Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Cryptor Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Here are the requested pics. I think the bluing was 'sanded' off I thought it was just oxidation but the more I look at the pics in full resolution I see what looks like traces of bluing.

So I still have the question of the Serial numbers matching there is a pic of both as well to help illustrate my confusion on that one piece of the puzzle.

Attached Images
Side holes.jpg (54.48 KB, 129 downloads)
Business end.jpg (21.03 KB, 433 downloads)
Forearm attachment point.jpg (65.49 KB, 123 downloads)
SN.jpg (44.18 KB, 81 downloads)
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What gunsmithing school are you going to Cryptor ?

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I doubt that the barrel is Savage work, too crude, and not properly roll-stamped, even if it has the same # on it. Since it has an unknown history, you could make up a wild story and sell it on GB or AA to some sucker. Based on the prices that junk is selling for, you're probably sitting of a $500 gem.

JEff

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I don't think the serial number is a mystery. Someone has simply stamped the serial number into the barrel. The forend attachment is quite crude and I agree with Jeff that there is not any aspect of the barrel that is Savage work. I am curious about caliber and a chamber cast should tell you whether the rifle is usable as is. Who knows, maybe it is a .25/20 and someone was using it as a single-shot.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The only 3 .257" bore cartridges that Ruger has ever, to my knowledge, cataloged are the 250-3000, 257 Roberts, and 25-06. You'd have to cut a lot of barrel shank off any of those to get to a small enough diameter for a 25-20 finish reamer to cut a clean chamber, but a 77V or #1V might work for the smaller diameter of the Savage 99 action.

I have a 99 varmint rifle that features a 99EG receiver, Ruger 77V 25-06 barrel cut down and rechambered to 250-3000, and my last set of skip-checkering 99CD wood. It is a 1 hole wonder with 75 and 90 grain Sierra HPs. It is heavy and long and surely not a rifle that you'd want to tote while deer hunting, but it never ceases to be a conversation starter on a pdog shoot.

JEff

IC B2

C
Cryptor Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I'm going to Yavapi Community College. It's in Prescott Arizona and from what I have heard has a pretty good reputation. I guess as long as you can get through the background check almost everyone does the internship at the Ruger facility. Being ex-mil and of course having nothing more than 1 speeding ticket when I was 17 means I should make it in. I just dont want to end up on the assembly line after graduation. I mean thats fine and all but the goal is to have my own shop. Since AZ is a great state for gun owners and my home I figure within a few years I'll have an established business. As soon as I get to the third semester I plan on applying for my FFL. The "class III/NFA' stuff can wait until I know I can afford to do that right. I think the FFL is only $250 so I might do it now and just tell them of course about school. But knowing the stupidest things can cause delays in the process I may just wait till they(BATF) know I'm serious and have a solid reason.

Yeah the mount was shoddy work for sure, at this point I'm just excited to gettin' er shooting again, safely.

C
Cryptor Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Oh yeah to 260RemGuy. . . Although I know you are right, it's just not my style. I prefer to earn it rather than scam it. But those sites are out of control with the markup. Sadly thats a pretty big problem in our society. It's crazy but everyday on the way to work I pass a gentleman with a 'Homeless Vet' sign. I don't usually cater to panhandlers, well my schedule changed so I leave work at 0430. Now every morning I see him get out of his truck parked down the street and walk to the corner of the interstate exit. ::sigh:: that really gets to me, but whats worse is if ANYONE took the time to even look at vet bennies they would know that ANY vet can get help at the VA. I want to tell him I'll drive him down to the VA one day and see what he says lol It's about 10 miles from his exit. . . thats a hell of a walk back for a few bucks.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
"you could make up a wild story and sell it on GB or AA to some sucker."

sounds like the kind of advice we've come to expect from 260Rem.

never let ethics or honesty get in the way of making a buck.

(not that he ever shares his gun site user I.Ds or F/B with us peons)

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Larry, Jeff was being sarcastic in regards to another rifle recently discussed which had a creative description.

Here's an accurate quote from one of your multiple bad feedbacks on gunbroker. Why would anybody give you their username when you go out of your way to add them to internet bad buyer lists?

You're pure slime, Larry.

Gun has nicks in stock and reciever has arks on it to. the guns looks like it has been Hunted with or just abued and he did not show in pics or mention in his description. Not pleased!!!!
Response: (left on 7/31/2010) As the auction said: IT HAD BEEN HUNTED. he asked no questions, just jumped on a good deal and now is suffering buyer's remorse. Added to blocked bidders list.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Larry Root,

You are too funny! Whenever you talk smack about another person's ethics or honesty it is certainly a case of the stove calling the kettle black! I doubt that there are many GB sellers who have a worse record when it comes to ethics and/or honesty than you. Don't you bother to read the negative feedback on WCCD2006?

The last time I called you out, you told me that you were going to have Rick Bin ban me. Well, I'm still here, not banned (yet). But, you're back with a dozen or so handles, trying to hide the lying MF that you are. If you're right and I'm wrong, how come you keep changing your handles and keep pretending to be different people, even going so far as to post with multiple handles on the same thread?

Just sayin' ........

JEff

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (257 roberts, 260Remguy, 22kHornet, 1Longbow, 2500HD, 257Bob, 51 invisible), 2,508 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,595
Posts18,511,248
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.