Print Thread
Hop To
E
ehunter Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Whcih do you prefer I have been thinking about using a pair of 12x50 vs carring the spotting scope they are lighter. I am looking at a mid line price binos? I don't do a ton of open country glassing since I live in the NW but a thousand yards is not out of the question. I was thinking of using them with a tripod?

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I carry both. The times I have not thrown in the spotter,(trying to stay light) I've regreted it.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You may be able to search around the optics forum and find more info on this, as it's been debated a few times. Nevertheless, my personal preference is a 10x42 binocular along with a 85mm class spotter. Portability of the spotter is not my main concern as I want the best image possible. I use the spotter an awful lot in the open country I hunt, which is why I do not use "big eye" binocs personally, as they, IMO, require a tripod to be used effectively. If I'm going to have a tripod I may as well carry a spotter is my thinking. There are many choices in mid priced binos that offer fantastic performance nowadays. Everyone has their opinion on which brands, but there are many. You don't need a $2000 bino to find and kill game. I'd have to ask what your budget is to offer any suggestions if you see fit, but that's the way I see things.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
E
ehunter Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I am using a 8x30 swaro as my main bino. I was toying with carring a 12x50 Cabelas bino they weigh in at about 27 ounces I am currently using a Leupole gold ring spotting scope but don't always carry it. I was just thinking cheaper lighter pair of binos might be sufficent for way out there?? It might be spring time fever over thinking it. grin We think we will be drawn for a Co elk tag and I was thinking about an option to the spotting scope?

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm in the "smaller is better" camp when it comes to carrying optics. I find that large, 10X binos often get left in the truck if I plan on putting in some miles on foot, and a big spotter will definitely stay in the rig.

However, a smaller pair of binos (mine are 8x32) get taken almost 100% of the time, and I don't feel handicapped with them when on stand, either.

Ditto for the spotter....a larger one might be great for going to the range or for practice on rocks, but for carrying, a smaller scope works best and gets used for hunting far more often (mine is a small, straight spotter with 50mm objective).

Last edited by seattlesetters; 03/22/11.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
IC B2

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
If it's a question of choosing between binos and spotter, I will pick binoculars at a heart beat. But it will be very nice to have a 8x-10x binoculars together with a fullsize spotting scope. It's on my wishlist that one day I can afford a set of big name 80mm spotting scope.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Your Bin is your basic tool. A spotter is a nice luxury, but for up to 1000 yards not very necessary for big game.

I use high quality 8x Bins, and they are adequate for everything so far, and I hunt regularly in Wyoming.

E
ehunter Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks for the reply's. I think I will stick with a good pair of binos and take the spotting scope. I am with every one else that doesn't want to pack dead weight. I was toying with the Idea I use binos a lot but am not in big glass country very often.

Last edited by ehunter; 03/23/11.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ehunter
Whcih do you prefer I have been thinking about using a pair of 12x50 vs carring the spotting scope they are lighter. I am looking at a mid line price binos? I don't do a ton of open country glassing since I live in the NW but a thousand yards is not out of the question. I was thinking of using them with a tripod?

I use both. 10x50's with a 62mm spotter.

If I HAD to choose only one then I would definitely go with the binos, and the tripod is a good idea.

I found that when I started making both a part of my every day gear I found out how much I used both and also how much I use them as a system. At a thousand yards you'd be suprised how much detail you can see at 45x...

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The binocular does a different job than the spotter. Binoculars help you find game that you haven't already seen. A spotting scope gives you a better look at something you've seen, be it with a binocular or the eye.
I'm a big fan of a 12X50 binocular. But there is no way I'd even consider using anything under 40 ozs. Way too much image shake.
A top quality 12X50 bin can, under many circumstances, show you as much as a 20-25X, 50mm spotting scope. But, when you get to the big 82mm stuff, even at 25X, they will show you more detail.
I would think the question would be first, do you regularly need a better look at what you find with your binocular ? Second, what does all of that weigh ? Can you get by w/o a tripod, say using a pack for a rest with the spotting scope ?
Like others have said, if I have to leave one behind, it will be the spotting scope. However, even thought I'm a fan of the 12X50 Leica BN, I'm going to seriously try out carrying my very light 50mm Nikon ED and use it on my pack, and my 8X32 Nikon LX for the next hunting season. Depends on where I'm hunting of course.
One of the most fascinating comments I've seen has been Phil Shoemaker's comment that if the little 6X30 Leupold isn't enough, then the next step is to break out the spotting scope. E

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Eremicus
The binocular does a different job than the spotter. Binoculars help you find game that you haven't already seen. A spotting scope gives you a better look at something you've seen, be it with a binocular or the eye.

One of the most fascinating comments I've seen has been Phil Shoemaker's comment that if the little 6X30 Leupold isn't enough, then the next step is to break out the spotting scope. E

E, surely you've found game with the spotter that you didn't see with your binos haven't you? I do it all the time. I wouldn't think of hunting open country mule deer without my spotter.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm in the good binoculars first crowd. Love having a spotter, but anymore it depends on where I'm hunting. If I don't know the area very well I find I use the spotter more. Most people will tell you that a really good 8x binocular will show you what a decent spotting scope will. While I normally agree with that, there are times when magnification does matter. I like the Bushnell Elite 60mm spotter or the very similar Nikon Spotter XL are easy to put in a fanny pack and carry all day. I got a 15-30x50 alpen model in a package of other stuff and found it to be surprisingly good. It is so small and light that I will put it in the pack.

If I'm going into the field with only one optic, make mine a good 10x50 binocular.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
As rule, I check out stuff that looks suspicous or something I've already identified. So, I may not know for sure that it is a live animal, but I have "seen" it before I put the spotter on it. Or I may just want a better look at a really good looking spot. Can't recall for sure, but I know my binoculars, especially the 12X50, have shown me something when I did that. Many times, in fact. Can't recall if my spotters have, but I agree it's quite possible.
I've learned the hard way not to glass much with a spotting scope. Too hard on the eyes. E

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Personally, I use my binoculars and spotter for two entirely different purposes. I use binos for hunting and my spotter for times when I will be in a stationary location for long periods of time... range time, digiscoping, spotting for other shooters when prairie dog shooting, wildlife viewing when not hunting (i.e. travel to nat'l parks, etc.). Even when I'm hunting out west, I don't bring my spotter with me. I'm already hauling around more gear than I'd prefer, so I make due with my binos for any glassing I'll be doing. Of course, part of the reason for that is I have a full size spotter with a relatively heavy tripod. If I had a compact spotter with light tripod or no tripod, I might change my mind and decide to pack it.

Ted

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

326 members (219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 204guy, 46 invisible), 2,536 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,239
Posts18,485,851
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.