Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Here's what the EPA says you should do. Is this worth losing our good old incandescent bulbs? I think not. The Republicans in congress don't think so either.
REPUBLICANS TRY TO BLOCK BULB RESTRICTIONS

The Environmental Protection Agency has posted a list of clean-up instructions, in case one of the compact fluorescent bulbs breaks:
--Have people and pets leave the room
--Air out the room for 5-10 minutes
--Shut off the heating/air-conditioning system
--Be thorough in collecting broken glass and visible powder
--Place cleanup materials in a sealable container
--Put all bulb debris and cleanup materials outdoors in a trash container or protected area
--Continue to air out the room where the bulb was broken
--Leave the heating/air conditioning system shut off for several hours.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Don't those CFL bulbs contain a very small droplet of mercury?

If so, then the "Greenies" will be contaminating the enviroment with mercury when you consider the millions of bulbs used each year that will end up in the local landfill.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
How many folks does it take to change a CFL bulb?

11...1 to change it and 10 to help you put on the Hazmat suit if you bust one.

CK

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

POC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was just thinking about this lastnight. It seems our light bulbs are burning out really fast (regular incandescent).
And these CFL bulbs don't last any longer in my estimation than the regular ones.
Maybe I'll have to do some experiments....

If anything I state appears to be medical advice, I am not a doctor; be sure to contact your family physician before making any changes in your medical regimine.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by POC
I was just thinking about this lastnight. It seems our light bulbs are burning out really fast (regular incandescent).
And these CFL bulbs don't last any longer in my estimation than the regular ones.

My experience with them doesn't match the super long life claimed in the advertisements. I've had 3-4 burn out in the past year in the same five light fixture.

IC B2

O
OSB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I put it in a plastic bag and put it in the garbage the EPA would not come to my house to get it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I mail the broken pieces to my dhimmicrat senator.

Sam......

POC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Our bathroom mirror has 4 bulbs in it. I'll try using 2 different brands of CFL and 2 brands (cheap and expensive) regular in it, and see how long they last.
I wonder how long it would take to make a timer that timed how long a circuit had power to it...

If anything I state appears to be medical advice, I am not a doctor; be sure to contact your family physician before making any changes in your medical regimine.
POC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Try mailing it TO THEM. laugh

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by isaac
How many folks does it take to change a CFL bulb?

11...1 to change it and 10 to help you put on the Hazmat suit if you bust one.

CK

I heard Charles K. tell that one on Fox the other night. grin

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by POC

If both bulbs are burning out quick, take a look at the neutral connnections on your electric panel... they may be loose.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Here's what the EPA says you should do. Is this worth losing our good old incandescent bulbs? I think not. The Republicans in congress don't think so either.
REPUBLICANS TRY TO BLOCK BULB RESTRICTIONS

The Environmental Protection Agency has posted a list of clean-up instructions, in case one of the compact fluorescent bulbs breaks:
--Have people and pets leave the room
--Air out the room for 5-10 minutes
--Shut off the heating/air-conditioning system
--Be thorough in collecting broken glass and visible powder
--Place cleanup materials in a sealable container
--Put all bulb debris and cleanup materials outdoors in a trash container or protected area
--Continue to air out the room where the bulb was broken
--Leave the heating/air conditioning system shut off for several hours.

We do just like we did with 48 inch tubes.... sweep it up, toss it and go on with life.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
POC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
:thumbsup:

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MColeman
Originally Posted by POC

My experience with them doesn't match the super long life claimed in the advertisements. I've had 3-4 burn out in the past year in the same five light fixture.

must be something with certain fixtures.......ive got some fixtures that eat them like incandescents, others ill get 3 or 4 years out of......changing brand doesnt do anything.....my bathroom has 4 lights over the mirror all on one switch....one fixture goes through a bulb every 3 months one every year and the other two have the same bulbs in them from when i put them in when we bought the place in 2006.....i have no freaking clue what is going on.....

Last edited by rattler; 03/23/11.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just had one burn out that I marked the install date with a Sharpie.

It had a 5 year warranty and lasted a little over 4 1/2 years.

Not worth the hassle to pursue warranty, they've got 'er figgered.....

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
OT but.....tried one, threw it away, and bought all of the older ones that Target had on sale this past weekend.

4 for $1.99.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey POC, the turn-on cycle is what hurts CFLs more than anything, so if you use them where there's a lot of on-off you get significantly shorter lifetimes. Heat from a closed fixture is next. They've lasted 3-4 years in the 3 open fixtures that get turned on just once a day. One brand lasted about 5, don't remember which.

Still waiting for CFLs that work in cold weather, skeptical of the claims that some will work to 0οΏ½F and my garage gets colder than that. Plus the bulb I rely on most is 200W.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Hey POC, the turn-on cycle is what hurts CFLs more than anything, so if you use them where there's a lot of on-off you get significantly shorter lifetimes. Heat from a closed fixture is next. They've lasted 3-4 years in the 3 open fixtures that get turned on just once a day. One brand lasted about 5, don't remember which.

Still waiting for CFLs that work in cold weather, skeptical of the claims that some will work to 0οΏ½F and my garage gets colder than that. Plus the bulb I rely on most is 200W.

can you explain to me the various life spans of bulbs all connected to the same switch? and that the life spans are consistent in the various fixtures......i know no matter what brand i put in the first one its gonna last less time than the same brand put in spot 2.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Hey, keep using those and soon global warming will keep your garage above 30. grin

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pick up the glass and vacuum up any dust, there ain't enough mercury in one to worry about unless a small child was to eat the dust.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (anothergun, Amos63, 300_savage, 257robertsimp, 12 invisible), 1,683 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,448
Posts18,528,826
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.