Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RandyS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I bought a like-new, used Win M70 with Weaver bases already mounted. I didn't bother to remove bases prior to sale. Evidently, previous owner needed bases permanently attached.

Even if I wanted to use Weaver mounts, I would have removed the bases to ensure they are attached the way I want. I found the rear three screws have epoxy on them, and were fairly difficult to remove. The front screw on the receiver ring is stuck.

I have slowly heated the screw area with a propane torch, bare thumb as thermometer, to "as hot as I can stand it" level. I don't want to go hotter. I have broken three hollow-ground 3/16" screw driver bits; I've been lucky, so far. One option is to replace other base and screws, go with Weaver, but that is not the system I want to use.

Will a solvent remove or weaken the epoxy, such as acetone?
Is low level (non-temper removing) heat even effective for loosening epoxy?

I'm out of acetone and other solvents, and have no decent Weaver style rings in stock. I want to choose carefully before I start buying more "stuff".

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Acetone and heat work well in breaking down Loctite. However, epoxy is more resistant. I would soak it in acetone to see if it help. It may take some time.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
350 degrees to break down epoxy sticks in my mind somehow, and that's a lot hotter than you can touch.

Of course it would have to be applied carefully so as not to compromise heat treated steel. Might be best to have a pro do it, or at least consult on the job.

For a single screw I'd just use a soldering iron, and not worry about it.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What about using a hammer type impact driver?

Something like this .....

http://www.amazon.com/Tool-Aid-SGT14950-Impact-Driver/dp/B000I1X6RU

I used to work with removing epoxy a bunch. There's no chemicals (that I know of) that will disolve it. Soften it a little - maybe - and that includes extremely harsh epoxy paint strippers and a specialty expoxy solvent that I tried. The other problem is nothing chemical is going to penetrate down into the threads.

I'd say gentle heat along with an impact driver and a quality screw driver bit would be the best way to go. Hopefully you won't strip or break off the screw head in the process. A little dab of water based coarse valve grinding compound on the tip of the screwdriver bit will help prevent it from slipping.

Good luck.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another option is to heat a screw driver tip pretty hot, the put in in the screw slot. Let heat transfer for a few minutes, they try to break the screw loose while it is hot.

Some epoxys will withstand the heat of boiling water, so you may need to get it above 212 degrees.

The hot screwdriver tip should not transfer too much heat to the receiver, even if you get it red hot and just hold it on the screw head long enough to heat the screw 4 or 5 hundred degrees.

Heat will cause the screw to expand, possibly making it tighter. If the screw will not come out after heating and trying to unscrew while hot, let it cool to room temperature and try again.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No offense but, I don't think you'd get enough heat transfer from a hot screwdriver tip. The action and scope mount will soak up what little heat there is. You'd also risk losing the temper in the screwdriver tip/bit.

I'm thinking Paul39's idea of using a soldering iron to heat the screw along with my suggestions is the way to go.

Although, it's only because I'm egotistical and opinionated. laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Although, it's only because I'm egotistical and opinionated."

No more than me.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Soldering iron and hold it on the screw. Been there...it works.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I tried the red hot screwdriver thing once just to see - well to be honest I mostly didn't want to dig out the proper soldering iron. It works with repeated applications, enough to soften Lock Tite anyway. Would have been faster to rummage through the junk box for the iron.

Also please don't ruin a good screwdriver by heating it.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

This

2 many 22's and 2 little time
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Uses a clothes iron. Put it on 'high', set it across the base and give it 15-20 minutes. Make sure you're using a screwdriver tip that properly fits the screw slot...not a tapered profile.

Newer clothes iron have a feature that shuts them off if they're in the 'flat' position for a couple of minutes...make sure the one you use isn't that style. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have removed epoxy bedded barrels from stocks. I used a heat gun, as my gunsmith advised. I was told that you can break epoxy by placing the item in the freezer and taking it out and giving it a couple taps. Never tried that one though.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Heat always does the job with epoxies.

Freezing...not so much. wink -Al

Forbidden Zoner
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

This is the correct way to get it out without making a bad situation worse.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
You can go up to 900 degrees at least without affecting the temper. You will ruin the bluing before then however. Use a propane torch and heat the screw until it "smokes", let it cool and take it out. You want high heat and fast as to not let it migrate through everything else and ruin the bluing.

I epoxy my bases on but put grease on the screws so I CAN get them out when I want.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Blueing can withstand approx 600F . Human touch senses too hot to hold at only 150F.

"We are building a dictatorship of relativism which recoqnizes nothing as definitive and whose ultimate goal consists solely of ones own self ego and desires."Cardinal Rathzinger
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Heat always does the job with epoxies.

Freezing...not so much. wink -Al

The steel and epoxies have different coefficients of thermal expansion; that's why freezing causes a glued-in barreled action to pop free after a couple of days in the freezer. Couldn't hurt to try it with the epoxied screw.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Give somebody some epoxy and they will bed anything.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Sometimes resulting in a sticky situation...

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Epoxies are different, but not that much. They begin to break down at about 160-180F. That won't affect the steel at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,729 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,530
Posts18,509,800
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.