C
Oh NO
You have to call out a Haz Mat team!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
At least if you break one, the room will get lighter.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rattler
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Hey POC, the turn-on cycle is what hurts CFLs more than anything, so if you use them where there's a lot of on-off you get significantly shorter lifetimes. Heat from a closed fixture is next. They've lasted 3-4 years in the 3 open fixtures that get turned on just once a day. One brand lasted about 5, don't remember which.

Still waiting for CFLs that work in cold weather, skeptical of the claims that some will work to 0�F and my garage gets colder than that. Plus the bulb I rely on most is 200W.

can you explain to me the various life spans of bulbs all connected to the same switch? and that the life spans are consistent in the various fixtures......i know no matter what brand i put in the first one its gonna last less time than the same brand put in spot 2.....

I'd bet the neutral connection is bad or weak so to speak. I've seen it a lot before and while it could be service from the provider, it could as easily be a single fixutre along with others, on the same switch, where the single one neutral simply isn't in as good a contact as it should be.

I'm sure tehre could be other reasons, but this one has come to the surface more than once with complaints and inspections here.... matter of fact just had it within the last few months again at a house. Tightened all the neutrals on the sub panel which were all loose and no loss to this point... where they'd lost bulbs and CFLs within a week or two of putting em in.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
will check that, your the first to give me any sort of a likely cause......thanks.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hadn't thought of the bad neutral, I'm more of an electronics guy, but you can make a case for that along with a weak hot connection. Other than that all that comes to mind is a heat difference. Hot is hard on CFLs, I think they all recommend an open fixture, which would mean new fixtures here and there for me. Also heard a recommendation that CFLs should be upright so heat dissipates more easily but don't know how big a deal that is. Good reason to hoard. And heat can shorten incandescent life too though not so much.

Pisses me off, have electric heat so there's no wasted bulb heat for a great part of the year.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

POC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll check my neutral wires too...thanks.

If anything I state appears to be medical advice, I am not a doctor; be sure to contact your family physician before making any changes in your medical regimine.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by POC
Our bathroom mirror has 4 bulbs in it. I'll try using 2 different brands of CFL and 2 brands (cheap and expensive) regular in it, and see how long they last.
I wonder how long it would take to make a timer that timed how long a circuit had power to it...

Try an electric clock... whistle

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NeBassman
Originally Posted by isaac
How many folks does it take to change a CFL bulb?

11...1 to change it and 10 to help you put on the Hazmat suit if you bust one.

CK

I heard Charles K. tell that one on Fox the other night. grin

Yeah, I was watching the other night when he said it, too . . . except Charles kept calling them "CFRs" wink.

I bought some of the CFLs after we remodeled our kitchen (5 years ago) but for the sole reason that we put more can lights in and I got tired of changing incandescents every 3 to 6 months. The CFLs have been "better" in longevity, but no where near the 5+ years they are supposed to last. When the die, I just chuck them in the trash.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Couple of eight footers threw craps in the garage. I "accidentally" dropped them and they broke. I swept up the detritus put it in the garbage and forgot about it. BFD.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
I find a ditch.

I at least want someone to blame for singlehandedly destroying the environment whilst everyone is fighting the evil bastard (me) to keep it "green".

What a [bleep] joke...

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I have a bunch of them in recessed light fixtures in my house. I think maybe 17-20, or so. About 4 of them died prematurely. The others are still going strong after 4 years. What I like about them is that they put out much less heat. The old ones would have me sweating in a few minutes if directly under them. I figure it saves on AC usage in addition to the directly lower watts. So I'd buy them anyways just to stay more comfortable. But their quality control appears to lack given the failure rate. I think Home Depot is supposed to take them for recycling ... but not 100% certain on that.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
What about all these alleged fires they are suppose to cause????? I think it's internet hype, but wifey is freakin' out over it all. I've never heard of them causing fires any worse than any other electrical device. Kinda like those plug in air fresheners that was all over the internet several years ago. Any word?????

K

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have that funny feeling about our wonderful Goobermint that when Incandescent bulbs are no longer available we will see Gomermind mandated disposal methods and they won't be cheap. I mean,would it surprise any thinking person,you KNOW there will also probably be a fee included too. Government run life is like that.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
What about all these alleged fires they are suppose to cause????? I think it's internet hype, but wifey is freakin' out over it all. I've never heard of them causing fires any worse than any other electrical device. Kinda like those plug in air fresheners that was all over the internet several years ago. Any word?????

K

I've not heard anything about that. I've had no fires or dramatic incidents with mine. Although, I can't recall the actual moments when those that failed did so. I just noticed they weren't working anymore.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Here's what the EPA says you should do. Is this worth losing our good old incandescent bulbs? I think not. The Republicans in congress don't think so either.
REPUBLICANS TRY TO BLOCK BULB RESTRICTIONS

The Environmental Protection Agency has posted a list of clean-up instructions, in case one of the compact fluorescent bulbs breaks:
--Have people and pets leave the room
--Air out the room for 5-10 minutes
--Shut off the heating/air-conditioning system
--Be thorough in collecting broken glass and visible powder
--Place cleanup materials in a sealable container
--Put all bulb debris and cleanup materials outdoors in a trash container or protected area
--Continue to air out the room where the bulb was broken
--Leave the heating/air conditioning system shut off for several hours.

Doesn't matter to me.. I'll never, EVER use one of those things or have 'em in the house... Mainly because Big Gov't says I hafta.. SCREW them, both bulbs and gov't..

I've been hoarding regular bulbs over the last 2-3 years.. Nearly enough now to last me the rest of my life..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
If you think that's bad you need to look at the MSDS sheet for household bleach, it actually says to use a haz mat suite when using.
Te EPA needs to overkill on safety precautions for the brain dead among us that couldn't find their azzes with both hands and a flashlight, or pour pizz from a boot if the instructions were written on the bottom of the heel.

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ruger 4570
I have that funny feeling about our wonderful Goobermint that when Incandescent bulbs are no longer available we will see Gomermind mandated disposal methods and they won't be cheap. I mean,would it surprise any thinking person,you KNOW there will also probably be a fee included too. Government run life is like that.

There it is, right there. Imagine the opportunity to build yet another useless bureaucracy to feed, clothe, house, insure and in every other manner support. Being a gooberment job you know it ain't gonna be a poverty lifestyle for them. They'll need agents all across the land. They'll have to set up and enforce some kind of counting system, probably have to fill out paperwork when purchasing new bulbs proving "proper disposal" of the ones being replaced. They'll have to build disposal stations all across the country.
These miserable "green" bulbs are going to cost hundreds of billions of dollars, probably trillions by the time it's all set up an "running smoothly".

"We're with the government. We're here to help. We know what's best for you."
Job creation.... (roll eyes)

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
First its light bulbs.

Next thing you know they'll require us to wear seatbelts in our own vehicles.

Then they'll require private business owners to not allow smoking.

Oh wait.....

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Know what'll be next?

Mandated state or federal inspections for ANY property that's for sale.. If even a SNIFF of mercury is found, the sale will not be allowed until a full haz-mat cleanup is done and no traces found thereafter..

So, if you break one in your home and clean it up as best you can, then decide a few years later to sell - for whatever reason.. The haz-mat inspection finds a sniff of mercury.. Nope - can't sell.. Gotta spend what could be tens of thousands of dollars to rid the premises of mercury.. Good luck with all that..

I don't mind mercury.. Couldn't care less.. What scares me is all the potential gov't intervention, rules and regs that I'm positive will follow..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just sweep it up and toss it in the trash.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,567 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,471
Posts18,529,343
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.