about them at the Dallas Safari Club convention including PHs had good things to say about them but I was strictly talking double rifle performance and velocities. I guess that flat meplat especially in the solids could be an issue

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The funny thing about them is when you look at them the meplat seems to be larger and flatter on those designed for bolt rifle calibers than the rounds for double rifles.
The ones for my 450/400 compared to those for my 416 Ruger are perfect examples.

In my camp there are four 375 Rugers and two 375 H&H and only one will semi-reliably feed the DGX bullets if operated fast. My daughter had her rifle jam when a bear charged up to within a few yards - fortunatley it veared off within touching distance - the steel jacket of the 375 DGX bullet caught on the chamber rim and she had completely pushed the bullet into the case. Her rifle will not feed them at all if operated fast.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B2

Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks guys

Jeszcze Polska nie zginela kiedy my zyjemy,co nam obca przemoc wziela szabla odbierzemy.

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
+1. They are also very sensitive to COAL with shorter than spec rounds hanging up in the chamber consistently. A real shame - hopefully Hornady is listening and will modify the shape - because the DGX/DGS bullet length makes them nearly ideal for standard-length case based cartridges.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 458Win
The funny thing about them is when you look at them the meplat seems to be larger and flatter on those designed for bolt rifle calibers than the rounds for double rifles.
The ones for my 450/400 compared to those for my 416 Ruger are perfect examples.

In my camp there are four 375 Rugers and two 375 H&H and only one will semi-reliably feed the DGX bullets if operated fast. My daughter had her rifle jam when a bear charged up to within a few yards - fortunatley it veared off within touching distance - the steel jacket of the 375 DGX bullet caught on the chamber rim and she had completely pushed the bullet into the case. Her rifle will not feed them at all if operated fast.

Damn. Thats never good.

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I also had a problem like Phil posted about his daughter and her rifle. So I will continue to use Woodleighs, Barnes solids and Swift A Frames in my rifles.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Tonk. Your talking about factory or hand loaded?

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Tell you more after Aug. 12. I'm shooting both in my ruger no. 1, 375 H&H mag. My son and I will be using those bullets for our DG hunt, in Zim.

maddog

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Sounds like that rifle needs some feeding work to be 100% reliable. I make sure that mine will feed Flat points (wide flat points)

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The only two rifles I have tried them in are a CZ 550 .416 Rigby and a Ruger No. 1 .450/.400.

They fed perfectly in the No. 1!

They also didn't cause any problem in the CZ Rigby, but I have done some work on that rifle to make sure it feeds a variety of bullets well.

In some penetration tests run alongside other premium, lead-core expanding bullets in both calibers, the DGX's performed quite well, retaining a lot of weight, expanding nicely and penetrating very comparably.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Her rifle will not feed them at all if operated fast.

A "tiny" detail that many people blissfully never learn about many rifles until the wrong time, and not always only blunt shaped bullets or specific case shapes. sick

Originally Posted by Mule Deer

grin

Slower can be faster, and sometimes a whole lot more reliable.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I used them in a 450 Dakota. Didn't have any trouble feeding but they shot to a POI about 5" below and to the right of every thing else (Nosler,NorthFork,and 4064). No problem-just an observation.
Very accurate loads. One 70 cal hole at 50 yds. I can't see to shoot irons at 100 anymore.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Factory ammo!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The only two rifles I have tried them in are a CZ 550 .416 Rigby and a Ruger No. 1 .450/.400.

They also didn't cause any problem in the CZ Rigby, but I have done some work on that rifle to make sure it feeds a variety of bullets well.

In some penetration tests run alongside other premium, lead-core expanding bullets in both calibers, the DGX's performed quite well, retaining a lot of weight, expanding nicely and penetrating very comparably.

My CZ 416 Rigby feeds anything you stick in it. I had the feeding checked before I ever fired it. If my rifles do not feed flat point bullets I have the feeding work done to make sure that thye will

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My son's CZ 416 feeds the DGX bullets well most of the time too, but if you really push it, feeding it rapidly from the shoulder, it will still bobble. And it's been worked over by one of the best.
On the 416 Ruger that I had I told Ruger of the problem and they said to send it back. I did and three months later they told me that they could not make it feed DGX bullets 100%. They then sent me another and it feeds OK when operated slowly - like most folks who don't know how to really operate a bolt action do when they take the rifle from their shoulder - but again, if it is operated vigorously from the shoulder the FN DGX bullets occasionally will hang up when the lip of the steel jacket catches on the chamber. That is also what happens with the .375 Rugers.
It also happens with my M-70 375 H&H and my Ruger .375 H&H if I use DGX bullets and seat them at the cannalure. If I seat then farther out they feed in all the rifles.

The problem is that with a flat nose and seated deep on the original canalure, the steel jacket of the bullet acts just like an empty case. And not many folks can make empty cases feed reliably.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Not many can is true, some realy top builders can't. Proper feed work is slow and time consuming and many do not want to fool with it.

Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
My son's CZ 416 feeds the DGX bullets well most of the time too, but if you really push it, feeding it rapidly from the shoulder, it will still bobble. And it's been worked over by one of the best.
On the 416 Ruger that I had I told Ruger of the problem and they said to send it back. I did and three months later they told me that they could not make it feed DGX bullets 100%. They then sent me another and it feeds OK when operated slowly - like most folks who don't know how to really operate a bolt action do when they take the rifle from their shoulder - but again, if it is operated vigorously from the shoulder the FN DGX bullets occasionally will hang up when the lip of the steel jacket catches on the chamber. That is also what happens with the .375 Rugers.
It also happens with my M-70 375 H&H and my Ruger .375 H&H if I use DGX bullets and seat them at the cannalure. If I seat then farther out they feed in all the rifles.

The problem is that with a flat nose and seated deep on the original canalure, the steel jacket of the bullet acts just like an empty case. And not many folks can make empty cases feed reliably.

I've read on other forums people have this problem. So only with the DGX? Not the DGS? Or both. IT's hard to visualize the problem. Guess i'll see when I get the rifle. I guess hand loading with other bullets solves that problem, there are lots of good 416 bullets out there, both solids and various expanders

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugeman, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 1minute, 1234, 117LBS, 61 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,880
Posts18,518,168
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.